Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WiFi help required

Verified Registered User rednoddy's Avatar
    Thanks

WiFi help required

Just spent 2 days trying to connect to Wi Fi. I have read the setup instructions re this but having no luck.
    After setting Wireless connection I click on settings and see the WiFi connection I want to connect to. when I click on it I get 2 items, Network SSID and Security. I have both WiFi reference? and password from the server. I have tried both separately in the SSID, but although the connection says true it5 does not connect.
    Could someone please point me in the right direction

V.I.P
    Thanks
    "To Setup Wired or Wireless go to Menu / Multimedia / Network Settings right scroll to select Wired or Wireless, ok, enter your wireless Password then go to the floppy disc icon in the same text window to save.
    To get extended Menu options goto Menu / Others and press 1111, this will give you 3 extra options at the bottom of the list.
    Go to ‘Network’, scroll down to IKS and press register OK, will then show Connection Status as Connected and expiry date."

what make router are you using and have you anything else connected wirelessly? how far from router? And you may have set router to restricted access? I dont have the 6000 so cant help much further.

Thanks
    Did you follow all of the instructions, as you did not mention this part:

enter your wireless Password then go to the floppy disc icon in the same text window to save.

Thanks
    I am setting up the Spiderbox for a friend on a narrowboat in a marina and using the WiFi available on site. I have setup my laptop up with no problems. However, whereas the laptop asks for both code and password, the spiderbox does not. this is why I am having so much trouble!

Thanks
    aldo. As I said I read the setup instructions/guide, and obviously followed them. Where/how does it request a password?

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rednoddy View Post
    Just spent 2 days trying to connect to Wi Fi. I have read the setup instructions re this but having no luck.
    After setting Wireless connection I click on settings and see the WiFi connection I want to connect to. when I click on it I get 2 items, Network SSID and Security. I have both WiFi reference? and password from the server. I have tried both separately in the SSID, but although the connection says true it5 does not connect.
    Could someone please point me in the right direction
    if the box has seen the connection you wish then select it. This brings up the password menu / keypad? next enter the password in small or cap letters ( as it is in the password) you change this by pressing the A / a above the floppy?

If it says true then you are connected?
    Last edited by hianta; 25-11-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks to all who have offered advice. I will be going to the boat tomorrow and will try again. I will let you all know how I got on.

Thanks
    Further to my last post. I have been back to the boat and have tried all the suggestions but still cannot connect to the local WiFi. When I get to Wireless Connection pressing OK does nothing, the only way forward is to Settings which shows the local WiFi connection, pressing OK only starts connecting eventually showing true next to local connection! However, it is NOT connected which is not surprising because I have not entered the Password. This has been the problem all along. Where/how is the password entered? It is getting very frustrating. Any ideas?

Banned
    Thanks
    Further to my last post. I have been back to the boat and have tried all the suggestions but still cannot connect to the local WiFi. When I get to Wireless Connection pressing OK does nothing, the only way forward is to Settings which shows the local WiFi connection, pressing OK only starts connecting eventually showing true next to local connection! However, it is NOT connected which is not surprising because I have not entered the Password. This has been the problem all along. Where/how is the password entered? It is getting very frustrating. Any ideas?
    If you set it up with the correct password the other day then it will connect automatic.
    you say it is not connected? have you tried youtube or IPTV in the box to see if this is working? it would tell you if you are connected to the internet?
    The other thing is it will say TRUE if the wifi connection is connected but is the wifi connected to the internet?
    just a few thoughts?

Thanks
    hianta. I have not previously inserted the password because I have not been asked to! Exactly where do I put it? I did try putting it in by adding but that just created a new local connection!! No I have not tried youtube or IPTV, I will try next time I go to the boat. The local WiFi in on 24/7.so I don't think that is the problem The problem is inserting the password, but how do I do it?

Banned
    Thanks
    hianta. I have not previously inserted the password because I have not been asked to! Exactly where do I put it? I did try putting it in by adding but that just created a new local connection!! No I have not tried youtube or IPTV, I will try next time I go to the boat. The local WiFi in on 24/7.so I don't think that is the problem The problem is inserting the password, but how do I do it?
    I don't know what the Protocol is for the providers wifi network you are trying to gain access to but I can tell you that if it say's true you have a wifi connection? Entering password has been stated but I wonder what are you connecting to? If its trying to clear channels then it could be that your provider does not open these channels or has closed or moved? (nothing is forever ) this is why you check for
    WIFI = TRUE = WIFI IS CONNECTED
    YOUTUBE OR IPTV IS WORKING = INTERNET IS WORKING
    Then check that your lines are correct? = any ch's open = lines OK

Hope this helps you ? If not or even if it does please post back and let us all know.....

Thanks
    The only possible explanation for you not being asked for a password is that you are connecting to an unsecured network, in which case the box would connect to the network without asking you for a pass. If you tried to connect to a network that is secured the box would come up with a screen where you would need to type your network key. You can easily check if its a case for you, by checking if there is a red padlock next to your wi-fi routers name. It would really be best if you tried if you can connect to you tube to see if there is a connection since the box says `true` . You can also see if you are connected if you press the EPG button
    Providing that you have one of the latest patches installed , on top of the screen (where date and time is) there would also be three icons (the first of them is for your wi-fi connection second for Lan and third for 3G)Two of them would show a prohibition sign on them and one wouldn`t . The one that isn`t, indicates the method you are connecting to the network, if all three show it it means you are not connected.
    Last edited by Roadrunner; 28-11-2013 at 02:39 AM.

Thanks
    Roadrunner, Thank you for such detailed information with all the possibilities. The next time I go to the boat I will try everything that you have suggested. When I was there yesterday I did add the new patch (26/11) so you tube is there!!
    I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks
    You welcome, hope you will get it sorted eventually. Just to clarify :the youtube was there right from the first patch, and when I said (Providing that you have one of the latest patches installed) I meant that only recently the Icons indicating your connection were introduced Looking at the youtube was just one of many ways of checking if you really are connected to network.
    Regards
    Rd

Thanks
    hianta. The only way I know its not connecting is that Cccam and IKS channels do not open. There are other boat owners who also have sat dishes and they are using WiFi bridges because they also appear with the site connection when I connect to wireless!

Banned
    Thanks
    hianta. The only way I know its not connecting is that Cccam and IKS channels do not open. There are other boat owners who also have sat dishes and they are using WiFi bridges because they also appear with the site connection when I connect to wireless!
    Then you are connecting to WiFi and after checking if you get youtube you will know if you are connecting to the internet. Which brings the problem to iks do not open that channel or an entry in Cccam is wrong?
    pm sent please check your inbox?
    Last edited by hianta; 28-11-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Thanks
    hianta. Thanks for PM. Unfortunately as a newcomer with 0nly 8 posts I was unable to reply. Am aware of IKS parameters and Cccam together with IKS was working correctly when installed at my home. When I visit the boat next time I intend to take laptop and program Vonets bridge in the hope I can connect that way! Also will be following advice from Roadrunner. Thanks for staying with me.

File Guy
    Thanks
    @rednoddy,
    Re the boat, where is your dish? I assume its fixed on land and not floating about with the boat? have you got a signal from it for IKS and CCcam?
    jb

Banned
    Thanks
    hianta. Thanks for PM. Unfortunately as a newcomer with 0nly 8 posts I was unable to reply. Am aware of IKS parameters and Cccam together with IKS was working correctly when installed at my home. When I visit the boat next time I intend to take laptop and program Vonets bridge in the hope I can connect that way! Also will be following advice from Roadrunner. Thanks for staying with me.
    As I said to you I don't use lines but just put one into the Cccam to see what was involved.
    I love this box lol It was a lot easier than I thought and only mist out two letters in the line the first time lol so entered the lot again on line 7 all working the now. (only a free line but might think about buying)
    After doing this I, like yourself just can't think of why it won't work at the boat? (your lines will still be in the box)
    All you would have to do is conect to the WiFi provider which you did.
    So after checking WiFi =" boats supplies network" Has TRUE on it .(means you are connected to that WiFi service)
    Check youtube is working. (means your box has a connectoin to the internet)
    Check Cccam menu has a green dot beside it? (means the line is correct and working?)
    Then you could enter line again on empty space if you have the internet connection?
    and of course as jbvid said check the dish on open and closed channels?
    Failing all else take it back to house and check it there again?

Thanks
    jbvid@ Dish is mounted on narrowboat. Receiving channels no problem. Trouble is IKS and Cccam not opening due to lack of connection to site WiFi!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast