Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my TM6800 Super dying?

Thanks

Is my TM6800 Super dying?

Im having picture break up despite perfect signal strength on all sats. Im getting the same with either the hdmi or the scart.The usb packed up a few months ago too. Do you think the tuner is on its way out and its time to upgrade? Im on the 760p to rule out the patch.
    many thanks for your thoughts.
    wilfreado.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Sounds like the old Power Supply Capacitor problem

Suggest you take a look at this thread mate:-

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread...ght=capacitors

Thanks
    Thanks Hamrag..Looks like I'll be paying a visit to the sponsors site for a new box. It's served me well for the last 6 years.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfreado View Post
    Thanks Hamrag..Looks like I'll be paying a visit to the sponsors site for a new box. It's served me well for the last 6 years.
    Sponsor? You thinking of changing to new make box?
    New TM5402HD M3 seems brill mate - but obviously Lee on here is also a BRILLIANT supplier - you really cant go wrong eh?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,700 Times in 1,823 Posts
    Check lnb first.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to manic01 For This Useful Post:

holmroad (15-04-2014)

Thanks
    Good point on the lnb manic. Ive had the box powered off for a couple of days and when I switched it on just now the picture break up was a lot worse. Im thinking then the receiver is the problem?
    Holmroad. I was initialy thinking of a Vu+ solo2 now you have sent me a curve ball. Decisions decisions?

Thanks
    Good point on the lnb manic. Ive had the box powered off for a couple of days and when I switched it on just now the picture break up was a lot worse. Im thinking then the receiver is the problem?
    Holmroad. I was initialy thinking of a Vu+ solo2 now you have sent me a curve ball. Decisions decisions?
    Problem as always mate is that its ALL a matter of personal opinion what you go for - everyone else will tell you what THEY'VE experienced with their various boxes, but at end of day there's only YOU can decide!
    Least we can all put our two pennies worth in - and leave the rest to YOU mate!
    NB: I'd also heard good feedback re Vu+ etc - as long as you are ok with the extra technology etc, but to me the TM is relatively easy to set up and use!
    Good luck!

Thanks
    If you're certain it's not the lnb(you said it was worse after leaving the receiver off but the lnb was off as well) then I'd take the cover off(with the power off...sorry!And leave for a few minutes before you pull the power lead out) and re-seat the connectors around the power supply.I had this problem on my 6800 Super and was amazed that a re-seat cured the problem.Initially I thought I'd disturbed a dry-joint but after 3 or 4 years it's still clear.Cheers

Thanks
    I agree holmroad. I've had a dream box prior to the TM so fairly conversant to what would be involved with a Vu+, however, you are right in not turning the thread into a best box dabate. Although any advice is appreciated.

Marki..After leaving the box on standby for a few hours the freeview channels burst into life with no break up. But the FTA on sly were blocking including freeview HD. I had a local installer out last week to re-align the dish after the pole had gone off vertical after the winter storms. Would a lnb problem be detected at that stage?
    I'll take the cover off tomorrow and check for blown capacitors and connectors.
    I'll let you know my findings.

Thanks
    Maybe not the lnb but it's so cheap compared to a new box but I suspect it's on the roof or difficult to get to.Do you know anyone with a satellite system where you can test the box?Good luck.Cheers Mark

Thanks
    Well I've had the cover off and poked about. Put it back together and reconnected it. The picture now is non existent! I recon its dead :-(

Holmroad...I was checking the settings in the menus. .how long has that extra "game" been there? It's tempted me into a 5402 now

Thanks
    Well I've had the cover off and poked about. Put it back together and reconnected it. The picture now is non existent! I recon its dead :-(

Holmroad...I was checking the settings in the menus. .how long has that extra "game" been there? It's tempted me into a 5402 now

Sorry mate but cant see TM6800 menu as I only have my TM5402HD M3! lol!!

Thanks
    How long has the M3 been out and is the picture quality as good as always?
    (There must be a thread discussing this somewhere. ..please point)

Thanks
    I suggest you disconnect it and lift the lid and find the power supply board.
    Have a look to see if any of the electrolytic capacitors have cans that are bulging upwards and if so, then that is your problem.

I am scrapping my 6800 which was working so if you want the power supply from it, then it's yours.
    You would need to unsolder and remove the mains interference choke from your old PSU and solder it to this one (4 x joints).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drh View Post
    I suggest you disconnect it and lift the lid and find the power supply board.
    Have a look to see if any of the electrolytic capacitors have cans that are bulging upwards and if so, then that is your problem.

I am scrapping my 6800 which was working so if you want the power supply from it, then it's yours.
    You would need to unsolder and remove the mains interference choke from your old PSU and solder it to this one (4 x joints).
    Think THAT'S the most logical suggestion mate - then at least wilfreado will have exhausted MOST of the more obvious actions to try and fix his box!

Thanks
    drh..your a star. Ive sent you a PM. If I can resuscitate the old girl I'll be well happy

Thanks
    You have a pm by return. The PSU has ben removed and is waiting to go to you.
    Good luck matey.

Dennis.

Thanks
    Thanks dennis. A further PM sent also.
    Its got to be worth a try. If it goes belly up I've decided to take a leaf out of holmroads book :-)

Thanks
    Thanks dennis. A further PM sent also.
    Its got to be worth a try. If it goes belly up I've decided to take a leaf out of holmroads book :-)
    This all sounds MOST promising guys?

Thanks
    It's ready to go after the Holiday now as the POs are closed until tuesday.

Please remember to replace the missing filter coils (which went open circuit) and then you can test your receiver.
    As you say, it's worth a try. I recall this 6800HD was returned to Technomate under warranty with a blank screen after the HDMI output failed.
    Wonder if yours has the same problem.
    It might be worth trying the SCART output instead of the HDMI.
    Try the replacement PSU first.

Dennis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast