Thread: Transfering HD recordings from a HDD in satellite receiver

V.I.P
    Thanks

Transfering HD recordings from a HDD in satellite receiver

I have never had or used a DVD recorder, not even a player and have no knowledge of what they can do. Now Iīd like to transfer all my HD movies recorded on 2TB hard disk in a satellite receiver onto a HDD in a DVD or Blu-Ray recorder before my subscription expires and it becomes impossible, so I lose all my recordings on HDD.

I have searched on the net, but couldnīt find a single DVD or Blu-Ray recorder on the market having a HDMI input, just outputs. Can somebody suggest such a recorder with at least 1TB HDD installed? Is it possible to record HD at all? It looks that TV, satellite TV and movie producers have successfully suppressed the copying, having protected it.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    not possible I am afraid (never say never but in this case I believe you wont be able to do this)

no dvd recorder will accept a HDMI input , that is the whole point of HDMI , to have active outputs only allowed to go to a passive input , which is why they only allow scart to scart with SD quality

had the recordings been done on a linux box like a VU for example, to an internal hdd, you could have just sent them over the ethernet using an FTP program like flash fxp

even if you bought the program that allows extraction from the disk itself (connected to a sata pc) I am not sure you can actually extract the HD recordings, only copy from disk to disk using their original non-standard format

so my opinion is - not a chance (unless somebody contradicts me and knows a technical method of achieving this)

as for recorders, there only seems to be the panasonic ones nowadays and like I said, no HDMI inputs , only scart and phono

3. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

EXTRAFACTO (13-07-2014)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thank you for your answer echelon. More or less I have expected itīs hopeless, however it helps me to stop looking for a way how to do it and forget about my recordings.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to luis For This Useful Post:

echelon (13-07-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luis View Post
    however it helps me to stop looking for a way how to do it and forget about my recordings.
    not strictly true, as you can easily connect a dvd recorder by scart lead and transfer the recordings in RGB onto the hdd of the recorder, then edit and fastdub to dvdr disc for archiving. I do this regularly from my sly HD box onto a sony hxd dvd/hdd recorder , the only caveat is that you do not get to keep it in HD quality like it was on the hdd of the sly box (its in SD quality but still very good quality nevertheless) , I am currently doing this with 24 from sly one HD and putting 4 episodes onto each disc

so yes you can do it, but not preserving it in HD format

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Yes, I know I can use scart cable and record in SD, but I probably wonīt do that. I only watch HD recently and donīt record if it isnīt HD. To me, picture definition is not less important than contents.

Thanks
    that is why this statement you made is true

Quote Originally Posted by luis View Post
    I have searched on the net, but couldnīt find a single DVD or Blu-Ray recorder on the market having a HDMI input, just outputs. Can somebody suggest such a recorder with at least 1TB HDD installed?

Is it possible to record HD at all? It looks that TV, satellite TV and movie producers have successfully suppressed the copying, having protected it.
    they do not want you or I to have this facility, so they actively make sure its not available on domestic dvd recorders
    you can wish to find the holy grail, but if its hidden from you, you cannot (even though it may be out there or can be made)

if you wish to record in HD and preserve it in HD, then you need a box with hdd that allows it, and export it to a pc for processing

9. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Aldo (13-07-2014)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    this is just a thought and never tried it but a lot of stb's allow you to record to an external device by choice (usb, hdd etc), could this device be a blue ray writer and if so you have a solution (maybe)

Thanks
    his sly box only allows external transfer by scart and by rf an@logue output from rf1 out or rf2 out

this could go to a pc using a scart to usb adapter like the easycap or similar, but it would not be in HD quality
    therefore it would not matter if he recorded it onto a single layer dvdr , a dual layer dvdr or a blu ray disk
    the content would still be of an inferior quality to the original HD recording on his hdd in the sly box

bear in mind the manufacturers have tied up the market by withdrawing component out and sticking with hdmi whose main purpose is to only allow a passive device (a monitor or tv etc) to be connected to an active output (the sly HD box in this case)

people can speculate as much as they like but should bear in mind all the nerds and boffins at the companies who make these devices and agree the international standards have sewn up the HD facilities market in order to stop HD recording of films etc onto blu ray

clearly we get mkv and similar offerings on the net, probably from vu boxes or linux boxes or similar, but the OP wishes to record his HD content from a sly HD box, in HD , to a blu ray , whilst the people who make the boxes and recorders have taken steps to prevent it

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Aldo (14-07-2014), geoffh (14-07-2014)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Well m8s, I just made a mistake having recorded some nice movies on sly box. Had I recorded them on other boxes (I have 3 HD Dreamboxes, all using internal or external HDD, one of them using as hard disc player) I would be able to watch them any time I choose.

Thanks
    is it not possible to remove the sly box hard drive and plug it into your pc
    and copy the files ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,173 Posts
    You can do that with some models but only for the FTA channels* and I believe only the SD ones. You also need a bit of special s/w to read the HDD as it is not quite the same file system as NTFS - Google for Copy+ and you should find links to it all.

[ * The reason is that a Sly Digibox saves the files in their raw encrypted form and decrypts them on playback, unlike a Linux box which saves the decrypted data ].