Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! It was going so well

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    doesnt look like you read my previous post

thor is on 0.8w and there is absolutely no reason why you would align it on 8 degrees , west or east , here in the uk , as there is no place that is 8 degrees here in the uk !!

it ranges from typically 4 west to about 2 east at most

leeds has the following (from dishpointer)

Latitude: 53.7961° which is approx 53.8 N
    Longitude: -1.5497° which is approx 1.5 W

so there is no way that thor will be on 8 degrees in either direction , in your case its approx 0.7 degrees east of you as its at 0.8w which is slightly east of your position

8 west puts you in Cork in Eire, 8 east puts you in Esbjerg in Denmark, so nowhere near Leeds !!

another point here is to decide if you are using usals or diseqc v1.2 on your box and motor

assuming you are using usals, put in the coordinates I gave you for leeds and save it on your box, having put in a channel list from somebody else on here , no scanning at all required

now choose thor and one of the free channels like bbc world and the dish and motor should move to where it thinks thor is subject to your location (close to zero but not quite)

if you do not get bbc world news at this point , your dish and motor are not aligned correctly so you need to smack the idiot who installed it , or blame the wind for moving the assembly (like mine was)

once you get bbc world news on thor, try fta channels on 30w and 42e , 5w , 13e , 19e and 39e to ensure its tracking the arc correctly

note:- no scanning was done for this, as you are merely checking the arc the motor works with, using fta channels

I believe that GOTO ZERO only works under diseqc v1.2 , not usals

lastly, a bad workman always blames his tools, therefore you are doing everything correctly so yes the box , motor and lnb + dish and coax cable are all jiggered !! well being new they would be wouldnt they

but hey-ho , thats life, as human beings we do nothing wrong so its always faulty kit !!!
    Firstly apologies - duff info - meant to say .8 degrees (missed the dot out).

Oh and as an IT manager with over 25 years experience currently managing over 200 servers and 9000 networked PC's I do know how to thing logically and when to blame human incompetence (which I have alluded to in my post) or something mechanical (or o/s based). My suggestion of a hardware issue is born out of reading stuff on the A*sat site where a lot of people were reporting issues when trying to manually move the motor with the buttons on it only to find it didn't work.

Thanks
    so was the installation done professionally ? or by yourself

if by yourself, did you follow the dish installation procedures listed in our dish forum ?

if so, put in a channel list from here and set it to usals and select thor 0.8w and bbc world news and check it goes to close to zero on the motor and picks up that channel, also checking some other fta channels on 0.8w like the music channel too (to ensure its actually on thor)

if its not picking up thor from your leeds coordinates , then you are not aligned properly and this should be rectified on the actual motor and dish

once this is all showing correctly you should then check the arc is correct by testing fta channels on the known satellite positions, similar to those I mentioned earlier (methodical testing like in your technical profession - making sure all the basics are in place)

you should be able to step through the sats and fta channels and your motor will move (but being in leeds the actual motor readings will NEVER match the actual satellite being pointed at because your true south (zero marker) is actually pointing at 1.55 west)

anyone who deals with all that tech should find this task a relative walk in the park (to be blunt)

its just a case of setting the dish and motor alignment to track the arc
    setting the usals for leeds (in your case)
    then using a channel list that does not overload the maximum transponder and channel limits (which are very limited on your 6000)

in the current case of checking your system out , NO SCANNING should be attempted !!!

this is just the same as working out if one of your local terminals is getting a lan ip address and you are pinging back and forth, it would be pointless checking if it can access the net until you establish it has a working local lan address

ps:- reading back through this thread you missed the dot out on all the other posts too , so it seems that maybe 315 degrees was really 31.5 degrees ? (but we dont know if that was west or east because you never said)

as you know about lan ip addresses from your job, you would know that the dot is important when stating your local terminal is on 192.168.1.215

lastly, it should not be going to 0.8w for thor as you are not on the greenwich meridian !!

thor is 0.8 west of greenwich, but is 0.7 east of leeds

Thanks
    Cheers echelon. Your patience is appreciated. Will give this a try this evening (working at the moment).

Will download a channel list for the 6000 that has Thor included.

Talking of IP addressing I can't get wireless to work on 6000 either (wired works but won't allow me to input a static IP and googles DNS server). I can see the SSID of my network but it won't connect. I suspected wep / wap aes security issues so tried to add the SSID manually and select the correct security protocol but to no avail. Not a big issue at the moment as I am homeplugging.

I did notice that if I try to manually assign an IP there are loads of greyed out fields that relate to Chinese telecoms stuff. Are these a red herring or can they be changed somewhere. I also have a wireless repeater and operate on several wireless channels (just to hack the neighbours off lol) to get around a signal issue in part of my house but the signal where the receiver is is fine (despite an RSJ and Kingspan thermal insulation which can play havoc with wireless).

Thanks
    unfortunately I do not have your 6000 nor do I have the supreme intelligent dark motor either, so experience of some answers elude me in this thread, including the wifi aspect as none of my boxes have wifi access (just tablets, mobile smartphones, laptops etc)

I am sure there are members on here that do have this equipment and could answer your questions, but I would prefer that you use one thread for each "fault" or "topic" so that the main issues in this one do not get sidetracked, I am sure in your profession you prefer to have separate fault dockets for each topic instead of one 10 page do***ent that lists numerous issues and none ever get fixed

in my case I have the spiderbox 7000 on a superior dark motor , normally used in usals mode , with fta channels set at each and every sat position right at the top of each sat list and I always check fta channels before any others are checked, ensuring that my dish is pointed at the correct satellite and receiving unique fta channels only available on that position , like THE MUSIC CHANNEL on 0.8w thor for example, possibly a german fta channel like arte on 19e , c4HD on 28.2e etc , so ones that are obvious and instantly recognisable which instantly tell me if I am where I think I should be, signal strength and quality etc

I have also then switched from usals to diseqc v1.2 mode and peaked the same channel in diseqc mode on the motor, then stored it into the motor memory too , so I can use diseqc mode or usals mode to check dish and motor alignment

when I set up my motor, I ensured that my zero marker pointed at true south by aligning it in usals mode , selecting 0.8w and 5w and splitting the difference as my zero is about halfway between them, using fta channels as I said earlier , then testing the arc from 30w to 42e using fta channels (from a pre-made list)

I also still own an old tm1500 box that I can use for double checking the above , in usals and diseqc mode , but my spider 7000 is brilliant at doing this task so rarely use the tm now

if I had a 6000 and your motor I could tell you more about what you see, but I dont have them, so can only tell you what 13 years of experience tells me, having setup several motors and dozens of boxes in that time span

the basics however, never change , same as on your lan at work , the equipment may change, but lan ip addressing etc and basic internet access , host ip addresses etc never do, no matter what the os is , this is similar in design and performance , ie:- if a terminal has no lan ip its definitely not getting google , and if the terminal wont boot, it wont get a lan ip or google , so you troubleshoot the system by substitution and checking what does work and why it works, compared to the one with the fault docket

good luck

Thanks
    once again many thanks for your reply echelon.

Can I clear one thing up. the excellent setup guide for the 6000 found on here states 'select ‘Diseq/Usals’, OK, Scroll down to Mode, select Drive to Satellite''' etc. i am right in thinking that The 'Drive to satellite' which is 'Go to satellite' on my receivers menu is how it selects Usals isn't it. (I then put in my lat and lon).

What is the correct setting to just use Diseqc?

Thanks
    many members had difficulty in finding the usals/diseqc option in the 6000 menu so the tutorials were amended to give the exact details in locating this "elusive" setting within the spiderbox menu , I know because I copied and pasted those instructions into the aldo tutorial at the top of this forum and in the main compass tutorial in the TUTORIALS section of your spiderbox section too

so afaik the details in those tutorials is now correct

as for diseqc v1.2 , there are no settings , you have to locate and store each sat yourself , with no help from the "audience" or "friend" , even Chris cannot help you on that score , lol

the diseqc v1.2 method is old and laborious which is why the USALS method was born , in order to simplify matters (I have used both methods over 13 years but when I started diseqc v1.2 was the most common method used as very few people had usals motors back then)

usals relies on your motor and dish being aligned correctly for your location, then all you do is input your latitude and longitude and that tells the motor your position on the planet (like GPS) and the satellites are selected and are worked out according to that "base station" , same as finding how to get to london from leeds on a tomtom, it knows where you are and the map tells it where london is. In this case no satellites are "found" or stored as its using your GPS location as a base and finds all the sats relative to that base

File Guy
    Thanks
    @heyho
    Agree with echelon just use Usals its all auto and far easier.

Spiderbox 6000HD Wireless setup.

Menu, Multimedia, Network settings, Right or Left arrow on remote to select Wireless Network, Down arrow to set Wi Fi IP to AUTO, Up arrow to Settings and press OK.
    This will show local routers, scroll to your Router and press OK.
    This will bring up the type box, type in your correct password in the correct case and move over and ok on the Disc icon to save, THEN WAIT until a (true) appears by the side of your Router name, then press exit which will show your IP Address and Wi-Fi Quality, exit back out of menu’s.
    To work the Wi-Fi IP in Manual mode you will have the option to Enter the IP Address, Netmask, Gateway and DNS.
    jb
    Admin or Mod can add to main Spiderbox 6000hd Sticky if needed
    Last edited by jbvid; 30-12-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks
    https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...iderbox-6000HD has the usals/diseqc instructions under satellite setup (which was also given in page 1 of this thread by him too, in post #10)

Satellite Setup

Go to Menu / Sat Settings, scroll down the left hand list and click OK to select all the Sats you want to scan, this will give them a tick.
    Right arrow across, scroll down to Motor, right arrow to select ‘Diseq/Usals’, OK, Scroll down to Mode, select Drive to Satellite, scroll down to Set Location, OK, Scroll down Set Long then Lat then save

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jbvid View Post
    @heyho
    Agree with echelon just use Usals its all auto and far easier.

Spiderbox 6000HD Wireless setup.

Menu, Multimedia, Network settings, Right or Left arrow on remote to select Wireless Network, Down arrow to set Wi Fi IP to AUTO, Up arrow to Settings and press OK.
    This will show local routers, scroll to your Router and press OK.
    This will bring up the type box, type in your correct password in the correct case and move over and ok on the Disc icon to save, THEN WAIT until a (true) appears by the side of your Router name, then press exit which will show your IP Address and Wi-Fi Quality, exit back out of menu’s.
    jb
    Cheers jbvid. As echelon has said I don't want to ****** this post with another topic. But I think the issue might be to do with connection because of the wireless security im using. I've got 'N' rated devices I connect so have to use WPA2 Personal and AES. Might prove my point and drop it to G only and see what happens to the Spiderbox connection. Will post my results in another thread.

Thanks
    had the same trouble with mine years ago,changed the motor and was ok so changed cable and was ok on dark motor.so seems d motor needs higher capacity cable to be reliable

Thanks
    Correct me if I am wrong (& I know someone will :hurray but didnt the set up menus change after the 'select ‘Diseq/Usals’, OK,with the lastest patch ? I seem to remember that after loading the last patch they were different & It took me a while to work out how to input & save my long & lat this time. Now I cant remember what I did exactly (which doesnt help much) but If its now different from the sticky, then perhaps thats whats causing some confusion here ? Just a thought.............

Quote Originally Posted by heyho View Post
    once again many thanks for your reply echelon.

Can I clear one thing up. the excellent setup guide for the 6000 found on here states 'select ‘Diseq/Usals’, OK, Scroll down to Mode, select Drive to Satellite''' etc. i am right in thinking that The 'Drive to satellite' which is 'Go to satellite' on my receivers menu is how it selects Usals isn't it. (I then put in my lat and lon).

What is the correct setting to just use Diseqc?

Thanks
    so is this motor/usals/diseqc problem sorted yet ?

(I can see you have worked on the networking by reading your new and informative networking thread)

File Guy
    Thanks
    so is this motor/usals/diseqc problem sorted yet ?

(I can see you have worked on the networking by reading your new and informative networking thread)
    Hi
    Yes the Sticky is correct and works fine 'Drive to Satellite/Go to Satellite' pretty self explaining what that means, I would close the thread now.
    jb

Thanks
    thanks, but what I meant was, has the OP sorted his problems out ?

File Guy
    Thanks
    thanks, but what I meant was, has the OP sorted his problems out ?
    Ahh ok, will await heyho's reply.
    jb

Thanks
    Sorry for the delay. To avoid divorce proceedings I have had to put a halt on this. And when I was playing yesterday I managed to trip and fall on my head lol

I decided to resite the dish and ensure it was level. Got Thor (including BBC World) working fine. Did a scan and got 1500 channels. All looked hunky dorey.

Downloaded a channel list and made sure it was correctly set up for Usals but it couldn't find any of the other satellites. Did play around with the positioning and found that I could get several Astra plus a Eutelsat but not Thor!!!!. Noticed echelons advice regarding testing the arc.

So a question please - I can get a good strength/quality on Thor when the transponder is set to 11862/28000/H. Should I also be getting a signal at all the other transponder settings for the particular satellite.

If I get a good 'fix' on Thor and then try another satellite such as Hotbird do I need to be selecting a particular transponder?

Also the dish has a scale on it was well. What should that be. The actual motor is set to 36 for the latitude

Also has anyone got the 6000HD hooked up with a Dark Motor and is using USALS successfully?

Thanks
    your latitude should be set to your current latitude of about 53.8 n , not 36 , the dish will then be at something like 27 degrees but can be between 20 and 30

I believe I gave you the latitude and longitude back in this thread some time ago, so your dish should match your usals with thor about 1 to 1.5 degrees east of zero on the motor

once you obtain thor, you will receive (but not necessarily decode) any and all active transponders that can be received for your location (on a beam that we can get here in the uk, seeing as its not aimed at us so we are on its edges , not in its main focus)

once the arc is correct you will be able to obtain any active transponders available to us in the uk from the other positions, especially strong ones like 13e and 19e and 28e , also 39e and 42e and 30w too , plus many others as well to a lesser degree

you will also find that myself and DOG MAN had quite a discussion about that scale on the motor, compared to the booklet, the booklet incorrectly named it from what I remember but you are welcome to check his thread about it, probably in the dish forum here ?

it is quite clear to me that you have not read it judging from your last post, so here it is

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...dish-and-motor

your dish will be near vertical when its on thor , looking at it from the side position, not tilted forward or backward

Thanks
    So I braved the rain and went and set the motor latitude at 53 and the actual dish setting at 28 (that gave me a fix on Thor).

Loaded a channel list and select BBC world news off Thor. Result. Went to Hotbird and picked a free to air channel - broadcast fine.

Then went to Astra 28.2 - no signal. SO I went back to BBC World News on Thor - NO SIGNAL!!!! None on Hotbird either

All my setting are correct for USALS.

Frustrated me - VERY!!!! lol

Thanks
    at least your motor and dish settings seem more accurate now , given you are using settings that seem correct and very similar to those dog-man used when he was frustrated with his ( cant believe you went out in this appalling weather though !! lol )

Thanks
    HeyhoI have ben reading your posts and everyone else's who are trying to helpand I am still not sure what is wrong so I suggest you do a factory reset making sure you have everything switched off that should be off, you will find where you are at with Google world /find your address,look at bottom of google map and you will see your co-ordinates put those co-ordinates into Stb,there are several Sats in the box as derfault and are checked,under Satelite settings go to 28.2 when you pass the Satelite you will see the signals nudge for the best reception then go back one page and press the scan button after which you must save (important if you dont save the chanells you will go back to 28 .2 and see nothing ) next go to 19.2 ( app nine steps by west button will have you near) and follow same procedure,do th4e same with all the Sats you require making sure you dont go over 6000.When you have all this done then have your coffee and say well done Heyho,I hope this mini guide will help you,regards Knacker

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast