Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Receiver

Thanks

New Receiver

Just a bit of a query really. I need a new receiver as this Spiderbox 9900 I have has been driving me mad for too long. I would have changed long ago but the gift which has just expired and the c line kept it in my house. It's the worst box I've owned and my mates would agree, that's why they changed over a year ago.

I know the Vu+ boxes seem to be the cream these days so just wondering if there is anything in the pipeline that is coming out in the next few months that might be worth waiting for?

Thanks

V.I.P
    Thanks
    snap sounds like me when i had mine.....would recommend a Technomate 5402 hd box...very straight forward n easy to use in all areas

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tigertimtim For This Useful Post:

holmroad (29-12-2014)

Thanks
    I was using a Technomate 1500 before the Spiderbox and I loved it. The UI and even the remote was a joy to use.

I will keep your recommendation in mind.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    As always it's a matter of opinion as to 'which' box you should choose - all we can do is present OUR personal experiences etc - and personally I've found TM to be easy to use, ever since I transferred from Manhattan ST 350 (now defunct!) to my current TM5402 HD M3!
    If you need built in terrestrial then its probably the TM6902HD Super!

Thanks
    Fed up now with my original DM800 so also looking at a new one. Streaming TV from the DM800 to an iPad in the same house, the picture just breaks up all the time now, lack of new images just seems a bit old and dead now. Seems to be the Vu+ Duo2 (but I saw one guy say he had it and hated it) or a Gigablue HD. Both are enigma 2 though and talk of enigma 3 coming soon maybe we should all wait a bit longer?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    spiderbox 6000 hd fantastic

Thanks
    I've seen the Spiderbox 6000 and it doesn't offer anything better than my 9900. Buying another Spiderbox would depress me.

A few guys in my area are using the Vu+ Duo and seem to love it. They have been around for years so I am having a look at the Solo2 and the Duo2 which are the newer models but deciding which would be the better buy is another matter.

You say enigma 3 is rumoured to be coming soon? If that is the case, a wait before purchasing might be in order but if the Solo2's/Duo2's support the software upgrade then it shouldn't matter?
    Last edited by Scream; 30-12-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks
    Yep - not sure myself to be honest. I'm seriously considering the Vu+ Solo 2 - at 249 it seems to do everything I need. E3 if it is really coming may be closed source anyway - so now I'm thinking why wait!!

Thanks
    I thought the Duo2 would be my choice but I am wondering if the Solo2 would do my job instead. I just need to compare both and see also if the extra price of the Duo2 is worth it.

Thanks
    The Duo2 is worth every penny more than the solo2 but one needs to be sensible and ask the question as to whether one needs the extra the Duo2 offers or not.

If I were buying again now I'd be tempted to just get the solo2 but nah.......once you have a Duo2 in the pack there's no going back.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,747 Times in 2,327 Posts
    so what extra does the duo2 give 'you' over what the solo2 would
    not picking, just interested....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintomer1866 View Post
    so what extra does the duo2 give 'you' over what the solo2 would
    not picking, just interested....
    A fancy-pants display on the box that you'll never use?

Thanks
    I had a similar situation a while back having owned a Solo2 which i thoroughly recommend even now i wanted a more shall we say Flexible Tuner choice which i looked at the duo2 but even this could not fulfil it, This is where the Gigablue Quad came in same spec as a solo2 but with more tuner flexibility as i needed 3 x Sat tuners and one for DVB-C/T.

Just my opinion but VU+ certainly made a massive cockup when they thought of just having 2 X Plug and play tuner slots in there flagship when they already had the Ultimo which had 3 X Plug & Play, There are now receivers which have capitalised on the more choice matter by bringing out receivers like the Ultimo some with 3 X Plug & Play and some with the far more Flexible 4 X Plug & Play

Just my 2 cents

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digicon For This Useful Post:

manic01 (03-01-2015), Scream (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    The Solo2 are fixed tuners and the Duo2 are not.

Just thinking about the solo2 and the duo2 only having 2x tuners compared to the Gigablue Quad, can you still watch one channel and record 3 other channels with the Vu+'s?

I have a fixed dish at 28.2 and a Motorised setup. Just wondering what would be the best way to take advantage of the tuners ion the Vu+'s or the high praised Gigablue thats cropping up all the time.

The price of the Gigablue Quad is massively cheaper than the Duo2 even when fully kitted out.

Making a decision has got harder.
    Last edited by Scream; 03-01-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks
    Spiderbox 6000 is a great STB for the price and easy to setup.

Vu+ Stb's take a lot more to setup if you have not used a engima box before.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,403 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scream View Post
    The Solo2 are fixed tuners and the Duo2 are not.

Just thinking about the solo2 and the duo2 only having 2x tuners compared to the Gigablue Quad, can you still watch one channel and record 3 other channels with the Vu+'s?

I have a fixed dish at 28.2 and a Motorised setup. Just wondering what would be the best way to take advantage of the tuners ion the Vu+'s or the high praised Gigablue thats cropping up all the time.

The price of the Gigablue Quad is massively cheaper than the Duo2 even when fully kitted out.

Making a decision has got harder.
    Yes, you can do that with just the dual tuner, on the Duo 2,providing the 3 channels you want to record are on the same transponder, with 4 tuners, 2xDual sat tuners, you can record at least 3 other channels and watch anything else available.
    With a motorized dish you are limited to the satellite you're recording on, but you can have 1 tuner set for your motorized, the second tuner set as second cable of motorized dish, and the other 2 tuners set up in a Diseqc system, for fixed dishes, or practically ant setup you want.
    You can also fix a USB terrestrial tuner and record/view off that.
    Initial setup is quite easy, but adding all the potential extras could take years !!!!!

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

echelon (03-01-2015), saintomer1866 (03-01-2015), sam charles (04-01-2015), Scream (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Just reading around the net and quite a few folk are keen on the Mutant 2400HD. Any thoughts on it? The extra tuners seem to be a big attraction to many.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scream View Post
    Just reading around the net and quite a few folk are keen on the Mutant 2400HD. Any thoughts on it? The extra tuners seem to be a big attraction to many.
    Mutant 2400HD is a replacement for the Golden Interstar LX3 both of which are identical Tuner wise to the Gigablue Quad Plus as in they have 2 x Fixed DVB-S2 tuners with an optional 2 x Plug & Play Tuners

The Mutant should also share the same chipset as the Duo2 where as the Giga is the same as the Solo2.

I believe the only real configurable 4x Tuner machine is the Xtrend 10000 with its 4 x Plug & Play tuner capacity, But personally with the price of that compared to a Duo2 i would probably plump for the Duo2 from lee anyday of the week

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digicon For This Useful Post:

echelon (04-01-2015), sonic1 (04-01-2015)

Thanks
    There's little debate, the extra spent on the Duo2 is very well worth it. It's an out and out top of the range enthusiast machine and if you are in it at Solo2 money it's better to plump the little extra and get the best.

The Duo2 has the hardware to transcode and the plug & play tuners meaning you can get DVB C/T2/S2 options. That flexibility also future proofs it.

The Solo2 is limited to being a DVB S2 machine only. The machine is also now beginning to show it's age.

As for the other brands like Gigablue, Mutant, LX, these brands tend to come and go. They are ok machines but you will likely be and remain in the minority in the longer term.
    Last edited by ekko star; 04-01-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks
    Interesting stuff - I was also thinking a Solo2 would be enough for me but still tempted by the Duo2! Then I thought the gigablue would be OK too - until I read that gigabit Ethernet was not really working on it, so back to the Solo2. Now I read this, I'm now thinking the Duo2 again!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast