Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie setup help

Thanks

Newbie setup help

Hi everybody. Im new to all of this... kind of. Ive had my box over a year(somebody set it up for me) and it recently crashed. So Ive been trying to set it up myself and its taking me an age.

Ive flashed a new bootloader on and flashed the latest vix on to my box. Ive went through the setup wizard and done all of that. I just want to know what do I do next? picons, skin, n-line, and anything else? is there a certain order to do things in? and how to do them? Im a total newbie but Ive been looking at forums. Ive downloaded filezilla etc just not 100% on how to ftp etc...

thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    I would

ignore the skins and plugins for now, ie:- get it working first

use dreamset to load in one of the catseye lists from the SETTINGS for ENIGMA 2 forum (in the sticky thread)

set up both of the tuners in the setup menu

VuCC has filezilla for ftp , which includes help in its menu (but DCC can also be used if you are familiar with it)

telnet in using VuCC and use the passwd command to change the image password

ftp the picons to a picon folder on a rear mounted usb stick, after being formatted by the duo from its menu
    dont forget to map the usb drive as well , choosing the usb option for it

ftp the vu cccam 2.30 ipk to var/tmp and then install it from the plugin menu

ftp to var/etc and add any c line to the CCcam.cfg file and save it

you should read the NEWBIES guide for dummies, top of this forum, it tells you most of these basics

setup the EPG from the menu to store data on the usb stick in the rear slot

sort out the audio section for language and preferred audio, so you dont get NAR etc

3. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Cecil (22-11-2015)

Thanks
    Bootloader??

Clone Box Bud??

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,404 Posts
    The Bootloader is the CFE, in the Duo this is version 3, released in 2011, to avoid problems with newer, larger, images.
    You can read about it on the VU+ Home site:
    Code:
    http://vuplus.com/board/boardView.php?idx=3&pagenum=2

Thanks
    thanks for youre help. sorry about the late reply, Im just getting round to it now. Ill try my best. Im looking on the dummies guide now, on how to install cam. then after that I think its just for users with a motorised dish.

no not a clone box pal..I hope not anyways

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil For This Useful Post:

echelon (22-11-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    I would

telnet in using VuCC and use the passwd command to change the image password

ftp the picons to a picon folder on a rear mounted usb stick, after being formatted by the duo from its menu

can anybody help me with ftp the picons to a picon folder please. I have vucc and Im in filezilla now. I have the picon folder selected but cant work out twhat to do now? how do I ftp it on the rear mounted usb stick?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Using Filezilla is easy, it's just a simple File transfer Protocol system, where you see files on your PC, displayed on the left, and files on your VU+ displayed on the right.
    All you need is the username, root, and your receivers IP address, which you can find in the menu, probably under Network, and Adapter Settings.
    There is an excellent dummies guide, supplied by Lee, from Goldwafers, but this is based around the Black Hole image, but still worth reading:
    https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...ting-up-Vu-Duo

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

Cecil (22-11-2015), echelon (22-11-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickha View Post
    Using Filezilla is easy, it's just a simple File transfer Protocol system, where you see files on your PC, displayed on the left, and files on your VU+ displayed on the right.
    All you need is the username, root, and your receivers IP address, which you can find in the menu, probably under Network, and Adapter Settings.
    There is an excellent dummies guide, supplied by Lee, from Goldwafers, but this is based around the Black Hole image, but still worth reading:
    https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...ting-up-Vu-Duo
    thanks for the quick reply mate. Im learning all the time with this but it doesn't come natural. Im a complete newbie. Ive read that link you've shared but as you say its black hole. I just don't know what to do next in the picture ive shared.. its obviously something really simple, I just don't know where to send the picon file to (rear mounted usb?) Screenshot (16).jpg

Thanks
    I hope you have formatted this usb stick in the manner described in the sticky threads first

ie:- set the formatter going, insert when asked and allow the image to format it , then mount it as well

then you create a picon folder on your laptop and put all your picon files (pictures) inside it

then you select the picon folder on your laptop and click transfer to send the folder (with files) over to your usb stick

so on one side you have the picon folder on the laptop, on the other side you select media and usb and that is where this picon folder will be going , your ftp program will be transferring the picon folder plus all its contents

13. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Cecil (22-11-2015)

Thanks
    I hope you have formatted this usb stick in the manner described in the sticky threads first

ie:- set the formatter going, insert when asked and allow the image to format it , then mount it as well

then you create a picon folder on your laptop and put all your picon files (pictures) inside it

then you select the picon folder on your laptop and click transfer to send the folder (with files) over to your usb stick

so on one side you have the picon folder on the laptop, on the other side you select media and usb and that is where this picon folder will be going , your ftp program will be transferring the picon folder plus all its contents
    Ive done the rest but didn't put a picon folder on the usb. that's obviously where I have been going wrong... Ill try that now, thankyou

Thanks
    if you create a picon folder on the usb stick, then you only need to ftp the png files into it

ie:- dont have a picon folder inside the picon folder

the picon folder goes onto the root of the usb stick

the png picture files go inside it

Thanks
    well I thought Id done it. Ive rebooted my box and nothings changed..its been a long day :( Its filezilla im struggling on

Thanks
    Im not sure if it has worked or not. How would I know? Ive rebooted my box. so as it stands on my usb I have an epg folder and a picon folder.inside the picon folder is a picons folder, and inside that is the picons png images. is that wrong?

Thanks
    I already explained how it works, perhaps you should read my explanation again , I thought I made it crystal clear

and yes, its wrong

ps:- you asked about picons earlier, so why ask if you dont know what they are for or how to use them ?

you need to learn to research what you are doing, why you are doing it and only do it if its necessary , before attempting it , paying extra careful attention to the details, as the devil is in the detail

you seem to be adding things like skins and picons with no knowledge as to why you are doing so

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Have you mapped the USB stick? Mapped is just how you set it up, via the menus, in your VU+ Duo.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

echelon (22-11-2015)

Thanks
    like I say, im a total newbie. sorry I did read youre explanation but im on a few forums/websites etc trying to research and learn and it is frying my brain. Im stuck. Ive never done anything anywhere near like this before, but we all start out somewhere,right. I wouldn't have bought this box if I knew what was involved but I bought it from a recommendation(friend of a friend).

the only reason I know what picons are, is from going by different step by step tutorials (what Im stuck on) to set up my box. I just didn't know if there was a certain order to do stuff in. Sorry to be a pain, but Ive had no tv for weeks and I don't know anybody with this box. whenever I seem to be getting anywhere I get a software error message on my screen, that's what started all this in the 1st place(me doing all this). but that's a different problem that's just happened again tonight after about a week.

Yes Mickha Ive done all that mate

Thanks
    well , as I said earlier , you want a folder called picon on the root of the usb stick (media/usb) and inside it you want all the png files (the pictures , or picons)

but as you have no idea what they are for , why you are using them or what size picons to use , plus as you dont need them to actually use the box, I must question your decision to add them at this time

I only added them into my reply because you asked about them , I regret that decision now

to recap , you dont need skins or picons or plugins to use the box , save that learning process for later

you do not want folders inside folders unless told to do so , like the etc folder inside the var folder for example

which would be var/etc , where the etc folder would contain files , and possibly sub-folders too

there are no folders inside the picon folder, none whatsoever

if you have had no channels for weeks, you should concentrate on the basics, sorting out fta channels first, then moving onto scrambled channels, ignore the rest

Thanks
    an amended setlist for a newbie like yourself

I would

ignore the skins , picons and plugins for now, ie:- get it working first

use dreamset to load in one of the catseye lists from the SETTINGS for ENIGMA 2 forum (in the sticky thread)

set up both of the tuners in the setup menu

VuCC has filezilla for ftp , which includes help in its menu (but DCC can also be used if you are familiar with it)

telnet in using VuCC and use the passwd command in telnet to change the image password

insert a rear mounted usb stick, after being formatted by the duo from its menu (plug it in when asked to do so)
    dont forget to map the usb drive as well , choosing the usb option for it, after its formatted and mounted

you should read the NEWBIES guide for dummies, top of this forum, it tells you most of these basics

setup the EPG from the menu to store data on the usb stick in the rear slot (which you formatted earlier)

sort out the audio section for language and preferred audio, so you dont get NAR etc

Thanks
    Ok. Thank you. I've had the fta channels since my box crashed. I've loaded bouquets and epg and everything was how it should be. My next step really should have been to add my n-line. I apologise for getting carried away when I don't know what I'm doing. I'm just trying and obviously failing. When I said I had no channels, the only ones I can watch are hd, as when I watch anything else I get a software error. I don't know if anybody on here is familiar with it?. I couldn't connect to my box via FileZilla or any other programme, I've flashed my box from blackhole to vix, and I thought that was it, as I can now connect my box, but tonight, after watching an sd Chanel it crashed again

V.I.P
    Thanks
    It could be one of the plugins, or addons, that are causing the problem.
    You don't need anything added, to view channels, apart from an Emu, (Emulation), like CCcam 230, and to alter your CCcam.cfg file, using Filezilla, to add your line.
    Try loading a new image, then don't add anything, especially if you've got any backups stored.
    Stop trying to use Picons, or any EPG program, until you're certain your receiver is working correctly.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

Cecil (24-11-2015), echelon (23-11-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast