Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WiFi help required

Verified Registered User rednoddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    hianta@ Been using lines for years with no problems. When connected to internet shows number of cards, when not connected shows 0 cards. Because I have so far been unable to connect I obviously get 0 cards and IKS not connected!
    I have tested the box at home and it connects and works perfectly! However, that test was wired direct to my Lan cable and not wireless. I am beginning to think it may be the strength of the WiFi signal although it is showing excellent! I will have a better idea when I take the laptop to the boat and do a bit of experimenting!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rednoddy View Post
    hianta@ Been using lines for years with no problems. When connected to internet shows number of cards, when not connected shows 0 cards. Because I have so far been unable to connect I obviously get 0 cards and IKS not connected!
    I have tested the box at home and it connects and works perfectly! However, that test was wired direct to my Lan cable and not wireless. I am beginning to think it may be the strength of the WiFi signal although it is showing excellent! I will have a better idea when I take the laptop to the boat and do a bit of experimenting!!
    I think that your mistake is that while you have wireless network option you press yellow button 'add' which is used to add a new network .
    Now the correct is when you are in this option to press red button 'refresh' .
    Now you will see all the existing networks .
    Select the marine's pressing OK to it and then write the password .
    Be careful keyboard is by default in caps . To change it use this 'A-->a' in keyboard .
    Also do not forget to press floppy disc in keyboard to save password .
    Then wait a little until 'true' appears .
    Last edited by blackdevil; 29-11-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Thanks
    blackdevil@ Thank you. Yes I did in the early days press the yellow button but I soon realised that it just added another network. My problem appears when I am on the marine's network when I press OK it just tries to connect. I am not getting the password option! This is what is baffling me.

Banned
    Thanks
    the only thing you have not answered yet that I see as important? Is connect to youtube as this will tell you for sure if you have no connection ( WiFi is true so your connected to something?) After this you can figure out the next step? (poor or over used WiFi network? Connecting to wrong WiFi signal?)

Thanks
    hianta@ Hope to get down to boat today to try you tube. As promised will let you all how I get on.

Thanks
    Menu - Multimedia - Network Settings
    Left scroll to select Wireless
    Scroll down to :
    Wireless Network --> Settings - press OK
    Press red button 'Refresh' , all existing Networks will appear
    Select yours and press OK
    Write your password then go to the floppy disc icon to save it
    After some seconds 'true' message will appear
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (1.01 MB, 18 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (848.8 KB, 15 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (1.02 MB, 14 views)

Thanks
    Latest update! Spent 1 Hour yesterday and 2 hours today at mooring and still cannot get the box to open You tube, IKS or anything else. Whilst I now get connection? to the site WiFi at 87% strength, I believe the reason for not opening anything is that I still can't enter password!!! This is ridiculous, last evening I installed the box at home and everything worked perfectly.ie. after selecting my WiFi connection clicked OK and was presented with keyboard for password. Yet At the boat mooring when I select WiFi connection and click OK all I can get is connecting followed by true! It will not take me to keyboard for password. Why this difference in actions between home and mooring I cannot explain. I followed blackdevil's latest instructions exactly. Refresh did bring up the other Wi Fi connection on the site, but again after selecting site WiFi it just went into connecting! Just a thought, if when at home would it be possible to enter the site WiFi network name and then the password and store it, so that when I take the box back to the mooring would I get full connection?

Thanks
    Latest update! Spent 1 Hour yesterday and 2 hours today at mooring and still cannot get the box to open You tube, IKS or anything else. Whilst I now get connection? to the site WiFi at 87% strength, I believe the reason for not opening anything is that I still can't enter password!!! This is ridiculous, last evening I installed the box at home and everything worked perfectly.ie. after selecting my WiFi connection clicked OK and was presented with keyboard for password. Yet At the boat mooring when I select WiFi connection and click OK all I can get is connecting followed by true! It will not take me to keyboard for password. Why this difference in actions between home and mooring I cannot explain. I followed blackdevil's latest instructions exactly. Refresh did bring up the other Wi Fi connection on the site, but again after selecting site WiFi it just went into connecting! Just a thought, if when at home would it be possible to enter the site WiFi network name and then the password and store it, so that when I take the box back to the mooring would I get full connection?
    I doubt it as wifi connections rely on channel numbers, names and mac codes etc too , never mind different encryption types , login names and login passwords

for all we know your home network could be wep or wpa and the one near the boat could be wpa-psk2 or whatever its called

there is also the fact that the host ip address could be different and the served out ip addresses could be different too

so your home could be 192.168.1.1 and the one on the boat could be 192.168.0.1 , or 192.168.1.254

its not as if one wifi fits all

Thanks
    echelon@ You have shone a different light on the problem. As far as security is concerned I have not entered any type into the box. I do know that my home network is set at WPA2. I'm told that is secure! As for ip address, I can certainly ask the marina owner for details. Apart from this I just don't know what else I can do!

Banned
    Thanks
    rednoddy? this is a long shot but if you haven't tried it, maybe you could? Factory reset take to boat switch on then look for the WiFi signal and select the one that you want ? if it's there? ( factory reset will wipe your WiFi connections and let you see what's there and what is password controlled ) like I say long shot?

Think your way beyond this but it may interest you?
    https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...d-channel-list
    Last edited by hianta; 30-11-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: more help?

Thanks
    hianta@ Thanks, it's worth a try. I hope to find the time tomorrow to go back to the boat. Fingers crossed!!

Thanks
    hianta. Sorry to say your suggestion did not work. I've brought the box back to house and set up. Again no problem connecting to my WiFi. As soon as I click on wireless connection (Netgear router), whether OK or Connect, it shows the keyboard for password.
    So why will it not show the keyboard on the boat. This is doing my head in!!!

Thanks
    really need to know what system your netgear is using ? (probably wpa-psk)

also need to know what system is the boatyard using ? (same or not ? - if not - what ? )

clearly this is a wifi issue, nobody else seems to have had this problem so you may be the first

maybe the spiderbox can "talk" to any wifi system , or maybe not

Banned
    Thanks
    hianta. Sorry to say your suggestion did not work. I've brought the box back to house and set up. Again no problem connecting to my WiFi. As soon as I click on wireless connection (Netgear router), whether OK or Connect, it shows the keyboard for password.
    So why will it not show the keyboard on the boat. This is doing my head in!!!
    Sorry to hear that. It sounds like that its the internet connection at the boat and you should contact the supplier of that service again?
    As said in previous posts If it is not a secure WiFi then it will not ask for the password and since you said you had the laptop working on the internet at the boat maybe you could ask another boat owner and the supplier how to?
    The box usually scans for any WiFi signals and auto fills in the details so If provider cant come up with anything it would have to be " not compatible" with the boats connection? ( hope not but I now have ran out of Ideas so hope someone finds out ) good luck

Thanks
    hianta. How would I check if is secure or not? When the Site connection come up it has a red padlock against it, which indicates it requires a password! What I can't explain is why the box will not let me enter password when clicking on site connection, when on the boat, yet will allow when at home. This is obviously at the root of the problem. In case it was a power problem, I have tried both 12V and 240V connections! It has made no difference. I don't think the site owner can help me because I believe it is a receiver problem, deciding when and where it allows password entry!

Vu+UNO [ViX-3.0-558-Build CCcam MGcamd][with keys][SpiderBox HD & SD]
    Thanks
    It maybe a free wifi connection that requires a web browser login to gain internet access (similar to what premier inn offer, "30 minutes free browsing on a daily basis")

when you open your browser,
    you would be redirected to a specific web page where you can login,

without http login you would be merely connected to wifi alone without internet access.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ^^COMPASS^^ View Post
    It maybe a free wifi connection that requires a web browser login to gain internet access (similar to what premier inn offer, "30 minutes free browsing on a daily basis")

when you open your browser,
    you would be redirected to a specific web page where you can login,

without http login you would be merely connected to wifi alone without internet access.
    Would think this is the only possibility and rednoddy would have to check with supplier to find out.

Thanks
    as above, good points made, which is why I said its important to know what the boatyard is using

my point is that I do not believe its the spiderbox at fault , so not a spiderbox issue , especially as it works on the OP netgear at his house, which is probably using wpa-psk out of a number of possibilities

therefore its all down to the access system used at the boatyard, meaning its a wifi issue , and the compass post above is a good and likely scenario , such that it would probably work with a laptop or maybe even a mobile phone

its basically a problem with the encryption and access allowed by the boatyard router , which no amount of spiderbox tweaking will solve if its actually the case that the boatyard router needs "tweaking"

so the OP is going round in circles due to the fact that the spiderbox is not compatible with the boatyard router

question is ? will any other spiderbox work there ? or a dreambox ? or a vu ? or a technomate ? or any other box ? OR NOT ! ?

ps:- my netgear has the following wifi options listed

disabled
    WEP
    WPA-PSK
    WPA2-PSK
    MIXED WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK
    WPA-PSK-802.1X

Thanks
    COMPASS. Yes, you are partly right! When we, me and the boat owner first arrived, we were able to access for 30 minutes free. However, when we decided to stay, we where given a card with the password which is valid until 31 Mar 14. This enables me to connect my laptop every time I visit the site. Unfortunately it hasn't helped with the Spiderbox! God knows where we go from here!

Thanks
    COMPASS. Yes, you are partly right! When we, me and the boat owner first arrived, we were able to access for 30 minutes free. However, when we decided to stay, we where given a card with the password which is valid until 31 Mar 14. This enables me to connect my laptop every time I visit the site. Unfortunately it hasn't helped with the Spiderbox! God knows where we go from here!
    it still doesnt answer the questions as to what type of encryption is used on your netgear , or what type is used on the site

neither does it answer the question as to if its a http login page or not at the site (clearly it wont be on your netgear), as per the compass post (clearly a spiderbox isnt a http login)

so when you logged in on site with the laptop, did it open a http page that you put the password into ? or not ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast