Thread: Food banks

Verified Registered User
    Thanks

Food banks

According to the Trussel trust who operate food banks there has been a 163% rise of people needing them over the past year. I don't personally know of anyone that needs one but I think those are shocking figures for the 8th richest country on the planet.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Tis a bad state of affairs but across the Atlantic they are used there to. According to a certain Former MP they could be doing more harm than good"http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26120067". I really don't think some people understand what's going on in their own country outside their little bubble world.
    Last edited by gadstamut; 19-04-2014 at 09:45 AM. Reason: forgot the word former

Thanks
    I really don't think some people understand what's going on in their own country outside their little bubble world.
    True, they are called 'sheople'

Thanks
    Like BIGTONE, I don't know of anyone dependant on a food bank in spite of the increase in the cost of living. However I do know that my state pension went up, but did that compensate? No!
    Why? Because my rent went up more than my pension.

It is hard to come to terms with all these figures being quoted but I can't help wondering how many destitute people drink, smoke or have a smart phone.
    However food banks should not be needed in this country, we are far greater than that.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    As someone who was made redundant after working continuously for 28 years (over 16 years in my last job) with just 1 days notice and having to wait over 14 months for my redundancy, I can understand how people end up having to use foodbanks. I came very close myself. When I signed on it took over 4 weeks for me to receive any money from the DWP, luckily I had a little money in the bank to see me through, till I got another job. Not everyone is that lucky, many people on low pay can only afford to live from week to week and if they lose their jobs they are stuffed.

The problem is that the Government & certain parts of the media have seen fit to demonize anyone who is in receipt of any kind of benefits, we all know someone who we think is a scrounger, but they are the very small minority and to tar everyone with the same brush is downright evil.

People seem to forget, it wasn't the poor or unemployed who screwed up the world economy, it was the greedy bankers & financiers, but lets blame the poor, it's easier and they don't donate to political parties.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jackpot18uk For This Useful Post:

allan238 (29-04-2014), dog-man (28-04-2014), melv (28-04-2014), Roadrunner (28-04-2014), sleepy (28-04-2014), terry l (29-04-2014)

Thanks
    I have never had enough food left over to put in a bank.

Thanks
    ok, i work in the city, and what i dont get - i dont know if they're homeless people, or organised gangs (most seem eastern european) - but they rummage through the bags put out by people like PRET, EAT, etc, taking packaged sandwhiches, some of them are REALLY picky too as to what they take - i used to watch them on my 4pm fag break - what is that all about?

obviously i dont mind if they're homeless as they obviously need them, and thats the point - but if they're gangs taking these for profit, and taking food literally from other peoples mouths who deserve them, then they are s***.
    Last edited by ManikM; 28-04-2014 at 09:32 PM.