Thread: 4.4.4 out

Thanks

4.4.4 out

4.4.4 build KTU 84P is on Google download page. This a security fix but does not include June's fix for Geohots towelroot. So it looks like 4.4.5 will be out soon. More over at XDA.

Verified Registered User davorp's Avatar
    Thanks
    Who can install it? I have Acer Iconia B1 tablet, can I install the update, or it's just for newer hardware?

Thanks
    Sorry I should have said that it's mainly for Nexus devices.

This is the post. :-

Well, that was unexpected! After dozens of leaks leading up to the eventual release of Android 4.4.3, Android 4.4.4 has suddenly arrived without so much as a moment’s notice. The update itself has not yet begun rolling out to actual end user devices, but just like what we saw with 4.4.3 KTU84M, the factory images have been posted for the majority of the current generation Nexus fleet.

Today’s Android 4.4.4 builds come in at KTU84P for the Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 7 (2013), and Nexus 10. Unfortunately, just as was the case with 4.4.3 KTU84M, nothing is available for the Nexus 7 (2013) LTE-enabled variant at this time. According to Sprint’s update support do***entation released earlier today, this update only brings an unspecified “security fix.” No details are known at present if this build fixes the Linux kernel CVE-2014-3153 vulnerability that was exploited by geohot in towelroot, but it wouldn’t be much of a surprise if that were to be the case. Obviously, the earlier merge to kill Dalvik and implement ART as default runtime compiler has not yet made it to shipping builds.

You can get your fix by updating your device directly via the Nexus Factory Images page. And if building custom ROMs is your thing, grab the KitKat MR2.1 Source Code and then head over to the Nexus Driver Binaries page to get started.

Update: As pointed out by XDA Senior Member phaseL, this indeed does not implement a fix to the Linux kernel CVE-2014-3153 vulnerability exploited in geohot’s towelroot, as the kernel build date (Mar 13) was dated well before a patch was made available (June 3).
    Last edited by traveller; 20-06-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Added post

Thanks
    Here is the Google download page. :- _https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Thanks
    looks like my 2012 nexus one 32 gig 7 inch tablet has downloaded the lollipop 5.0.2 update, so am wondering if its safe to install this latest lollipop after the fiascos with 5.0.0 and 5.0.1 versions ?

has anyone installed it successfully as an update to 4.4.4 ? (kitkat) - my present OS

anyone know what the other forums are thinking about this latest incarnation of lollipop ?

thank you

I know my lad installed the lollipop 5.0.0 on his a few months ago and wasnt happy, so he was adviced to install the 4.4.4 factoy image but didnt understand the instructions telling him how it was achieved

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    looks like my 2012 nexus one 32 gig 7 inch tablet has downloaded the lollipop 5.0.2 update, so am wondering if its safe to install this latest lollipop after the fiascos with 5.0.0 and 5.0.1 versions ?

has anyone installed it successfully as an update to 4.4.4 ? (kitkat) - my present OS

anyone know what the other forums are thinking about this latest incarnation of lollipop ?

thank you

I know my lad installed the lollipop 5.0.0 on his a few months ago and wasnt happy, so he was adviced to install the 4.4.4 factoy image but didnt understand the instructions telling him how it was achieved
    I installed it on my nexus 2012 wifi version and some of the apps and Games I have don't work with lollipop. Also I don't see any difference in battery life. If I was to be honest - if you're happy with 4.4.4 and everything works - don't bother updating until all the apps and games you use are fixed to work with lollipop. I also have a nexus 5 mobile and a NVidia shield tablet, which are running lollipop - it's on those two android devices, but I wish I'd kept my nexus 2012 on 4.4.4, even so that I might downgrade it again, just so my purchased non working apps work.