Thread: Marshmallow.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,241 Posts

Marshmallow.

Hi all,
    Just upgraded my Nexus 9 to 6.0 and one of the really useful additions is Google Now that works anywhere. While on an item and you want more info just hold the Home button. The battery now lasts that much longer apps are put into doze mode if they haven't been accessed for a while. A bunch of security updates. I am not that sure if the Nexus id faster just seems smoother.
    I haven't rooted it as I have three apps that won't work while rooted.
    Thanks Google.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by traveller View Post
    Hi all,
    Just upgraded my Nexus 9 to 6.0 and one of the really useful additions is Google Now that works anywhere. While on an item and you want more info just hold the Home button. The battery now lasts that much longer apps are put into doze mode if they haven't been accessed for a while. A bunch of security updates. I am not that sure if the Nexus id faster just seems smoother.
    I haven't rooted it as I have three apps that won't work while rooted.
    Thanks Google.
    If you're rooted and open supersu - you have an option to hide the fact that it's rooted - so you can be rooted and your apps will still work. I do this with 4od app.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
    If you're rooted and open supersu - you have an option to hide the fact that it's rooted - so you can be rooted and your apps will still work. I do this with 4od app.
    Lloyds bank, Virgin Anywhere don't work and the last time I tried S K Y Go. I have tried Xposed, most hide apps. Chainfire's SU does not have hide root . XDA said Exposed should have worked but didn't. I only wanted to root for Titanium backup, which I still use on my rooted Samsung S3. I can watch S K Y Go on my MacBookPro and Nexus 9, So I am not that worried about rooting. Thanks for the info anyway.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Have a read of this thread:

Code:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053
    Going into settings - enable superuser - uncheck it.

That works on every app I have got. Have you changed your recovery or done anything other than install root (supersu binary)?

Thanks
    Well you live and learn. I tried everything last year and just gave up. I will try with Virgin on my rooted phone first before I root my tablet. Thanks.

Thanks
    OK Virgin Anywhere is working on my phone after unchecking enable SU. I think I did try this last year with Lloyds but it checked something else and reported that it found root or something also Llyoyds uses the phone to text me a code for confirmation. I won't be able to try S K Y Go as I have reached the device limit for this month.

Thanks
    OK I am having problems rooting Marshmallow on my Nexus 9. In TWRP it can't find SU to install and gives an error your device may be corrupt. Had to fastboot back to stock, the security in 6.0 is giving problems. Will keep an eye on XDA for a work around.

Thanks
    I thought it must be something, have a look here :- h**p://www.xda-developers.com/a-look-at-marshmallow-root-verity-complications/

Thanks
    Ok, I have just managed to root my N9 using OMG cable and mounting the USB stick with SuperSU 2.52 on it. But S K Y go is not fooled that the device is not rooted by switching off super user in the settings. Virgin anywhere and Lloyds work ok.
    Last edited by traveller; 15-10-2015 at 08:28 PM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I don't mind keeping the original O/S on my phone (without root) - I have 3 android tablets & 2 android Tv boxes, and I am sure most people have more than 1 android device as well. Root is not really needed for much as 'modded' apps can still run on unrooted devices, and anything you need to run rooted - you could always use an android device that is rooted.

I have a nexus 5 phone and it's running Marshmallow - to be honest I don't see much difference between android 5.1.1 and 6.0, so there is no real rush to update everything to marshmallow - as all my apps work on 5.1.1 anyway, I'm sure rooting on 6.0 will become easier in a few weeks time - once the devs figure out ways to bypass security, but like anything - it just takes a little time.

The only thing I have ever used root for - was changing a devices mac address so when at airports or wifi places that limit your free wifi access - you can just spoof your mac and get unlimited free time.

Thanks
    I really only root for two programs Titanium and Greenify, also to freeze all those unwanted apps.
    I am not sure what S K Y Go checks but I will try Exposed again while hiding SuperSu.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    This may explain the extra security in 6.0 :- h**p://w**.xda-developers.com/stagefright-explained-the-exploit-that-changed-android/

Thanks
    OK TWRP has updated their recovery 2.8.7.1 and this has now finalised all the root problems for me. I had to fastboot it. Good old XDA.

Thanks
    Google have released the first of their OTA monthly security updates. MRA58N from MRA58K.
    I will have to sideload it as I am rooted.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by traveller View Post
    Google have released the first of their OTA monthly security updates. MRA58N from MRA58K.
    I will have to sideload it as I am rooted.
    I got this yesterday on my nexus 5 - it's a very small updated so not much is changed..