Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VU+ Duo Motorised dish help

Thanks

VU+ Duo Motorised dish help

Hi All
    Am trying to install a motorised system and would be grateful for your help and advice.

System

VU+ Duo BH 2.1
    Twin LNB
    1m Dish
    STAB HH100

STAB site give me following info for my locations.
    LAT: 51.6°N
    LON: 0°E
    HH100 & HH120: 22.5°

Question1- Dish elevation has markings to 30 only. How do i set it for 22.5

Question 2. I have read Dummies guide to setting up Vu+ Duo by Lee Goldwafers.com.
    Have entered my info for
    Configuration Mode: Simple
    Mode: Positioner
    (Make sure you enter your own Longitude settings here)
    WEST
    (Make sure you enter your own Latitude settings here)
    NORTH

When I go to Configuration Mode: Advanced to set up each satellite, the co-ordinates are different. Do I need to reset co-ordinates for each satellite?

Question 3 I understand correctly for each satellite i change LNB from 1 to 2 to 3,4,5,6, etc? Can someone please explain reason for this.

Question 4 The Dummies guide seems to be for VBoxII. If I am using Usals do I need to change any of the options under "Use USALS for this sat: " to Yes

Thank you again for your help.
    Lou

Thanks
    If I was you I would enter my location then use USAL and go get a channel list and install that that's the easiest way. If your setup outside is correct all the sats in the channel list will fall into place if not you might need to tweek or reset your dish.
    Good Luck

Thanks
    You cannot set a VU duo up with twin LNB on a motorised it will not work properly need to be connected to two dishes am 99% sure this is correct

Which make of dish is it ?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,403 Posts
    Using USALS you do not need to set up each satellite, that's only for Diseqc 1.2, once you have entered your latitude, and longitude, you just send the motor, and dish, to the satellite you want to use for aligning, I suggest Thor, 0.8W, and then you physically adjust the dish/motor, on the pole, until you get the strongest signal possible, for that satellite.
    For a motorized system to track the satellite arc your pole must be absolutely plumb.
    Do you have a satellite meter, to help you align the dish?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satpaul View Post
    You cannot set a VU duo up with twin LNB on a motorised it will not work properly need to be connected to two dishes am 99% sure this is correct

I think you have twin LNB confused with something else, the VU+ Duo is designed to work with a twin LNB, two outputs, one for each tuner. I am using a twin LNB, on my motorized dish, with a VU+ Duo 2.
    Last edited by Mickha; 29-11-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickha View Post
    I think you have twin LNB confused with something else, the VU+ Duo is designed to work with a twin LNB, two outputs, one for each tuner. I am using a twin LNB, on my motorized dish, with a VU+ Duo 2.
    what settings do you set second output to so it moves the dish?

Thanks
    Using USALS you do not need to set up each satellite, that's only for Diseqc 1.2, once you have entered your latitude, and longitude, you just send the motor, and dish, to the satellite you want to use for aligning, I suggest Thor, 0.8W, and then you physically adjust the dish/motor, on the pole, until you get the strongest signal possible, for that satellite.
    For a motorized system to track the satellite arc your pole must be absolutely plumb.
    Do you have a satellite meter, to help you align the dish?
    Hi
    Thanks for your response.
    I have a earphone style sat meter. The pole is plumb ( assuimg my spirit level is accurate).
    Sorry but I am slightly confused now. So you say I should not be setting the Diseq option under Advanced menu?
    is there a guide for setting VU+ for Usals. I have the Dummies guide
    Thanks again
    Lou

Thanks

Gibertini dish. I thought you connect one LNB to Tuner A via motor and other lnb socket directly to Tuner B?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    what settings do you set second output to so it moves the dish?
    You have Tuner A and Tuner B, you can set either to move the dish and the second Tuner is set as second cable from motorized dish, that way you can use the same bouquets, and the same line, so when recording a channel you can view other channels, on that satellite.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,122 Times in 687 Posts
    The dummies guide tells you everything you need to know. Re-read it again. Tuner configuration should be set to simple, positioner NOT advanced if you're using USALS.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satlou View Post
    Gibertini dish. I thought you connect one LNB to Tuner A via motor and other lnb socket directly to Tuner B?
    You do.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hda5 View Post
    The dummies guide tells you everything you need to know. Re-read it again. Tuner configuration should be set to simple, positioner NOT advanced if you're using USALS.
    Thanks for this. I have read the guide a few times but i think i missed something I think I made the mistake of reading section on .How to setup Vu+ with VBox II DiSEqC 1.2 Positioner.
    If i understood correctly, should just ignore that section, set Tuner to Simple? Then dish should move to correct satellite using downloaded Sat lists? Do I need to do anything in the Tuning and Satfinder, Positioner section of the menus.
    Thanks again for your help.

Thanks
    You do.
    Thanks. At the momnet I will be using Input A. Input B may be connected to standard small dish pointing at 28.e or connected to second LNB output once I get more cable.
    Until then should I set Tuner B as Not Configured? Also does it matter which LNB output I connect cable to.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by satlou; 29-11-2014 at 01:40 PM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Yes leave Tuner B as Not Configured and concentrate on Tuner A, set this up as Simple, mode = Positioner, and enter your latitude, and longitude, then save the settings and download one of the channel lists, using the Black Hole menu options.

Thanks
    Hi All
    Set up USALS but not getting any signal at all. The Satbeeper indicates a tuned signal ( the beep turns pitch as I change elevation on dish). Even when i have setting to single sat I am not getting any signal on 0.8w. Even with dish pointing roughly south I should be getting a signal on a single sat set up? Not a receiver issue as it work with standard small dish to 28E.
    Any help.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    A cheap satellite meter can give you a signal, even when not pointing at a satellite, this is how they are designed to work.
    You increase the sensitivity, turn the knob to the left, until the meter reads 5, half way, you then adjust your dish, gently, until the meter jumps to 10, full, you then decrease sensitivity, by turning the knob right, until it reads 5 again, adjust the dish to get it to 10, and continue this process until your meter gets the strongest signal possible, this includes gentely moving the dish East/West, and adjusting the elevation.
    Once you have the strongest siganl possible you try scanning in some channels, on your receiver, and work out which satellite you've picked up. You then move your dish East/West to find the satellite you're trying to get.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

Aldo (30-11-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks Mickha
    The Satbeeper can be confusing as it is beeping all the time and pitch changes when signal changes. There is no sensitivity button, just 2 inputs and headphone socket.
    May have to buy a cheap meter. But I still dont understand why i am not getting anything whatsoever, on any sattellite. Using compass pointing to south, shouldn't I get some sort of a signal on 0.8?. AGC at 99% SNR at 0. Have checked all connections. Does it make any difference which LNB socket I am connected to? Is there any way to test an LNB?
    Thanks again.
    Lou

V.I.P
    Thanks
    You can test the LNB, and cable connections, using a cheap meter, as it will light up, when connected, if everything is working.
    SNR is your Signal Quality, unless you have an active transponder, on your receiver, and aligned to a satellite, using that frequency, polarity, and symbol rate, or close to it, you will not get any signal quality reading, which is why a cheap meter is always a good idea, even a £6-£10 one:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Ordered exact model. Should be here on Wed. Will let you know how I get on.
    Re SNR, if setting is on Auto transponder wont the VU cycle through all settings and find something.
    Thanks again
    Lou

V.I.P
    Thanks
    That will take time, and a lot of patience, with a meter you should find a satellite in a few minutes.
    Please keep us posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast