Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! It was going so well

Thanks

Help! It was going so well

So I sat down yesterday and went through the excellent setup guides on this site. And I got a result pretty much straight away - KU-Hotbird found and channels added. Nice. So then I decided on following the instructions and choosing several satellites. Then I went for a coffee as instructed - well it was a tea actually, maybe that is what I did wrong. When I come back I had noticed that the dish had moved quite a bit but no channels were found.

After trying to just find Hotbird again and nothing coming back I tried a factory reset but still no good. The dish is still in this new position and I can't get it back to zero (it's a ***** Supreme Intelligence Dark motor).

Can anyone give me any advice please.

Like I say I did have Hotbird channels but now I can't get anything and it appears that the dish has found its new position (shows around 315 on the motors LCD display) but I can't reset it.

File Guy
    Thanks
    Hi
    Are you using Diseq or Usals to set the dish up? Also the Spiderbox model please. Usals is easy with the Dark motor.
    jb
    Last edited by jbvid; 27-12-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks
    I thought I had tried Usals - i.e. selected 'go to satellite' option and input my lat and long a sthere isn't an actual Usals options on that box.

It's Spiderbox 6000

File Guy
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by heyho View Post
    I thought I had tried Usals - i.e. selected 'go to satellite' option and input my lat and long a sthere isn't an actual Usals options on that box.

It's Spiderbox 6000
    Re-read the Satellite setup section in the Guide, print it out and follow it. The Motor option has DiseqC1.2/USALS when selected from None.
    https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...iderbox-6000HD
    Last edited by jbvid; 27-12-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jbvid View Post
    Re-read the Satellite setup section in the Guide, print it out and follow it. The Motor option has DiseqC1.2/USALS when selected from None.
    https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...iderbox-6000HD
    will do

Banned
    Thanks
    Like I say I did have Hotbird channels but now I can't get anything and it appears that the dish has found its new position (shows around 315 on the motors LCD display) but I can't reset it.
    Just on this point did you try sending the dish to zero in the sat settings/ motor/ mode and select zero . Then check dish is moving. This should tell your motor to go to it's zero settings and synchronise the box with motor as far as I can remember lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hianta View Post
    Just on this point did you try sending the dish to zero in the sat settings/ motor/ mode and select zero . Then check dish is moving. This should tell your motor to go to it's zero settings and synchronise the box with motor as far as I can remember lol
    Yes I did try this but it didn't seem to move.

On the dark motor should I just see a little red dot flashing?

Banned
    Thanks
    Yes I did try this but it didn't seem to move.

On the dark motor should I just see a little red dot flashing?
    will leave the dark motor to someone else as I do not have one sorry. but make sure in sat settings that the motor setting does not say NONE and does say DiseqC1.2/USALS for each sat that you have put a tick on? and in that you have got the go to satellite?

Edit... Could you put your old box back on and see if it can still control the dish?

2nd Edit
    On the other point? scanning? It only has 6000 ch for storing TV and Radio So if you select the all option wile in scan mode you will fill up the memory with all the radio stations and will reach FULL well before you have scanned all sat's . At this point It will just stop? It could have reset your box but usually just keeps your scanned ch's so far. hope this help's .....
    Last edited by hianta; 27-12-2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: extra

Thanks
    Just one plonker question then. If I can (or could) get a full channel listing from KU-HOTBIRD am I correct in assuming that my dish will be aligned correctly?

Thanks
    No it will not, please read this again:

Go to Menu / Sat Settings, scroll down the left hand list and click OK to select all the Sats you want to scan, this will give them a tick.
    Right arrow across, scroll down to Motor, right arrow to select ‘Diseq/Usals’, OK, Scroll down to Mode, select Drive to Satellite, scroll down to Set Location, OK, Scroll down Set Long then Lat then save, scroll to Go ‘Save Data and run’ thats it.

Banned
    Thanks
    Just one plonker question then. If I can (or could) get a full channel listing from KU-HOTBIRD am I correct in assuming that my dish will be aligned correctly?
    Did you get control of your dish back?
    If you set your dish up you will already know Aldo's answer?
    What STB did you have before or is this a new set up?
    If you wish radio and tv for hotbird then scan ALL then change to TV ONLY for rest (You can delete ch's to make room)
    Back up your ch list with each change
    AND you are not asking plonker questions! If you don't ask you never learn! regards hi an ta

Thanks
    I thought all was fine (again!!!).

Got it setup to pickup Thor and it transmitted a load of channels.

But then once again I added several satellites including Astra and Hotbird. When I came back it had picked a few from Astra and Thor but trhe dish is now fixed toward Astra and when I try and select a Thor channel it wont move.

The channels are there but I get no signal when I try and select them

Tried just to select Thor and scan but the dish wont move to where Thor is now.

Thanks
    seems to me that if you are scanning all these satellites you keep on breaking the maximum transponder and channel limits

you need to save your list to a usb stick and see just how many of the above you have listed (both radio and tv channels)

on my 7000 you can check this using the all sats section and then check the total tv channels , flip to radio and check the total radio channels, then add together for an overall total

but the old spiderboxes like mine have a much larger maximum limit compared to a 6000

Thanks
    It doesn't make sense. I have just unselected all the sats except Thor and let it scan that. Bare in mind it picked up 100+ channels before the latest scan has just picked up 32 scrambled and that's that

I checked the LCD display on the motor and it is saying it is back at 8 degrees where it was originally.

Thanks
    thor is at 0.8 degrees west, so looks like its the wrong satellite you are scanning

Thanks
    I 'might' have a solution.

I was putting in the long and lat for Leeds (seeing as that is where the dish is). Just tried setting it to London and Thor channels sprang into life. Just doing a scan of several sats now (selected free channels) and it is picking them up from all the sats I selected

Not counting my chickens yet but it does look a lot more promising.

Obviously the recent winds must have moved Leeds. Make it cheaper getting the train now ;-)

Thanks
    it would seem that your motor is not set up correctly, or has moved , causing that issue

mine was blown wayyyyyy off course a month or so ago, needed a quick "move" back to my markings on the pole , same as barneys did, and was reported at that time in the thread about the wind causing dish and motor movement

Thanks
    Well I am getting no where fast with this install and frustrated even faster!!!!

This is what is happening:

(1) I have aligned the dish and motor (which on its LCD display shows 8 degrees) to Thor. Don't know if people have come across it but there is an app for a smartphone called satellite director which is great for aligning to any satellite you choose.

(2) On the Spiderbox 6000 I then went into satellite settings and noted a strength of 77% and quality of 57%. A scan of Thor then brought back a load of channels

(3) I then downloaded the latest 6000HD channel list from this site and uploaded it to the receiver.

(4) I then went into the satellite setting again as you need to re-input the motor information including selecting the 'go to satellite' option and input the lat and long of my area.

(5) If I do this and then select Hotbird I get a disk 'moving' message and I get good strength and quality (and I can get channels from Hotbird)

(6) BUT if I then start to select some of the other satellites such as Eutelsat and Astra I don't get anything. Then when I try and select Hotbird again I don't get any reception of channels (and no quality). But after around 30 minutes of leaving it alone the strength goes green and you start to get quality again (around 25%).

So my thoughts:

(1) I am not meant for this Satellite game and should give it all up and sell it!!!!!
    (2) There is an issue between the Spiderbox 6000 and the motor (***** Dark motor metal). It is worth noting that goto zero does nothing and also if I got to the motor when I have reselected Hotbird (scenario 6 above) you can here a click from the motor that occurs every second.
    (3) The motor may be jiggered?

Help!!!!

Thanks
    doesnt look like you read my previous posts

thor is on 0.8w and there is absolutely no reason why you would align it on 8 degrees , west or east , here in the uk , as there is no place that is 8 degrees here in the uk !!

it ranges from typically 4 west to about 2 east at most

leeds has the following (from dishpointer)

Latitude: 53.7961° which is approx 53.8 N
    Longitude: -1.5497° which is approx 1.5 W

so there is no way that thor will be on 8 degrees in either direction , in your case its approx 0.7 degrees east of you as its at 0.8w which is slightly east of your position

8 west puts you in Cork in Eire, 8 east puts you in Esbjerg in Denmark, so nowhere near Leeds !!

another point here is to decide if you are using usals or diseqc v1.2 on your box and motor

assuming you are using usals, put in the coordinates I gave you for leeds and save it on your box, having put in a channel list from somebody else on here , no scanning at all required

now choose thor and one of the free channels like bbc world and the dish and motor should move to where it thinks thor is subject to your location (close to zero but not quite)

if you do not get bbc world news at this point , your dish and motor are not aligned correctly so you need to smack the idiot who installed it , or blame the wind for moving the assembly (like mine was)

once you get bbc world news on thor, try fta channels on 30w and 42e , 5w , 13e , 19e and 39e to ensure its tracking the arc correctly

note:- no scanning was done for this, as you are merely checking the arc the motor works with, using fta channels

I believe that GOTO ZERO only works under diseqc v1.2 , not usals

lastly, a bad workman always blames his tools, therefore you are doing everything correctly so yes the box , motor and lnb + dish and coax cable are all jiggered !! well being new they would be wouldnt they

but hey-ho , thats life, as human beings we do nothing wrong so its always faulty kit !!!

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thor is 1 degree West, or .8 degrees West, hopefully you missed out the decimal point, if not it could explain the problem.
    When using Usals you zero the motor, enter your latitude, and longitude, on your receiver, send the dish, to the satellite you want to align it to, like Thor 0.8W, then physically move the dish to get the best signal quality, from that satellite. 57% doesn't seem that great, but it depends on which frequency you're using, general location and dish size.
    Why not try using Diseqc 1.2 and manually moving your dish, using the arrow buttons, on your receivers remote, once you find the satellite, and get the strongest signal, you store it then move on to the next.
    What strenth/quality readings did you get from Hotbird, 13E?

Beaten to it by Echelon

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast