Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuisance Phone Calls

Thanks
    Thanked 6,189 Times in 1,180 Posts

Nuisance Phone Calls

I am a fairly tolerant person & laid back in life

However the one thing that is driving me nuts at the minute is calls on land line from abroad.

Its always from a company asking about bloody surveys

We are registered with the UK call preference company but it does not affect companies calling from abroad

We have told them 100+ times to stop bloody calling but its like talking to a brick wall

Now if we don't recognise the number its not answered

Does anyone else suffer this or are we just unlucky atm

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Tell them your just going to get your Glasses and leave it off the hook for an hour.
    Here in Spain I tell them I don't live here any more, that gets them.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maurice For This Useful Post:

catseye (17-09-2015), ford (26-10-2015)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,204 Times in 395 Posts
    my cousin used to get calls has she got in from work,6pm this went on up untill 8pm
    she first tried the above mentioned...leaving phone off hook mid call
    finally she called bt..who she was with...the person she spoke to told her to tell them she worked for bt
    and all incoming calls were checked by bt
    after a few weeks of telling people doing surveys etc..she worked for bt,(which she does not)
    word must have got around...because according to her..she now only gets calls from people family etc...and sometimes her bank or car insurance etc
    normal household calls

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EXTRAFACTO For This Useful Post:

Aldo (18-09-2015), catseye (17-09-2015), ford (26-10-2015), holmroad (18-09-2015), maurice (18-09-2015)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I keep a very load whistle by the phone and give it a blast when I get one of these calls.
    Don't know if it works but it makes me feel better

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geoffh For This Useful Post:

catseye (17-09-2015), maurice (18-09-2015)

Thanks
    i always tell them that Jesus loves them and they will be saved for there sins, by which time the line is usually dead ! Never worked that one out ?

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rikjaard-real For This Useful Post:

Barney (30-09-2015), catseye (17-09-2015), ford (26-10-2015), maurice (18-09-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffh View Post
    I keep a very load whistle by the phone and give it a blast when I get one of these calls.
    Don't know if it works but it makes me feel better
    I have done some bad **** down the phone to these people and it resulted in more calls _ I have been absolutely flat out abusive _ Including air horns _ fire alarms - car sirens _ whistles you name it.That resulted in more calls they just put your name on the hit lists and hand it round the sub continent call centers !

Remember after all they are just doing a job so i learned when i moved from that address and phone number that abuse was not the remedy although i did feel better but got **** loads of more calls ! It is out of order like some sort of harrasment ¬ On the uk radio the other day a woman was on about how even though she ticked the box dont share my data when that company went bankrupt an administrator is allowed to sell the data base as an asset ¬ So she started getting calls ? LOL - Jesus loves us all

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rikjaard-real For This Useful Post:

captainglassback (08-10-2015), catseye (17-09-2015)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    hi guys
    i dont any calls from abroad, i block all the phone i use = bt 8500 advanced call blocker no inteational calls full stop nice quiet night zzzz
    you get 100 numbers you only need friends / famley.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barrysat For This Useful Post:

Aldo (17-09-2015), catseye (17-09-2015)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EXTRAFACTO View Post
    my cousin used to get calls has she got in from work,6pm this went on up untill 8pm
    she first tried the above mentioned...leaving phone off hook mid call
    finally she called bt..who she was with...the person she spoke to told her to tell them she worked for bt
    and all incoming calls were checked by bt
    after a few weeks of telling people doing surveys etc..she worked for bt,(which she does not)
    word must have got around...because according to her..she now only gets calls from people family etc...and sometimes her bank or car insurance etc
    normal household calls
    same for me I allways tell them I am a bt engineer and the phone goes quiet.lol

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to techmate For This Useful Post:

catseye (18-09-2015), ford (26-10-2015)

Thanks
    Don't think the TPA covers 'International' nor company;s doing surveys unfortunately.

My home policy is. No number displayed, no answer. 'International' no answer. Number I don't recognise, no answer. Just let go to answerphone. I love my answerphone.

Spammers welcome to my block list.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nikkas For This Useful Post:

Aldo (18-09-2015), catseye (18-09-2015), ford (26-10-2015), maurice (18-09-2015)

Thanks
    Asking how they got the number as you're "X" directory usually results in the phone going dead. We are "X" directory and I can't remember the last time we had a nuisance call.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheBadger For This Useful Post:

catseye (18-09-2015), maurice (18-09-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Yes, I agree with all posts here - nearly driving me mad, especially when many nuisance calls now using 'valid' numbers too - all of which makes it very difficult to block them!
    I too have become very offensive to some of them, but the other day I noticed a call with a weird number (think it was 000000 or something like that) and gave them a right old earful, then this voice at other end said 'hello Jim, its Barbara' - it was my cousin using some free Skype credits - and it took weeks to pacify her that it wasn't HER I was abusing!! lol!!
    Very serious all this - I thought it was now against the law (since 6/3/15) in UK to make nuisance calls anyway?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to holmroad For This Useful Post:

catseye (18-09-2015)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Similar to Barry I bought a pair of call blocking phones :

http://www.telephonesonline.co.uk/bt...FUSNGwodwiYKKw

I have it set to block all with held numbers and International plus I have manually added some of the ones that do display a number but are automated or just sales calls.

All those numbers go directly to the answerphone without ringing so I am not disturbed and if anyone does leave a message I can just delete it or reply if I wish.
    I have a brother in Australia who only very occasionally calls me and if wants to talk it is usually after midnight when I am usually on the computer so he will email me and I simply unblock the calls then block them again after we have finished talking

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandra For This Useful Post:

catseye (18-09-2015), Nikkas (18-09-2015)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Why not have a bit of fun with them.

I used to get called by this glazing company all the time - I got sick of it. One day this girl from it phoned me and asked if I had 2 minutes. I told her that she was in luck as the wife had just popped out to the shops and I was quickly 'knocking one out' - I then asked her what colour knickers she was wearing. The phone was promptly hung up on her end and I never got anymore calls.

I just tend to wind the people up that call me and speak in 'Alien language' and non sensible sentences - I don't get many calls now - usually just from the computers that hang up and don't spreak type - but I have those all blocked now - I use a voip ata to pickup the call and redirect it to 123 ( a phone number that doesn't exist) then on their end it gets stuck until it times out and hangs up.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrdude For This Useful Post:

catseye (18-09-2015), maurice (18-09-2015), Nikkas (18-09-2015), roybach (02-10-2015), Satcat (18-09-2015)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I also went for a phone with blocking facility, as the other posters above - ours is Panasonic.

These calls drive me nuts, but the blocker seems to keep them under control.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to sparky_dog For This Useful Post:

maurice (18-09-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,189 Times in 1,180 Posts
    Cheers guys for input
    We have resorted to the silent treatment which has meant the calls have eased off

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catseye For This Useful Post:

Aldo (20-09-2015), holmroad (20-09-2015), hombre (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Nuisance Calls: Everything You Need To Know

As a record fine is handed down to a cold-call firm, Sky News examines the issue and what is is being done to stop the calls.

Wednesday 30 September 2015

They're the bane of most of our lives but could new legislation and the imposition of a record penalty finally lead to the demise of the dreaded cold call?

:: How are they cold calling?

Nuisance calls can be delivered in three key ways: live calls, automated calls and text messages. In August, automated call complaints exceeded the number of live calls for the first time since November 2014, according to the nuisance call watchdog, the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO).

Meanwhile, spam text complaints were at the lowest monthly level of 2015 in August. But the ICO put a caveat on this drop, saying reported concerns are lower in late summer due to "a seasonal cycle".

:: Why are they calling?

Accident claims are top of the list for live calls - 21% of live calls in August offered people the opportunity to make a claim for an accident which we have often never even had.

Automated calls tend to focus on PPI insurance claims or boiler services. Of automated calls, 26% are about PPI and 16% are about boiler services.

Spam texts focus on accident claims and gambling offers. These two topics are responsible for almost a third of all nuisance texts.

::What's the law?

Before 6 April, fines could only be imposed if the prosecution could prove that the calls caused "substantial damage or substantial distress".

Since then, the law has been changed so that the ICO will just have to prove the company was committing a serious breach of the law.

In a case that was heard by the ICO last year, a personal injuries company was reported to have called one household 470 times - such behaviour would fall foul of the new legislation, but would have required a greater burden of proof under the historical legislation.

The new law also means that companies who make persistent calls can be fined up to £500,000.

However, given that Glasgow-based Home Energy and Lifestyle Management has been fined £200,000 for 6 million calls (3p per call made), it suggests that 15 million calls would be needed for the record fine to be levied. This is equivalent to a call to well over half of the UK's 27 million households.

::What fines have been imposed to date?

The ICO has imposed £1.4m in penalties on 12 firms in just over two years, but to date less than a quarter have been paid.

The £200,000 fine is the biggest ever and is more than half of the total fines issued by the ICO in the whole of last year.

Just last week the ICO handed out another cold-calling fine to a company called Cold Calls Elimination. The £75,000 sanction was given for the firm making unsolicited marketing calls.

:: How to avoid nuisance calls?

Be careful what you tick for. When providing contact details, especially on websites, take time to read the small print to ensure you are not unknowingly consenting for your details to be passed on to third parties.

Another option is to register with the free Telephone Preference Service - essentially a do-not call list which prevents many companies from contacting you. To put your number on the list, phone 0845 070 0707 or go to www.tpsonline.org.uk.

If you want to make an official complaint to the ICO, try and make a note of the call if you can, including the date, time, name of the firm (if it's known) and also the number you were called from (even if it doesn't look like a valid number).

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Aldo For This Useful Post:

catseye (30-09-2015)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 657 Posts
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLUexMKVZ50
    Last edited by ozzsurf; 30-09-2015 at 07:08 PM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to ozzsurf For This Useful Post:

catseye (30-09-2015)

Verified Registered User waverider's Avatar
    Thanks
    I used to get plagued with these calls, i logged every one and ended up sixteen pages of A4.

I have tried different call Blockers and wasn't happy with them, untill i found CPR CallBlocker, it puts you in complete control of which calls to accept or not.

I wont go into detail, except it has a Large Red Button on the Front, which says,"Block Now".

You will need, Caller Display, and a Dect phone.

If you google, you are able to download the manual for it.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to waverider For This Useful Post:

catseye (30-09-2015)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    had a company trying to sell solar panels a treat they keep calling my number asking for a certain person in the end i said i was that person and said i would be interested in their free solar panels the only thing is my phone number doesnt match the address they have got so i said i would have the solar panels so they went round to the address they have to get the people to sign up for the panels i can imagine what happened when they called at the address and the occupants didnt know what they were talking about so they did a 100 mile round trip for nothing this morning

37. The Following User Says Thank You to welshpaddy For This Useful Post:

catseye (30-09-2015)

Thanks
    My brother had a phone call, while I was at his house last week, from the "Prosecution service" saying there was a possibility he would go to prison.
    Obviously he was a bit upset at hearing this so asked the person for more detail before putting the phone down.

Within 10 seconds the phone rang again but this time my better half answered and told the same caller that my brother was out to which she was told she was a "*ucking liar" before she put the phone down.

10 seconds later it was my turn to answer so I said " Metropolitan police" to which I was told by the same person to "*uck off".

10 second later the same guy rang but this time my brother kept him talking with once again the threat to go to prison if details were not given to him regarding his bank.
    My brother obviously refused but the guy got abusive and told him to go and suck his dick.

My brother's attitude then changed and told the guy that he should really seek medical help as he was sick in the head before I told the chap that the call had now been traced and to expect a visit ------- click....

Worse call I've witnessed ....
    Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast