Thread: Feedback on Openbox,Skybox etc

Thanks

Feedback on Openbox,Skybox etc

As I have already posted I am doing away with Sky. This leaves a slight problem for number 1 (and only) son and what he can watch in his room

Anyway I was thinking of utilising the feeds from the Sky dish and using one to feed my Spiderbox in my bedroom and the other for him. I don't want to spend much, sub £50. Have seen these Openbox/Skybox for sale. Searched on here and seem to get good feedback. As well as Freesat what do they give me. I see some advertise 'gifts'. How far do the gifts go (sorry if I'm not allowed to ask) and which box do people recommend please.

Do they facilitate Clines?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    those "gifts" are the illegal variety so wont be any discussions about them on here, sorry

most people dont rate those cheap and nasty boxes and I would get a spiderbox rather than buy one of those iffy boxes myself

you wont find much about them on here as this forum does not support them at all

yes I believe they facilitate sea lions

Thanks
    Thanks once again Echelon for your honest feedback. I may give him my Spiderbox then and work on the wife for a suitable replacement for me (sorry us).

Thanks
    If your just using it on Fixed 28.2° east then a DM500s with Commando 15.0c image on it and you will find there is nothing else that can come close, Picons, 7 Day EPG and Autobouquets everything you need.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digicon For This Useful Post:

echelon (13-08-2014), heyho (13-08-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by digicon View Post
    If your just using it on Fixed 28.2° east then a DM500s with Commando 15.0c image on it and you will find there is nothing else that can come close, Picons, 7 Day EPG and Autobouquets everything you need.
    Cheers. Not an issue that they don't have HDMI just Scart?

Thanks
    Just seen a Vu Solo Chinese import on ******* at £69 which is about what I want to spend. Plus there were a load of other boxes with Enigma 2 on them at around £60-70

Is that an option or do I stick with a DM500?

Thanks
    please note we dont allow posts about alternative suppliers on here due to having a forum sponsor who sells boxes

neither do we support clones on here , especially not clone ones that oppose the legal boxes sold by goldwafers

I respectfully suggest the last post is deleted and no more posts of a similar nature , hope you understand ?

thank you

Thanks
    Ok I shall reword it. Apologies. I'm certainly not wanting to go down the clone (cheap components, unreliability etc) but more wanting to know if there was an original box with Enigma 2 / Linux capabilities in that price range

I had looked on the sponsers site first but they don't have the DM500 or an equivalent enigma 2 box in this price range. I am happy to be told that is because any in this price range are unreliable clones and to be avoided.

The problem is that the low end market is awash with clones. I've looked for the Dm500 as had been recommended and it looks like most new boxes are clones.

Is it true to say that any Enigma 2 box in this price range should be treated as a clone and avoided then?
    Last edited by heyho; 12-09-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks
    I can say i have both a openbox x3 and x5 both purchased from ******* and not had a prob with them, one used in the kichen and other in the bedroom . Both run lines well from the same source, would say the picture quality not as good as my tm5402hd but for smaller screen are fine and both cost under £60.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oaktye View Post
    I can say i have both a openbox x3 and x5 both purchased from ******* and not had a prob with them, one used in the kichen and other in the bedroom . Both run lines well from the same source, would say the picture quality not as good as my tm5402hd but for smaller screen are fine and both cost under £60.
    Thanks oaktye but what I am asking is whether there is a budget non clone enigma 2 /Linux available. A Technomate Nano has been suggested but our sponsers don't stock them. And as I have mentioned the DM500 does seem to be awash with clones.

Thanks
    DMM have not made the dm500 for about 7 or 8 years which is why the boxes are all clones (and Enigma 1 , not 2)

the dm800 came out as E2 and superceded the DM500 , hence the clones carried on with the dm500 and then moved onto cloning the 800

as times moved on the sponsors here stopped selling the originals and basically moved onto the VU range , of which there are also clones too

so to clarify. the DM 500 is Enigma 1 and only SD , no HD , and originals would be up to 10 years old

hope that helps ?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

heyho (12-09-2014)

Thanks
    My reply heyho was actually to your 1st post which didnt mention Enigma2/linux, also i was goin to say the same about dm500s as Echelon, my neighbour has a chinese clone version gathering dust on his shed shelf because its only sd quality
    Last edited by oaktye; 12-09-2014 at 02:06 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to oaktye For This Useful Post:

echelon (12-09-2014)

Thanks
    blade 500s was the same, as was I think the TM600 , many , many versions of the clone 500s SD box exist , probably a few originals too , actually made by DMM, although might be difficult to tell now if you saw one

please read this about clones and satpimps

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...d-newest-image

V.I.P
    Thanks
    just get yourself a technomate 5402, much easier n better to use than any enimga box....then give the spiderbox to the lad :]

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,204 Times in 395 Posts
    why not give your spider to your lad...and buy yourself another spider from sponsor
    you get the new one...lol instant upgrade

Thanks
    My reply heyho was actually to your 1st post which didnt mention Enigma2/linux, also i was goin to say the same about dm500s as Echelon, my neighbour has a chinese clone version gathering dust on his shed shelf because its only sd quality
    There must be loads of people caught out by the low end satellite market. To be fair the ones I looked on ******* stated quite clearly they were Chinese imports which puts you off but many seem to be their own brand. The only thing putting me off the Openbox is the user interface and EPG hence why I sort of think Enigma is the way forward.

I do appreciate your advice though and googled your suggestions to look at it.