Thread: Singer Joe Cocker dies aged 70

Thanks
    Thanked 3,293 Times in 1,498 Posts

Singer Joe Cocker dies aged 70

Sad news, he was a great singer, RIP Joe

Code:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2883993/Singer-Joe-Cocker-dies-age-70-battle-lung-cancer.html

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sonic1 For This Useful Post:

bobthedog (23-12-2014), Bod (23-12-2014), carling (23-12-2014), catseye (22-12-2014), charlie (22-12-2014), DCG (22-12-2014), echelon (22-12-2014), holmroad (23-12-2014), Roadrunner (22-12-2014), sparky_dog (22-12-2014), umgum (22-12-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,346 Times in 704 Posts
    Sad news :( I was just reading about a death of Fritz Sdunek ( great boxing trainer) and when I pressed the back button this news was on the front page instead. Sad sad day for both music and sport...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roadrunner For This Useful Post:

Aldo (22-12-2014), sonic1 (22-12-2014), sparky_dog (22-12-2014)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    R.I.P Joe loved your music.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Yes, very sad news.

Goodbye Joe.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    RIP Joe - star man - Sue & Sunny accompanying him in Beatles song With a Little Help From Your Friends absolutely MADE him!
    So sorry Joe - great singer, yet another one gone!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Singer Joe Cocker Dies At 70

Tributes pour in for the Grammy-winning, raspy-voiced rock and blues legend, who died on Sunday after a career spanning decades.

Blues and rock legend Joe Cocker, best known for his gritty voice and great vocals, has died at the age of 70.

The English-born singer-songwriter died on Sunday in Colorado, where he has lived for the past two decades. He had lung cancer.

His death was confirmed by agent Barrie Marshall, who called Cocker "without doubt the greatest rock-soul voice ever to come out of Britain".

Cocker, from Sheffield, had a career spanning decades and recorded some 40 albums, his raspy voice known to and loved by generations of blues lovers.

His cover of the Beatles' song With A Little Help From My Friends reached number one in the UK in 1968, and a year later he performed the song at Woodstock.

Other hits included You Are So Beautiful and Up Where We Belong, a 1983 duet with Jennifer Warnes that earned him a Grammy and an Oscar. The song was featured in the Richard Gere film An Officer And A Gentleman.

You Can Leave Your Hat On was featured in the 1986 film 9 1/2 Weeks.

Mr Marshall said in his statement that Cocker was "simply unique".

"Hugely talented - a true star - but a kind and humble man who loved to perform," Mr Marshall added in a statement.

"Anyone who ever saw him live will never forget him."

Cocker embarked on the epic Mad Dogs And Englishmen' Tour in 1970, featuring more than 40 musicians and almost 50 cities across America.

In 2011 he received an OBE for his contribution to music.

Tributes started pouring in shortly after news of Cocker's death came out.

Former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney called Cocker a "lovely northern lad who I loved a lot and, like many people, I loved his singing".

Of the With A Little Help From My Friends cover, he said Cocker had "totally turned the song into a soul anthem and I was forever grateful for him for doing that".

Beatles drummer Ringo Starr paid tribute to his friend: "Goodbye and God bless to Joe Cocker from one of his friends, peace and love."

"Joe Cocker is a legendary artist of rock and blues history and yet he was one of the most humble men I've ever met," said Edgar Berger, chairman and chief executive of Sony Music Entertainment International.

"His iconic voice will forever be etched in our memories."

Aerosmith singer Steve Tyler said: "We loved you forever, we will miss you always. RIP Joe Cocker."

Fellow rock singer Bryan Adams tweeted: "Joe Cocker has died. RIP my good friend, you were one of the best rock singers ever."

Thanks
    His iconic voice will forever be etched in our memories.

he died, but is voice is eternal.

Thanks
    Great memories - my one claim to fame is that he bought me a pint in the Red Lion in Chesterfield, been living off that for ages (but have never said that it was just because I was at the bar with with one of his mates).
    We used to go to see him at the Barrow Hill (bottom) a pub in that village and at the Markham Arms in Brimington (both free of charge), then at a stag do, probably a year later in Sheffield he was on the the Black Swan and we were affronted that they required us to pay a pound to get in!!

Both at the Barrow Hill and Markham Arms the finest song he ever sang was The Same Old Song (Four Tops) probably better than (and I do not say this lightly as he was my greatest hero) LEVI STUBBS and no one has ever come close to him. Does anyone know if he ever recorded it - always looking but never found it.

Anyone else remember him before A Little Help From My Friends

R.I.P Joe