Thread: Solo2 channel order(all) always in alphabetical order grrrrrrr

Thanks

Solo2 channel order(all) always in alphabetical order grrrrrrr

I have spent many nights trying different methods but I cannot get my new Solo2 to list channels in numerical order like my Technomate receiver. All I get is an alphabetical list which is quite frustrating!

All I want to achieve is this:
    Example: Hotbird 13 in numerical order:

1. AB1
    2. France2
    3. France3
    4. France 4
    5. AB motors
    6. M6
    7. etc... 8 etc... and so on and so forth.

You get the gist.

Is there any way I can achieve the above with the latest BH image and dreamboxedit channel editor where I can have channels in numerical order under(all), not favourites( I never use that), nor satellite, or provider.
    Just the old fashion channels in numerical order where I can press 1 on my remote and get AB1 on hotbird as per list above. I attach a picture of my current list of alphabetically arranged channels which is driving me bonkers.DSCF0179.JPG

Many thanks

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,083 Posts
    AFAIAA you are going to have to use the Favourite list to do that. I cannot see why using Favourites is an issue. You can put any channels you like in it in any order you desire and separate them with markers into categories.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 007.4 For This Useful Post:

echelon (02-10-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks 007.
    But I don't want to use favourites. I have presumed buying a high end receiver like this one will allow me to have an old fashioned numerical list of all channels and be able to edit said list in any order I want just like 'cheaper' receivers.

In the beeches
    Thanks
    I will ask the dumb question that everyone else is wondering.

Why don't you want to use favourites. It can do everything you have asked for.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Burnham For This Useful Post:

echelon (02-10-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allnighter View Post
    Thanks 007.
    But I don't want to use favourites. I have presumed buying a high end receiver like this one will allow me to have an old fashioned numerical list of all channels and be able to edit said list in any order I want just like 'cheaper' receivers.
    this has nothing to do with the box you have bought , it doesnt even come with any channels in it

the box is just a box, with the ability to run linux , nothing more, which you the owner have to make work for yourself as best you can, either with or without tools or channel lists or editors etc

what you are asking about is how to adapt an after market image and channel file setup (the programs, plugins or apps) to do as you want, which requires knowledge on programming to achieve, or you use the bespoke solutions that abound on these boxes, which tends to have a BOUQUET option which allows you to put channels into a favourite (bouquet or section) and then move them about as you so wish, in any order you want them in

so if you wanted to you can have one favourite called say ALL CHANNELS and then add in all the channels you require, then move them into the order you want them in , so replicating your exact wishes

I wouldnt do this, as I prefer to have a HD section , sports section, movies section, entertainment section , freesat section , entertainment section , do***entary section , news section etc , or by satellite and then sub-sections as required , leaving the original channel lineup ALL intact and untouched

but I see no problem in you adapting one section to have all the required channels copied into it, then moved about into the order you wish

so have one section, called "all my channels" or whatever you like, then add in your channels from the main list and adapt and move them about to your hearts content

I know I do this with my Entertainment or freesat section (bouquets) and so as Burnham correctly says , you can easily do this too, so leave the main list alone, add one sub-section bouquet and name it, then drop in all the channels you need from the main list into this sub-list bouquet , then move them up or down until you have the order you require for the channels you require (nobody uses all of them anyway)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Aldo (02-10-2014), allnighter (02-10-2014)

Thanks
    i'm wondering if the o/p is wanting the channel list on every satellites channel list to start from channel number one [1] if he has the bh image and he has scanned say from 30w to 42 e then his channel list will start ie:- at no1 on 30w and end at no 8000 on 42e if he does want to set every sats channel list from number 1 it can be done with other images
    like the PLI that has a user interface section/ alternative numbering where you can change the channel numbering but he will still need set a bouquet for each satellite channels with the dreamboxedit and then move the channels in his own personnel number positions on every satellite, i do this for my own use but it does take time and patients
    Last edited by clipper; 02-10-2014 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnham View Post
    I will ask the dumb question that everyone else is wondering.

Why don't you want to use favourites. It can do everything you have asked for.
    I guess I never had to use the fav section with receivers like Technomate 7100 or other receivers I had previously. I always scanned a satellite, the result is channels from 1 to say, 1600, then I used the remote to 'edit' and move channels around to my fav position starting from No1 upwards. It sounds stupid, but I am expecting the Solo (or at least the BH image) to behave like a bog standard receiver and classify all channels numerically, not in alphabetical order.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    this has nothing to do with the box you have bought , it doesnt even come with any channels in it

the box is just a box, with the ability to run linux , nothing more, which you the owner have to make work for yourself as best you can, either with or without tools or channel lists or editors etc

what you are asking about is how to adapt an after market image and channel file setup (the programs, plugins or apps) to do as you want, which requires knowledge on programming to achieve, or you use the bespoke solutions that abound on these boxes, which tends to have a BOUQUET option which allows you to put channels into a favourite (bouquet or section) and then move them about as you so wish, in any order you want them in

so if you wanted to you can have one favourite called say ALL CHANNELS and then add in all the channels you require, then move them into the order you want them in , so replicating your exact wishes

I wouldnt do this, as I prefer to have a HD section , sports section, movies section, entertainment section , freesat section , entertainment section , do***entary section , news section etc , or by satellite and then sub-sections as required , leaving the original channel lineup ALL intact and untouched

but I see no problem in you adapting one section to have all the required channels copied into it, then moved about into the order you wish

so have one section, called "all my channels" or whatever you like, then add in your channels from the main list and adapt and move them about to your hearts content

I know I do this with my Entertainment or freesat section (bouquets) and so as Burnham correctly says , you can easily do this too, so leave the main list alone, add one sub-section bouquet and name it, then drop in all the channels you need from the main list into this sub-list bouquet , then move them up or down until you have the order you require for the channels you require (nobody uses all of them anyway)
    Thanks Echelon. your answer clarifies a lot to me, so I just have to 'put up' with the alphbetical order and create my own list in the fav section.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to allnighter For This Useful Post:

echelon (02-10-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    i'm wondering if the o/p is wanting the channel list on every satellites channel list to start from channel number one [1] if he has the bh image and he has scanned say from 30w to 42 e then his channel list will start ie:- at no1 on 30w and end at no 8000 on 42e if he does want to set every sats channel list from number 1 it can be done with other images
    like the PLI that has a user interface section/ alternative numbering where you can change the channel numbering but he will still need set a bouquet for each satellite channels with the dreamboxedit and then move the channels in his own personnel number positions on every satellite, i do this for my own use but it does take time and patients
    Yes I wanted every satellite to start from number 1 instead of a, b, c, d.. Could you gimme a link to any channel editor that can do that? I don't mind if it's time consuming.

Thanks
    The ALL channels section on the receiver is not meant for you to use in this way, it's simply the database for your receiver which is why you cant modify it in the way you want to.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheonix For This Useful Post:

allnighter (02-10-2014), echelon (02-10-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allnighter View Post
    Yes I wanted every satellite to start from number 1 instead of a, b, c, d.. Could you gimme a link to any channel editor that can do that? I don't mind if it's time consuming.
    ********************************* ********************************* *****************
    when you say every satellite to start from number 1. i take it you mean the channel list
    on every sat to be numbered from number 1, like the technomate 5402 and other non linux boxes.
    as i said you need a image that has a user interface as well as the customise section then it that section
    you can select the alternative numbering and that will set the channel list to show every satellites chn list
    numbered from number one. i dont use the vix images but i think vix has this feature as well as the pli plus
    many other teams images so it just use a image you like, you can use the vucc panel to control the vu
    i use the dreambox edit and both are posted on the forums and i'm sure they will be on here to download
    not many use there own scanned channel list. i have always gone the way of scanning all my channels and
    then sorting them in my personnel order on all the sats.i also use named markers to put the channels in sections
    like films/sport/music/do***entry etc

17. The Following User Says Thank You to clipper For This Useful Post:

allnighter (02-10-2014)

Thanks
    I think one point here is that the channel list is unlimited , so I suppose you could have between 10000 and 20000 channels across say 20 satellites

so you can group the channels by satellite , one or more bouquets for each sat

then you can sub-section the sat into movies - sport - news etc

you can also have it have say all the sports channels in one full bouquet, stepping through from say 42e to 30w , so the dish isnt swinging wildly (if its motorised) - so you would not want to reorder say 15000 channels in the main list anyway

so lets assume you want 28e , so you scan it (or use a premade list) and get say 800 channels , some are duplicated like regional ones etc

now you could add all 800 I would think (unless there are limits) into one fav called all-28e

then have sub-sections , like entertainment - sports , movies , freesat , news , kids etc etc

repeat for all the other sats if you have more than one

then you can move channels up or down each bouquet as required until each section is in the order you want it in

or just have each sat with its name and all as the title , with the nested required channels inside it, moved into their correct positions

so an ALL for 28e

an ALL for hotbird 13e

an ALL for astra 19e

then move them into the order you want

or even one big one with ALL required channels inside it, moved into sat order then channel order as required

the choice is yours on how to arrange it

so I select a bouquet for say entertainment on 28e, then go up and down the channels to find the one I want, positioned where I want it within that list

so it may start

BBC1 HD
    BBC2 HD
    ITV1 HD Granada
    C4 HD

etc

the trick here is actually to decide how you want it to be, then make it that way by using favourites, even if its just one big FAV called ALL CHANNELS

just forget about moving the main scanned channel list, and create your own from it, with one or more than one fav containing your channels

most bespoke boxes only allow say 100 to 200 channels in a fav list , whereas this linux box means you just decide how you want it and make it that way , by choosing and adding from the full alphabetical channel list into your own section or sections (or sub sections) (or choose from one bouquet and add to another)

backup your list, and add an E2 catseye list, see how his are arranged

then if you think you want it different , pick one of his sections, rename it, and add all the wanted channels to it , or decide after looking at his list how you want yours arranging

I usually use the remote to view and add channels to bouquets, then use the MOVE MODE to move them about, like on my old tm1500 or spiderbox, or use dreamboxedit or similar on a pc

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

allnighter (02-10-2014), nml (02-10-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 854 Posts
    I agree with everything echelon said but would like to add that there is an option in settings cant remember where exactly and cant get near the box at the moment but you can sort them in number order. For example I have BBC1,BBC2,ITV and ch 4 on 27.5 West 1,2,3,4 followed by 28.2 East channels all in the same bouquet as echelon says it is really easy.

nml

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nml For This Useful Post:

allnighter (02-10-2014), echelon (02-10-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks Echelon for your comprehensive and detailed explanation on how the Solo2 and other similar boxes work when it comes to channels sorting. What clicked it for me was Phoenix stating that the "All" section is a database which should be left alone and cannot be modified. That explanation put everything in place in my mind on how to proceed with these types of boxes as of now. I shall follow your suggestions to the letter in the favourite section and see how I'll get on.

Thanks again for taking the time and putting in the effort in helping me decide to keep the Solo2 for now as I was on the verge of sending it back.

My next challenge is setting up the motorised diseq 1.2 (non USAL), one minute it's moving the dish next it's not(increase the voltage to the Lnb?). That is for another thread I guess.

Many thanks again
    Last edited by allnighter; 02-10-2014 at 09:11 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to allnighter For This Useful Post:

echelon (02-11-2014)

Thanks
    Hi all, i have the latest Vix Apollo on my ibox2+. It`s a motorised setup,

What i want to do is bring ten or so channels from the Sirius/Astra satellite list into one of the bouquets, probably `Entertainment`.
    I`ve fought with this for ages but i can`t see how to do it! ??

Grateful for any guidance!!

Thanks
    Press "up" > highlight the channels you want to move > press menu > select "add service to bouquet" > press "ok" > then select the bouquet of your choice and press "ok"

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Satcat For This Useful Post:

echelon (02-11-2014), satscene (02-11-2014)

Thanks
    as mentioned above, use ADD to add from one section to another section, then select the section (bouquet) and MOVE them into position , ie:- reorder them into the order you are happy with within the section, after they have been added