Thread: pension from tata steel

Thanks

pension from tata steel

My wife's friend had a daughter twenty years ago and the husband left her when the child was four years old and got divorced.

When she was sixteen she wanted to get to now her father and her mother let her.

Over the last few years they have become very close and he has named her as next of kin.

He has sadly passed away yesterday.

He got married again and divorced again and his second wife has got married again and wants nothing to do with his pension.

My Question:

Does his daughter has a right to the pension or will it go to the state.

Thanks

Thanks
    My interpretation is if it is a private pension, then yes. But if it is a company or government pension then, no, half of it it would only go to a spouse.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Cloud For This Useful Post:

rasp (01-07-2015)

Verified Registered User bamber's Avatar
    Thanks
    First, there is no question of this "going to the state" as a pension is not an asset which can be passed on at death. It is simply the right to an income from the pension fund for the rest of the pensioner's life, so that right ceases on death. Not everyone gets the same return from a pension scheme: there will always be losers (those who die younger) and winners (those who die older). That is just how it works, as no-one can predict how long an individual pensioner will live, so schemes calculate their ability to pay pensions based on average life expectancies. The scheme holds its assets in its own name and, hopefully, they are sufficient to pay future pension liabilities.

The rules of a particular scheme may provide for benefits to dependants after death, but that would normally cover only the surviving spouse or minor children, so it is very unlikely that anyone is entitled to anything here.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bamber For This Useful Post:

rasp (01-07-2015)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    i am receiving a final salary pension my wife is entitled to a widows pension from this scheme if i pop my clogs before her sadly very few final salary pensions about now

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to welshpaddy For This Useful Post:

echelon (06-07-2015), Nikkas (01-07-2015)

Thanks
    When my father in law who was a widower died his company pension died with him as his only child (my wife ) was not a dependant.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,314 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rasp View Post
    My wife's friend had a daughter twenty years ago and the husband left her when the child was four years old and got divorced.

When she was sixteen she wanted to get to now her father and her mother let her.

Over the last few years they have become very close and he has named her as next of kin.

He has sadly passed away yesterday.

He got married again and divorced again and his second wife has got married again and wants nothing to do with his pension.

My Question:

Does his daughter has a right to the pension or will it go to the state.

Thanks
    Was he still working and paying in when he passed away , or had he started to claim the pension .
    that will make a big difference.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cosworth4x4 For This Useful Post:

echelon (06-07-2015), rasp (06-07-2015)

Thanks
    He was still employed by the company but was on the sick

Thanks
    Thanked 4,314 Times in 2,047 Posts
    i pretty sure if there was a next of kin named on there they will pay them out , best option for his daughter to contact them.

when girlfriend father passed away same situation on sick, they payed out a lump sum to all kids and wife got the monthly payments.

but its whats written in the policy , loads of different types only who its with will give a correct answer.
    Last edited by cosworth4x4; 06-07-2015 at 12:30 PM.