Thread: New lnb required

Verified Registered User
    Thanks

New lnb required

I have an old 1.1 m offset motorised dish which has been working fine for over 13 years I guess. I have no idea what make it is unfortunately, in case this makes some difference. The lnb has developed a hole and I was wondering what type to get to replace it. An Aston interface DS 100 36v box moves it but I don't know if this requires a particular type of lnb or that any model will do.

Am pretty clueless sorry, regarding this and indeed many aspects of the technical aspects of this hobby, so any advice about what to purchase, would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Verified Registered User funtime26's Avatar
    Thanks
    Motor will be independent of LNB, collar size will matter, if 40mm inverto black ultra everytime, cheap as chips too!
    Of course LNB choice is a personal thing but concensus on here is that inverto black ultra gives great results.....works for me on 7.3W with 1.1m mesh dish.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to funtime26 For This Useful Post:

pibip98 (08-03-2014)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    I eventually got an Inverto Black premium 40mm lnb which I fitted when the old one packed in. I felt that the picture quality was improved but lost 26E which I watched now and again. However tonights rain is the first that I have experienced with the satellite on and the signal on some satellites has diminished drastically.

I have the old LNB which was a universal single made by Strong model SRT 1.915 or l.915 (letters etc well worn). The measurement around the "neck" is about 13 cms and the width does seem to be about 40mm. The length seems to be a bit longer than the new lnb. Thanks for the help so far based on my limited info but i was wondering if there is a lnb for me to use which may have a longer neck? Originally I had to jiggle the old LNB away from the dish I think to get 26E but the Inverto I have is probably too short to enable this to be received as shorter length doesnt move out as much.

Apologies for what i imagine to be muddled information throughout but I am not that techy and although was able to fit the new lnb advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation....again

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts
    I have a 24 year old fibreglass EchoStar 1.25ntr dish which originally came with a matching lnb that was 24mm wide at the collar, when its performance dipped about 10 years ago I got a dual output invacom for nearly £50 which worked ok without being great, its collar size was 28mm, I bit of bending and brute force in the vice soon had this fitting and working ok.

About a year ago I got a inverto black ultra for not much more than a tenner and the performance was amazing, fitting the lnb with a 40mm collar was a bit of a challenge, fiddly would be an understatement.

I had to make a new metal lnb support bracket to make it fit, I did the usual and made a cardboard copy of the original 24mm bracket and worked out the size and dimensions the new one should be to keep the same geometry for the feed angle.

The first effort was not quite right as the feed arm support holes were a bit adrift, the second one was spot on and has worked well with the lnb ever since, as the echostar is glass fibre and all the fittings are galvanized it doesn't look much different from the day I bought it.

As for 26e and 7w if the rain gets heavy enough they are both gone, light rain is ok heavy is not.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyO For This Useful Post:

pibip98 (02-09-2014)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,294 Times in 3,603 Posts
    Tony when you get a mo any chance you could post a pic of how you made the collar take the 40mm LNB please ?

I have the exact same dish which ive had for nearly 30yrs and its still performing perfectly,but i do need a new LNB and the c120 flange ones are far more expensive.

Ian.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    I didn't have a particularly safe position in which to fit the Inverto but with a bit of pushing it slid in. Don't think the clip closed with a "click" let's say but it's reasonably secure.
    I will try and find a similar sized lnb to the old universal but I think I will probably have to call a professional out as am at the limits of my understanding and ability. Thanks for the input but it's not something I am capable of doing, bit of a thickie with a lot of stuff sadly. Cheers

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Ian, if you don't mind waiting a few weeks I kept the template somewhere so I will dig it out and make another one, I'm on holiday to Austria in between so It will be 2 to 3 weeks at least.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyO For This Useful Post:

ian (02-09-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyO View Post
    Ian, if you don't mind waiting a few weeks I kept the template somewhere so I will dig it out and make another one, I'm on holiday to Austria in between so It will be 2 to 3 weeks at least.
    same here m8, i have one aswell in the back garden and need a new lnb collar. i am of course willing to send you some cash to say thanks if you can sort one for me,regards mdt

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mdt For This Useful Post:

manic01 (02-09-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pibip98 View Post
    I didn't have a particularly safe position in which to fit the Inverto but with a bit of pushing it slid in. Don't think the clip closed with a "click" let's say but it's reasonably secure.
    I will try and find a similar sized lnb to the old universal but I think I will probably have to call a professional out as am at the limits of my understanding and ability. Thanks for the input but it's not something I am capable of doing, bit of a thickie with a lot of stuff sadly. Cheers
    Can I ask if your original lnb was a C120 type which had a feed horn bolted to the front of it or was it just a single piece lnb ?

This is a C120 lnb.
    Sorry its not a great photo.

20140625_133144.jpg

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    My original was a C120 with a long narrow 24mm feed neck, the lnb had a separate poloriser which was normal before voltage switching became standard.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyO For This Useful Post:

ian (03-09-2014), manic01 (03-09-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyO View Post
    My original was a C120 with a long narrow 24mm feed neck, the lnb had a separate poloriser which was normal before voltage switching became standard.
    Like this one I had from way back when.

20140701_092925.jpg

What I have now is a Channell Master feedhorn attached to an Invacom 0.3 universal lnb as in the photo on my original post.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Universal.jpg Thanks for your input, it was a single piece LNB. Hope the photo attaches