Thread: Potential of a Sony Bravio TV

Thanks

Potential of a Sony Bravio TV

As I eagerly await my new Sony Bravio TV I note that it has a Satellite connection which it appears is not a Freesat one but a generic one. After a bit of Googling I notice that people have hooked this up to their fixed Astra 28.2 dish and after scanning got 900+ channels although many, they admit, cannot be watched because they are encrypted.

Given this box has also got Android would it be therefore possible, in theory if you were so inclined, to watch such encrypted channels on this box?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to heyho For This Useful Post:

2colby (26-08-2015)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    If your tv as a cam slot (like my samsung) then in theory it may be possible using a Diablo wifi cam and enter c lines etc.
    Haven't done it myself but there some threads on this forum that discuss such a solution and i think with some success.
    Another assumption is that the Diablo cam can still decrypt videoguard

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geoffh For This Useful Post:

echelon (26-08-2015), heyho (26-08-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Given this box has also got Android would it be therefore possible, in theory if you were so inclined, to watch such encrypted channels on this box?

Current Spiderbox 6000HD.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    my sony bravia has got a sat connection and you can add up to 4 using a diseqc switch, although most people would use it for freesat on 28.2e which includes the freebie versions of the usual HD channels

tv,s like these have the sony version of android and so I do not believe you can install apps of your own, just what is on their official site accessed through the menus

not sure if mine has a cam slot but if it has then the methods described above would apply, although I would rather just hook in a box and use that instead, especially one of these modern tiny boxes you can hang on the back of the tv (if its not wall mounted)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

heyho (26-08-2015), voyager1972 (26-08-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Tried a Dragon cam in the CI slot on my Pannie 65" TV - but without success!
    Did however tune in the 900+ channels via Sky dish on 28E, but not bothered trying using my 1.1m separate sat dish (currently in use with TM5402HDS M3 box!) on other sats as considered it probably not worth it?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to holmroad For This Useful Post:

heyho (26-08-2015)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Yes you can do it with the diablo wifi cam as already posted,

But the price of a cam + cas programmer costs more than a vu+ zero sat box. The vu+ zero sat box is very small and can sit behind or mounted to the back of your TV and has much more capability than using a cam, plus better epg, plugin support etc.

It's a bit of a waste buying a cam, when you can have a small box doing the same thing for cheaper and with much more capabilities.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrdude For This Useful Post:

echelon (29-08-2015), geoffh (26-08-2015), heyho (27-08-2015)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
    Yes you can do it with the diablo wifi cam as already posted,

But the price of a cam + cas programmer costs more than a vu+ zero sat box. The vu+ zero sat box is very small and can sit behind or mounted to the back of your TV and has much more capability than using a cam, plus better epg, plugin support etc.

It's a bit of a waste buying a cam, when you can have a small box doing the same thing for cheaper and with much more capabilities.
    Good point

Thanks
    Slightly off topic but I recently bought a new Sony Bravia Smart Android TV KDL-50W756C and asked the salesman if it was Skype capable, he confirmed it was by downloading the Skype app from the Google Play store. After buying it I tried to find the app but couldn't and after I advised the salesman he couldn't either. I contacted the Sony main agent here and asked if their Sony Bravia Smart Android TV's were Skype capable and they said that they were. I explained my story to them and they said they would investigate and call me back. Ten minutes later they did and admitted they were wrong.I then contacted Sony Europe and got this reply
    "Thank you for contacting Sony support regarding accessing Skype on your Sony KDL-50W756C.In regards to your query, please note that unfortunately your Sony KDL-50W756C does not support Skype application.
    Thank you for your enquiry."
    Caveat Emptor!!!!!!
    Last edited by rambo; 29-08-2015 at 11:48 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:

echelon (29-08-2015), sparky_dog (29-08-2015)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo View Post
    ...I recently bought a new Sony Bravia Smart Android TV KDL-50W756C and asked the salesman if it was Skype capable, he confirmed it was by downloading the Skype app from the Google Play store...
    If the salesman sold you the tv on that basis, surely you would have a perfectly good case to return it for a refund?

Thanks
    As I said the Sony main agents didn't even know and I suspect he just assumed there would be an app for Skype, besides I really like the TV picture and sound quality . I have since got hold of an android box with the Skype IM and video calls app. A bit clunky but hopefully it will do the trick. If anybody comes with a better suggestion I'd be pleased to hear from you.

Thanks
    hi all i have the KDL-55w809c and a diablo wifi with weeks of research and headaches i finally got it all running with a cline hard work and frustrating but worth it in the end the problem i have know is the channel list. the built in channel editor is the editor iv ever seen you can only move 1 channel at a time and it is very slow and when you go to put it in the position you want it gos where ever it wants and not in the place you want it.
    you can export your channel list to a USB and edit it through sony editor but every time i try i get error loading file

is there a channel editor anyone knows that will read it and edit it
    many thanks
    walshy5050

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,239 Posts
    I have had my Sony Bravia KD49X8309C Android TV for a couple of month now and getting to know it. The first thing to do is to get developer by pressing enter on the build seven times. The second is to go on Google Play and send over Chainfires Sideloader app this will then show and run any other apps that Google/Sony don't show on the Sony apps tiles. At the moment I am trying to get IPTV working on it with mu3 files ( you know the ones ).
    The TV has had it's critics but I after the the 12th April update it has become more stable and more responsive. It is the best TV I have ever owned the UHD 4K picture is just stunning the SD and HD upscaling is almost 4K.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by walshy5050 View Post
    hi all i have the KDL-55w809c and a diablo wifi with weeks of research and headaches i finally got it all running with a cline hard work and frustrating but worth it in the end the problem i have know is the channel list. the built in channel editor is the editor iv ever seen you can only move 1 channel at a time and it is very slow and when you go to put it in the position you want it gos where ever it wants and not in the place you want it.
    you can export your channel list to a USB and edit it through sony editor but every time i try i get error loading file

is there a channel editor anyone knows that will read it and edit it
    many thanks
    walshy5050
    On the Sony support forum someone posted a channel editor program. I will have a look for it and post back.

Here :---http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=731708

You may have to register on the site to download, not sure as people say it's error 404 means you have too.
    Last edited by traveller; 03-05-2016 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Added url.

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 845 Posts
    Skype Stop TV support

hxxp://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2450293/skype-to-stop-supporting-tv-video-calling-from-june

Quote Originally Posted by rambo View Post
    Slightly off topic but I recently bought a new Sony Bravia Smart Android TV KDL-50W756C and asked the salesman if it was Skype capable, he confirmed it was by downloading the Skype app from the Google Play store. After buying it I tried to find the app but couldn't and after I advised the salesman he couldn't either. I contacted the Sony main agent here and asked if their Sony Bravia Smart Android TV's were Skype capable and they said that they were. I explained my story to them and they said they would investigate and call me back. Ten minutes later they did and admitted they were wrong.I then contacted Sony Europe and got this reply
    "Thank you for contacting Sony support regarding accessing Skype on your Sony KDL-50W756C.In regards to your query, please note that unfortunately your Sony KDL-50W756C does not support Skype application.
    Thank you for your enquiry."
    Caveat Emptor!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3tv View Post
    Skype Stop TV support

hxxp://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2450293/skype-to-stop-supporting-tv-video-calling-from-june
    I'm always annoyed by these sort of press releases. Why can't they just allow previous s/w versions to continue working? OK I accept that new features may not work.

In reality, Skype is ****e since M$ acquired it. Sound quality worsened and dropouts became regular (although it is hard to tell if it is M$ or the ISPs that are causing problems).

I switched to Whatsapp but still have €7 credit on my Skype account.