Thread: losing signal regulary

Thanks

losing signal regulary

i am losing signal regulary on my spiderbox HD6000 with motorised dish, i have rewired the F connector but am still having problems
    Signal drops suddenly from around 70% to 5-7% even without moving satellites or channels
    Would it be a dish, LNB, or motor problem or have i not connected the wire into LNB socket correctly?
    Really baffled with this only happened recently, i hope its nothing with extension work we got done at the house?
    EDIT-just checked my 2nd spiderbox in the bedroom and i have a signal there ok but not on my main receiver downstairs, so that should rule out dish/LNB/Motor problems, it must be the cable or wiring on the F connector it could fault with the receiver itself though my receiver working upstairs has the same problem when i connect it downstairs?
    Last edited by chopper1; 01-09-2015 at 05:23 PM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,398 Posts
    If you have 2 connections, one in the bedroom, that you know is working, then try your Spiderbox 6000 HD on that, at least it will rule out, or confirm, that the problem lies with your receiver.
    Is the connection, in your bedroom, a second cable, from the same LNB, or a different set up?
    You could always run the wiring, in the living room, to the LNB connection you know is working, i.e. the one in the bedrrom, and check it with your bedroom spiderbox, which will then check if it's a cable problem.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

chopper1 (01-09-2015), digicon (01-09-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    if 2 boxes work ok on one cable feed and fail on another, its the cable feed (or it could be the lnb at fault)

it could be faulty from the lnb to the motor, or motor to downstairs, or both

change the cable from the motor to the lnb and remake the f conn connections as well

if still faulty, change the cable from the motor to the downstairs box and remake the F conns at both ends

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

chopper1 (01-09-2015), digicon (01-09-2015)

Thanks
    guys, i had the satellite engineer out last week and replaced the twin LNB for an Inverto Quad LNB, he tweaked the dish for maximum quality on 28 east said all was ok and actually got another 3% increase in signal.
    Thought all was solved but the next day my signal is still all over the place, can be fine for a few hours then picture freeze or signal comes goes to 0%
    I have tried everything, the LNB connection to spiderbox is wired correctly, i have swapped my 2nd receiver in the bedroom to try it and have the same signal problem, also tried swapping power cables, no joy either
    The RG6 cable is approx 12 years old is this the most likely problem that it needs replaced as its all i can think of, the 2nd cable in bedroom is fine no break up signal its about 3 years old....any advise appreciated
    Engineer said its about £65 to have cable replaced, is that a fair price?
    Really want this sorted before christmas!!

Thanks
    Cable or tuner in box?

Thanks
    thanks, def not the box dog man

Thanks
    £65 to change the cable is about the right price, it's ann hour's work plus materials... personally I use CAI benchmarked Webro WF100 for all my stuff as it's top quality but that's only because I'm fussy... nothing wrong with RG6 & you can get CAI benchmarked RG6 anyway... be wary of cheap poor quality cable as the market is flooded with cheap rubbish... try to get solid copper core with decent shield & brading & solid foam dialetric... or just ask your engineer if he can supply WF100 & ask what the price difference is...

The Inverto LNB is good quality, I use them on blocks of flats to run up to 200 feeds. I also have the same receiver & it works OK... regarding the motorised dish, if I had come out to you I would have ensured the pole was 100% vertical and aligned the dish precisely on Thor (0.8w). Also I would ensure the pole section is decent steel like a scaffold pole or similar so it can be tightened right up without movement. Once it's precisely aligned & you set your receiver to use USALS (make sure it's up to date) you should be 100% good.

Funny thing is most people I deal with who have motors only watch 28.2 & hotbird, & if they are having trouble I just scrap the motor, put in 2 mini dishes & a diseqc switch...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_W For This Useful Post:

chopper1 (10-12-2015), johnhenry (09-12-2015)

Verified Registered User Mobley2's Avatar
    Thanks
    You mentioned that you have had Extension work done, has this resulted in a cable join to extend the cable run to the downstairs ?
    can you trace the cable all the way from the Lnb, to this point? or is it buried in the wall? could some sharp object be piercing the cable?
    or are there any sharp bends in it. Also if the cable was exposed during housework, could water have gotten in? All of these things could cause
    the situation you describe. If there is any doubt about the cable then I would suggest replacement with the Webro cable as suggested.
    regards mobley2

Thanks
    thanks Steve W & Mobley 2 you's have both been very helpful !!

i am worried that the extension put on the house has effected the cable as some donkey of an electrician done half a job

Just noticed today my motorised dish will not move to Astra 28 east? it couldnt' be the motor problem?
    Last edited by chopper1; 12-12-2015 at 09:01 PM.

Thanks
    Hopefully i've found the answer!!
    i trimmed some of the copper wire from the F connector that fits into the receiver as it was slightly longer that the end of the connector
    Not sure if its worked though i noticed the signal disappear last night but today the signal has been solid......

Verified Registered User Mobley2's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chopper1 View Post
    Hopefully i've found the answer!!
    i trimmed some of the copper wire from the F connector that fits into the receiver as it was slightly longer that the end of the connector
    Not sure if its worked though i noticed the signal disappear last night but today the signal has been solid......
    If you are talking about the solid inner core...it should be about 3mm beyond the face of the connector,
    some receivers need the core slightly for good contact.

regards mobley2