Thread: BSkyB Unveils Plan For European Pay-TV Giant

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts

BSkyB Unveils Plan For European Pay-TV Giant

A £5.3bn deal to buy Sky Italia and a majority of Sky Deutschland will create a pay-TV leader in five European markets.

7:52am UK, Friday 25 July 2014

HTML Code:
    http://news.sky.com/story/1307204/bskyb-unveils-plan-for-european-pay-tv-giant

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Aldo For This Useful Post:

Nikkas (25-07-2014)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts
    The economies of one organization on one platform would be much greater if they were on one satellite position, my guess is they will try to migrate them on to one sat position which will be difficult because of the large fta domestic tv markets that were there before the pay tv markets in Germany and Italy developed.

One thing that wont change is high prices in all three countries.

Verified Registered User Jimdefruit's Avatar
    Thanks
    The reasons behind this are that Uncle Ruppie who owns Fox is trying to sell the Fox shares in Italia and German Tv to get capital back into Fox to buy Time Warner.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Wonder what the implications here are for cs over & above what has already been taking place witgh the Italia & UK HD channels etc?
    In addition of course Sky has other worldwide outlets, e.g. Sky Tata in India! Wonder if BSkyB has any interest/ambition in that area too?

No doubt its a case of 'watch this space'!

V.I.P
    Thanks
    GOD HELP US come to mind.
    Somebody should put a **** under Ruppie and do the world a service

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffh View Post
    GOD HELP US come to mind.
    Somebody should put a **** under Ruppie and do the world a service
    Yes I and many others would probably be of the same opinion, if this comes off he will not only have a strangle hold over the UK sports, but European sports as well.

Thanks
    Sky control SKY ITALIA and SKY GERMANY now they may not have full control yet but they have the say what goes on encryption wise etc

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Sty are running all 3 providers.

Thanks
    I am still amazed that people are willing to pay a subscription to watch about a third of the content being adverts.
    Customers seem to tolerate this to be able to watch sports which are monopolised by their empire. We need a campaign to boycott them Europe wide.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to crabber For This Useful Post:

painter (26-07-2014)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    My own personal boycott started 10 or 12 years ago, I don't want junk American tv, their sports coverage is second rate these days as well !

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    I agree with TonyO - about all this junk US rubbish - but as regards the other content, espec the sports, what choice DO we have other than Sky - as many other packages surely can be dif to subscribe to in the UK?
    Ok, I do cs and IPTV too - but the IPTV is mostly in quite poor SD only, ok cs is ok on HD, that's with what's left now after big the Sky HD clear out so far at least - so with BBC and ITV being very limited in their 'premium' sports coverage (cricket and soccer!) its very difficult NOT to go with Sky!
    Heck, we can't even sub the sports only as in the old days (analogue), so choices in the UK CAN be a little limited - well, that's in MY opinion anyway!

Thanks
    Yes you are right, they monopolise sports so customers have no choice. In Australia cricket and some other sports are protected so you are not forced to pay to watch.
    Their stated aim is to make money, they are not interested in making good drama, do***entary or comedy programs, content to fill in the gaps between the adverts with programs made by others, often ITV or BBC.
    As for the money "invested" in the premier league, (I better not get on a rant with that one) the result can be seen from the "success" of the English team at the world cup.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to crabber For This Useful Post:

geoffh (26-07-2014)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crabber View Post
    As for the money "invested" in the premier league, (I better not get on a rant with that one) the result can be seen from the "success" of the English team at the world cup.
    Spot on. The insane amounts of TV rights money that has gone into premier league clubs has been spent on players from overseas, at the expense of up and coming talent in this country.

Thanks
    I don't have to many pleasures in life I don't drink much and I don't smoke but I love my football ,United ,but all sports,movies,nature docs ect so I subscribe to sky ,full package ,phone,fibre broadband the lot ,this doesn't mean I agree with there pricing policies or some of there other practices,and yea I would just like to pay for a couple of channels for just football but they are not stupid,but me and my mrs work hard and we actually like sky yea I did just say that ,there sky HD + receiver is groundbreaking easy to use and works well,,like someone says above the adverts are ridiculous but with a bit of forethought and sky+ these can be minimised ,and I think there's been some great American series on there sopranos ,the wire,breaking bad ,true detective ,heroes,fringe the list goes on,don't get me wrong there's a lot of ****e too but it's my choice ,I also use a solo2 with a decent share for all footy and a bit exxxtra if rupee gets these 2 providers as well will it affect me ? Probably not just my opinion

18. The Following User Says Thank You to simon 2003 For This Useful Post:

cosworth4x4 (27-07-2014)