Thread: whats the best receiver for me to buy

Thanks

whats the best receiver for me to buy

hi guys,

i am looking for a little advice please,

i am about to move house an in my new house i am able to have sky or cable unlike my current house where i am only able to get sky.

my question is what box is best for me to buy for either sky or cable. i am currently using a dreambox and a azboz hd.

i understand that you can still get HD channels on cable receiver and not on a sky receiver although this is not overly important to me.

the main thing i want from a box is
    Resonable price,
    Very easy to setup,
    Able to record 1 channel while i watch a second,
    Good tv guide

I hope you are able to help with this.

thank you.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,403 Posts
    Why not consider installing a motorized dish, which will provide the option of viewing many more satellites, and channels.
    If not then check with Lee, at Goldwafers, he will advise you of the best receiver, to suit your needs, possibly a VU+ model.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

echelon (16-08-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    we dont allow cable questions on here , only satellite and android etc

but I would have thought a VU duo 2 will help you in your quest

as mickha says, have a word with goldwafers as I am sure they can help out with the tuners required for it , plus an internal HDD as well

5. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Nikkas (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    hi thank you for the replies.

i really dont need a motorized i am happy to just watch the sky channels my current cline allows me to,
    i am just looking for a box that i can record on and is very easy to setup and run.

Thanks
    a vu solo 2 or duo 2 fit the bill for all those aspects, but only that duo 2 can have the added cable/freeview tuner added (not the solo 2)

there will be other boxes but I refuse to recommend any others, the vu are great boxes

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Aldo (16-08-2015), Nikkas (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    ok so i am being pointed towards the duo 2 and it looks to be what i need. how easy is it to setup especially if i do have a cable and sky turner in the box.

Thanks
    cant answer for cable but there are plenty of good tutorials in our VU section, so check the dummies guide in the vu duo 2 sticky threads for setting up satellite

bear in mind its a bit like the dreambox but using usb sticks as well as DCC , VuCC , dreamboxedit , dreamset , filezilla etc

there is no sky tuner

you will have a twin sat tuner (probably a 2 in 1 card) and another card with cable and freeview combined into the one card

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,403 Posts
    There are plenty of satellite guides, that should have you set up quite quickly, especially the main guide, from Lee, at Goldwafers:
    https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...ing-up-Vu-Duo2
    Beaten to it by Echelon.
    I don't have cable, and I'm only interested in foreign channels, so cable wouldn't be of any use, to me, anyway, but it seems fairly straight forward, all you might have to do is change the cables.xml file, for a suitable one, for your area.
    Last edited by Mickha; 16-08-2015 at 06:29 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

echelon (16-08-2015)

Thanks
    echelon what do you mean there is no sky turner??
    i thought these boxes could be used to pick up sat as well as cable

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sut View Post
    echelon what do you mean there is no sky turner??
    i thought these boxes could be used to pick up sat as well as cable
    correct so they have a satellite tuner, or a dual satellite tuner, nothing to do with sly (nothing to do with BEE SLY BEE) , or VERMIN for that matter

questions here are about satellite , not broadcasters , so its satellite tuners, not sly tuners (even a sly box has a satellite tuner)

even your current boxes dont have sly tuner or tuners, they have satellite tuners (check the specifications)

put SLY out of your head, its confusing you

15. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Mickha (16-08-2015)

Thanks
    I have three boxes - a VU+ Uno, a Spiderbox 6000 and (and I shall whisper it) a clone. The Vu+ is connected to a motorised dish and the other two to my fixed Sly dish. Although all of these are single tuner and wont meet your requirements I can comment about their usability and flexibility.

My first box was the Spiderbox and it is true to say I had a painful introduction helped only by some excellent advice (and patience) by people on here. To cut a long story short I had a faulty motor but it took weeks to find that out.

Anyway the Spiderbox is an excellent box but I am a bit of a computer geek and soon tired of its lack of flexibility with regards to how you can modify the user interface. So after a few months I decided to buy a Vu+. Love it. Spent many a happy hour tweaking it, trying all the different firmware. Have now settled on Openvix, with the Blue HD (Sly look alike) skin and to be honest little else. I popped a hard disk in this and have shared mounts to my clone so I can watch recorded stuff upstairs.

Now the clone. Would I buy another. No. Why - because Goldwafers are now selling the Zgemma- Star in the same price range (and better spec) to the clone I got. I've been happy with the clone as a 2nd box connected to a fixed dish and I would have no hesitations recommending something like the Zgemma-Star as a good starter. Yes, I notice a slowness compared to the Vu+ but so what.

My advice - if you want an out of the box simply plug in solution then the Spiderbox is yer man. If you like a bit of a challenge then go for an Enigma 2 based receiver and if money is an issue I am sure something like the Zgemma-Star would be adequate. You can get a 1TB external USB drive for next to nothing and then you will have full PVR capabilities.

Just my two penneth worth anyway

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heyho For This Useful Post:

echelon (17-08-2015), sut (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    But HD on 28E - apart from but a few such as FTA channels - BBC, ITV etc - BT and Rte?
    (Maybe I'm missing something here?)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to holmroad For This Useful Post:

echelon (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    HEYHO,
    Thank you great bit o info for me there.

I am stuck at the minute as i would like to have HD channels back but understand this is no longer possible with sat anymore. This is the reason i was looking into a cable box but have no experience at all with cable and am concerned that i may waste money buying a box that i cant setup or once i have it setup finding the prices charged for the channels i want are to expensive.

Thanks
    as far as 28.2e sat is concerned , you get the same as now, as pointed out by holmroad , so dont think its going to improve on your dreambox as it wont, not for satellite anyway , although it can give you FREEVIEW HD from your aerial I believe (the freeview / cable tuner that is; if fitted in a duo2)

as I said earlier, we dont discuss cable here so no idea about it as my road doesnt get it !!

as far as the spiderbox and other cheap boxes, the lack of an internal hdd puts me off them (yes I have had them) and as far as I am concerned you can stick the external hdd or usb sticks where the sun dont shine as far as recordings etc

internal sata hdd is the way to go , twin tuner is another point where a solo 2 or duo 2 scores over single tuner boxes (like a spiderbox)

I cannot recommend a twin tuner box (or quad tuner boxes) highly enough, especially if you can fit an INTERNAL hdd as well , its an awesome combination

I went with duo 1 and now solo 2 as twin tuner boxes with internal hdd, as I cannot get vermin so its a moot point, plus my tv,s get FREEVIEW hd from my aerial anyway , so I make do with freesat HD etc

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

heyho (17-08-2015), holmroad (18-08-2015)

Thanks
    thank you for the advice again.