Thread: Connecting an external Hard drive for recordings

Thanks

Connecting an external Hard drive for recordings

Connecting an external Hard drive for recordings, is it as simple as plugging the lead for the external hard drive to the USB socket on the spiderbox, them using the red record button on the spiderbox remote control?
    many thanks

V.I.P
    Thanks
    It should work straight way. If it does not, and even if it does, it is always advisable to format (everything will be deleted!!!!1) the hard drive connected to the Spiderbox using the Green Button.
    According to the User manual, go to "Record page list" - This page will list out all the available recorded files,The available buttons
    here are listed as below:

Button Functions
    Red button Rename a recorded file
    Green button Format an external device and set the device type, slot, and partition
    Yellow button Slected recorded file
    Blue button Del recorded file slected
    Up/down/Left/right
    button
    Switch among the channels
    Left/right button When the focus in on the device type, you can switch among available device options.
    OK button (Select) When the focus is on Function B-ar>enable arrow key, this is used to confirm the selection
    with a check mark.
    OK button (Play /pause) When the Function Bar is hidden, this is used as a play/pause button in the preview mode.
    Play button Start playing the selected file in full screen.

Good luck.
    tinto de verano

File Guy
    Thanks
    Hi
    Best go for a 2.5" laptop size hard drive, and install it in a small USB caddy, these have a USB port so will power up from from the Spiderbox USB port. The bigger 3.5" drives will need a separate Power supply to drive them.
    jb

V.I.P
    Thanks
    i have a 3.5 external hard drive connected to my 6000 some recordings have quite bad pixilation and are unwatchable others are perfect can happen on any channel hd or sd clear or scrambled not sure if it's the drive or something else

Remagen [zGemma 2S, Vu+ duo, SS1, SS2HD, Foxsat 1000s & Foxsat HDR]
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satwyn View Post
    i have a 3.5 external hard drive connected to my 6000 some recordings have quite bad pixilation . . . .
    It is worth looking at the spec of the HDD. Some are much better at constant data writing than others despite having high burst rates. AFAIR WD Green are good. It is worth checking which ones have been used in Sly Digiboxes as they rarely give pixelation.

To check that it was the original writing that is that problem, copy a particularly bad file to a PC and try playing it.

BTW, I copied the following from a PC site but have forgotten which one.

WD Blue
    These are your baseline drives; typical power consumption, solid performance, good price. If none of the specific features of the other types stand out then these are the ones you want, they're ideal as capacity drives for a desktop for example.

WD Green
    These are all about saving energy; they're not actually all that slow in practice for things like streaming, but for more random read/write they lag behind a bit, again not by all that much. The main benefit is that they save power and wear by spinning down when they can, this means they're basically best for things like backup drives which are only in use periodically (e.g - once an hour), if they're made to spin up too often then you obliterate any potential savings you could make, at which point you've got a slightly slower Blue.

WD Black
    These are pure performance drives, all about speed. Their top speed for streaming isn't that much further ahead than a blue drive, but the main difference comes from it being generally more responsive. Basically if all you want is speed, but you can't afford an SSD with the capacity you need, then WD Blacks are for you. A good value gaming system can do well with an affordable SSD for OS and a few other bits and pieces you can fit, with a WD Black as your main drive for your games, for example by moving your Steam folder onto it, giving you good all round performance and capacity.
    They also now have generous warranties (5 years), they're basically WD Red+, if you can take advantage of the extra performance that is.

WD Red
    I think of these as a hybrid between Greens and Blacks; their power consumption is really good, but unlike the Green which is designed to save power between uses, the Reds are designed to just spin constantly for continual use/availability. They're quiet, responsive, and have good speeds, but most importantly they have an extended (3 year) warranty.
    You could use them as system drives and they'd perform just fine, but you probably wouldn't be getting the most of their cost; they're ideal for often used NAS devices, I also like them for RAID setups, particular RAID-5 and RAID-6 since a bunch of them doesn't use tons of power, but they're responsive enough to handle the distributed blocks of data, parity writes etc.

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    The 2.5" drive usually does not need a power supply as it takes its power from the USB socket, any bigger drive needs a dedicated supply.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    i use a 500gig...and a 1tb wd my passport(black) on my spiderbox 6000hd...
    both record and playback perfectly

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Actually, my 1 TB Samsung 2.5" does not work perfectly. Too many times I press Record and an error comes up. I need to unplug it, plug it in again, and then it works. Same thing most of the times. I changed the USB cable and it still happens. Oh, and I did format it on the Spiderbox. Good luck.

Obviously, after finally deciding to write about this issue... I have just tried... and it worked, no error.
    Last edited by tinto de verano; 08-10-2015 at 10:30 PM.

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    I seem to remember If you try and record over 4Gb you need to format not in FAT32 but NTFS file format.

It is a windows OS restriction.
    Last edited by TonyO; 09-10-2015 at 10:03 AM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    This is how i connect my wd my passport 1tb for the first time
    on spider remote...press menu...then go to multimedia
    come down to my recordings...obversally if its a new drive..empty...nothing will be there
    you will see at bottom...green button=usb device...press that
    this will now put you on a page as follows
    usb device =usb
    partion = 1
    under that you will see format...click that...(this will erase all on drive if its a drive you have previously used)
    after clicking format...a box will appear telling you that its formatting...it only takes seconds on empty..ie new..drive
    your drive is now formatted correctly
    now go to multimedia... recorder settings...and come down to default recording period...has default it is 15 mins
    by pressing left or right you can increase recording period by 15 mins...i set it to 2 hours
    if i notice a film i want record is 2hr 30 mins..i set it accordonlly...then after put back to 2hrs
    i have recorded in past 7 hrs in one go...playback perfect...
    i have tried many different drives...but for me wd my passport work faultlessly
    like i said in earlier post...i use 500 gig wd...and 1tb...