Thread: FTA version of BT Sport

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 470 Posts

Icon3 FTA version of BT Sport

John Petter, head of BT’s consumer division, has revealed that the company plans to launch a FTA version of BT Sport.
    Since its launch in August 2013 BT Sport has been free for its broadband subscribers, while other viewers pay £13.50 a month. However, the arrival of the Champions League and ****** League, which is costing the company £897 million over three years, means BT Sport will no longer be free from next season.
    Speaking to the Evening Standard, Petter commented: “It will be a very reasonable price. And some games will be free as well. There’ll be a free-to-air version of BT Sport.”
    He continued: “Sports that go exclusively pay-TV are not good for the long-term health of any sport because you narrow the base over time. We can bring something here through a model that doesn’t depend on such high subscription fees, that gives the sport access to a very large viewership through free-to-air. This, combined with a low pay threshold, is potentially a good model to adopt for sustainability in the long term.”
    Speaking on his perceived success of BT Sport, Petter said: “What we set out to do was give sport back to the people because, relative to other markets, the take up of premium sports in the UK has been low. Around half the five million households that view BT Sport did not watch any premium sport before our entry into the market in 2013. Our proportion of viewers under 25 is noticeably higher than for either Sky Sports or Eurosport. We are now the biggest sports channel in the nation’s pubs and clubs, which were previously being choked by the high prices demanded by Sly.”

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bob For This Useful Post:

Aldo (08-05-2015), chopper1 (09-05-2015), jamsb (09-05-2015), johnhenry (09-05-2015), Nikkas (08-05-2015), sonic1 (08-05-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Cheers bob, let's hope this actually materialises - as its excellent news for top sport in UK?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to holmroad For This Useful Post:

Nikkas (08-05-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holmroad View Post
    Cheers bob, let's hope this actually materialises - as its excellent news for top sport in UK?
    It will be interesting to see what their reasonable price is going to be, as I'm sure that there will be very many people watching to see what it will be, and the impact it could have on Sly Sports.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aldo For This Useful Post:

cosworth4x4 (09-05-2015), jamsb (09-05-2015)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    and the free games will be non events and used like sky sports to rope people in. as they say no such thing as a free lunch.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbmitie View Post
    and the free games will be non events and used like sky sports to rope people in. as they say no such thing as a free lunch.
    EXACTLY mate - as my old Daddy used to say, you don't get ANYTHING for nothing in this world!! lo!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,314 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    It will be interesting to see what their reasonable price is going to be, as I'm sure that there will be very many people watching to see what it will be, and the impact it could have on Sly Sports.
    fta ? or It will be a very reasonable price ,

means fta will be not what anyone will want to pay for , the crap we cant sell.
    Last edited by cosworth4x4; 09-05-2015 at 12:18 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cosworth4x4 For This Useful Post:

jamsb (09-05-2015)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts
    I bet the commercial pub/bar prices won't be cheap, STY ripped them from pillar to post and got away with it, BT will follow suit. in the end we will hate them as much as STY.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyO For This Useful Post:

jamsb (09-05-2015)

Thanks
    they want to sort out their servers ,many times i have had to switch to sat and view on foreign channels when it was buffering and i have got infinity broadband.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to radtom For This Useful Post:

jamsb (09-05-2015)