Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't FTP anymore

Thanks

Can't FTP anymore

Hello
    I have tried to FTP to my box today and for some reason it says:
    Error: Could not connect to server
    Status: Delaying connection for 1 second due to previously failed connection attempt...
    Status: Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".
    Error: Could not connect to server
    I have tried leaving the password blank and I have tried different passwords:
    Password
    Passwd
    But I can’t get access to my box, does any have any ideas?
    Thanks
    Doomdoom88
    FTP.jpgbox.jpg

Thanks
    ensure you have fixed the IP on the box , dont let it just choose its own as this will change regularly

also ensure you have telnetted to the box and changed the password , or used the password changer plugin

like here https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...-Dummies-is-me

then check your router admin panel and ensure you know the correct ip address for the box and that its logged onto the router (lan devices connected)

this is your ip address 192.168.1.3

not 192.168.1.3:21

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    this is your ip address 192.168.1.3

not 192.168.1.3:21
    Yes I thought that was a bit strange, any ideas how I can change it? thanks

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thats just the program giving you the info that its connecting to your box on port 21 which is the default FTP port.

Is the image BH by any chance ?

This often happens if it is and the only cure is a reflash.

Stupid image.

Ian.

Banned
    Thanks
    As echelon Say's the IP changes and if you go into the VU and check system info it will show you Ip of network? My IP changed from , ending in .2 to ending .1 .
    I never have changed the password so left blank? so Its your IP address then your name "root" then connect.
    It's all fun and lose of hair when you haven't did it for a wile or your knew to it? lol

V.I.P
    Thanks
    The IP will only change if DHCP is set to yes in the box which is how he has it,and this really needs changing to no

But this can only happen if the box has been turned off then on again in a different order to the last time it was used,ie last time was pc first then box,this time box first then pc.

With DHCP set to on the router will automatically assign the lowest available ip,so if last time the pc was turned on first that would get 192.168.1.2 and the box would get 192.168.1.3

I dont think this is the fault though,I think its BH,but just in case go into the router and look at the attached devices,this will tell you the IP thats assigned to the box,then go into the settings of the FTP program and ensure they match.if not change these settings to match the IP shown in the routers attached devices.

Ian.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Thats just the program giving you the info that its connecting to your box on port 21 which is the default FTP port.

Is the image BH by any chance ?

This often happens if it is and the only cure is a reflash.

Stupid image.

Ian.
    No not using BH, i'm on OpenVix

Banned
    Thanks
    The reason I said that was because I realised I was getting the error messages from the .2 and when I changed to .1 it just said will not connect ( or something like that?) So I then noticed that the name "root" Was not entered and after changing the IP and entering root - No problem. But I am using vix so?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hianta View Post
    As echelon Say's the IP changes and if you go into the VU and check system info it will show you Ip of network? My IP changed from , ending in .2 to ending .1 .
    I never have changed the password so left blank? so Its your IP address then your name "root" then connect.
    It's all fun and lose of hair when you haven't did it for a wile or your knew to it? lol
    I have turned off DHCP now but still have the same problem and yes I have tried with leaving the password blank

Thanks
    The IP will only change if DHCP is set to yes in the box which is how he has it,and this really needs changing to no

But this can only happen if the box has been turned off then on again in a different order to the last time it was used,ie last time was pc first then box,this time box first then pc.

With DHCP set to on the router will automatically assign the lowest available ip,so if last time the pc was turned on first that would get 192.168.1.2 and the box would get 192.168.1.3

I dont think this is the fault though,I think its BH,but just in case go into the router and look at the attached devices,this will tell you the IP thats assigned to the box,then go into the settings of the FTP program and ensure they match.if not change these settings to match the IP shown in the routers attached devices.

Ian.
    I have now turned off the DHCP but still have the same problem. I have also checked in my router and 192.168.1.3 is correct

V.I.P
    Thanks
    You could try resetting your password using the plugin tuxcommander from your box,then telnet in a create a new one,this often works,but personally i feel something has become corrupt and you will need to reflash to cure this.

Ian.

Thanks
    just a pointer

I ALWAYS set a password in BH on any linux box using BH, never had a problem like this

I also ALWAYS fix the IP address too, always have done on my old dm800 and tm9100 boxes

so ALWAYS set a fixed ip and always change the password too , as soon as you install an image

in this case I would set the box to something like 192.168.1.51 or higher

Thanks
    what i usually do is set it to dhcp so all settings are correct , then untick dhcp and just alter to ip you want use the same one previously used saves me altering settings on pc.

Banned
    Thanks
    Don't mean to be stupid? But I am :o15:
    What FTP Program are you running??
    Dream box edit allows you to test IP then username and password ?
    I had prob with ?(The normal vucc)
    I put that in brackets because am not sure if I'm telling you the right prog..
    Main prob I had Is, I never put the details in correctly and All the errors came from trying to connect to the wrong server :respect-056:

So ? If you are sure you got it right then..

1 ... delete FTP off com and reload and retry
    2 ... Or? 1? Check vu network is ok
    3 ... Try dream box e
    4 ... SCRUB VU AND START FROM SCRATCH?

Hope it goes well, I'm up and running and learning as I go? Shame I only got the one dish now.:seeya:

Thanks
    the pictures he uploaded show filezilla (VuCC also used filezilla - I use flash fxp)

when checking the network on these boxes, you should use DCC , as DCC will tell you more about failures and DCC will allow a conenction to any linux box , not just dreamboxes

DCC is also used to telnet to the box and change the password using the passwd command

routers can reserve the IP address you have chosen so that it always uses the same one anyway as the mac code is saved

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    the pictures he uploaded show filezilla (VuCC also used filezilla - I use flash fxp)

when checking the network on these boxes, you should use DCC , as DCC will tell you more about failures and DCC will allow a conenction to any linux box , not just dreamboxes

DCC is also used to telnet to the box and change the password using the passwd command

routers can reserve the IP address you have chosen so that it always uses the same one anyway as the mac code is saved
    WELL? With all respect I don't know 1% Of the stuff you know? but yes he using this prog and that prog but is it the same as your prog?
    What version of vix? I cant update on my version ? Too many sanaryoooooooos to think about ?
    So , Yes ,with respect I will listen and learn? I hope....

Thanks
    you can also connect via my computer / network then receiver with no password at all , but you do not have full access to all files/folders.

not sure thats going to help o/p , just depends what hes trying to do .

Thanks
    I dont use filezilla, and if I use VuCC I dont use filezilla that comes with it either

as I already said, I use flash fxp and DCC as FTP programs

DCC can also be used for telnet purposes which allow you to change the password and in my opinion it is imperative that people change the password as soon as possible after flashing an image. I have done this for about 7 to 8 years now, starting with my dreambox and also with vu boxes too

it is the height of stupidity NOT to set a password on your box, same as the same can be said if you dont password your pc login or bank login or paypal login

to stop ip addresses changing due to the switch on order of devices (like Ian said earlier) then you should fix the lan ip address of your vu box (or dreambox) and that way your FTP program will be set to use the same ip address , same name and same password each and every time you log into the box using it

if it all stays the same, nothing changes, therefore is easier , simpler and no room for errors

it would also stop somebody accessing your box and playing april fools on you by changing your box password (same applies to your router too)

if you think about it, those default logins are what caused all the phone hacking scandal too (in simple terms)

all seems common sense to me, nothing clever about it at all, its the K.I.S.S. principle

as for VIX, unless he has updated online to the latest version, he will be on a version that is usually different to other people , as people tend to be using whatever the version is the last time they updated (if they have updated, if not its the one they installed)

I use BH 212 at the moment, so not easy to change without a reflash and a lot of work (unlike vix and pli)

I also set the ip addresses of any of my other boxes like the spiderbox , each one has its own IP, always the same one , same as my NAS has the same IP regardless too , fix them all is best, apart from phones and tablets etc (let them be allocated the lower ip`s on a first come , first served basis)

my point is if you follow the basics you rarely if ever have a problem

V.I.P
    Thanks
    This is why i suggested using Tuxcommander, if something externally has changed the password,such as being hacked,he can again gain control of his own box once more by deleting the existing password,whatever it maybe and then setting a new one from telnet.

But honestly I dont believe hes been hacked,I think his image has become corrupted and a reflash is required.

It happens and this is why I have at least 20 backups on both my boxes HDD and duplicated on my PC HDD.

Belt and braces.

Ian.
    Last edited by ian; 10-04-2015 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks
    This is why i suggested using Tuxcommander, if something externally has changed the password,such as being hacked,he can again gain control of his own box once more but deleting the existing password,whatever it maybe and then setting a new one from telnet.

But honestly I dont believe hes been hacked,I think his image has become corrupted and a reflash is required.

It happens and this is why I have at least 20 backups on box my VU HDD and my PC HDD.

Belt and braces.
    I agree, its unlikely to be a hack and more likely to be a corruption , I have had similar problems on laptops and pc,s when no password has been set so I believe in setting a password so that the laptop or pc or dreambox or vu are "happy" , same with setting a fixed ip on all boxes, including non-linux , plus on a NAS too (its obvious to set login password and fixed ip address on a NAS)

if the image is corrupt, a reflash will be necessary

so as Ian says, its important to do regular backups of your vu and your laptop or pc etc , if you dont , on your heads be it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast