Thread: Re: Latest Russell TomTom Europe/UK Maps etc software

Thanks
    on my HTC its in settings under location, and the option says

GPS satellites

Let apps use GPS to pinpoint my location

mine is enabled

thats using ICS 4.0.3

-----------------------------------

as for downloading the file, as mentioned many times on the forums here , I use freerapid downloader , highlight and copy the link, agree to accept the url to freerapid and it loads it , goes green if the link is ok and after the captcha input it downloads the file

bad links go red , usually as file is not available any more

tried the link again and its green (for go)

Thanks
    Yes I too used FreeRapid Downloader - brilliant eh?

Thanks
    Just had another thought - my 'normal' TomTom satnav device always struggles to connect to the local GPS network because I live here in North Lincs where mobile reception is always crap, be it Vodafone, O2, etc etc - so I will wait until I go to town (Doncaster or Scu*thorpe - where there's a good signal and try the installed app on my S3 there - and I feel if will then 'connect' as it wont out here at home!!
    Hope that makes sense - then it will also prove that I really HAVE been doing everything right from the very beginning (sounds like a quote from Sound of Music lol!!)

Thanks
    GPS has nothing to do with the local mobile phone network (GSM) and your tomtom is not governed by GSM either

GPS = Global Positioning System

GSM = Global System for Mobile Communications

Global for GPS meaning all over the globe which includes all of Lincolnshire

if you had googled it ( novel I know in your case ) you would find that the americans put over a dozen satellites surrounding the earth in an orbit such that a gps device "locks on" to say 4 or more satellites and then works out your position on the earth, I believe they may have done this BEFORE mobile phones were introduced, especially digital mobile phones like your S3

so your satnav uses a gps positioning system internally, locks onto the signals from 4 or more satellites and triangulates where you are on the earth and then uses maps to display this to you, some gps devices just give you the bearing like your longitude and latitude

this system works even if you are in the middle of Canada or the Atlantic ocean and nowhere near any cellphone towers !!

you can read about it using this wiki here

Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System
    and they say a little knowledge is dangerous

Code:
    he Global Positioning System (GPS) is a space-based satellite navigation system that provides location and time information in all weather conditions, 
    anywhere on or near the Earth where there is an unobstructed line of sight to four or more GPS satellites.

[1] The system provides critical capabilities to military, civil and commercial users around the world. 
    It is maintained by the United States government and is freely accessible to anyone with a GPS receiver.

The GPS project was developed in 1973 to overcome the limitations of previous navigation systems,

[2] integrating ideas from several predecessors, including a number of classified engineering design studies from the 1960s. 

GPS was created and realized by the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD)
    and was originally run with 24 satellites.
    It became fully operational in 1995

The space segment is composed of 24 to 32 satellites in medium Earth orbit

------------------------------------------------------

so a good theory but totally flawed when you realise how the GPS system works
    also the mobile phone network was an@logue back in 1995 - not digital

its like saying you get sly from your local tv transmitter , which we all know is false as it comes from satellites in geostationary orbit at 28.2e over the equator

----------------------------------

cellular mobile phone technology can be read about using this wiki

Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone
    GSM = Global System for Mobile Communications

Code:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM
    you really need to learn the difference between all these different systems and acronyms, also learn how they all apply to your different devices too
    -----------------------------------

so if your tomtom start 25 is failing to lock onto 4 or more GPS sats , and your mobile phone is doing the same, maybe its because you are indoors or have some local interference causing issues, could even be the same local interference that stops you obtaining man utd tv on 10e using biss - who knows ?

also, some of your efforts on this have involved copying files and folders to various places, whereas the actual details were

copy and paste the tomtom folder to the root of the android device OR the root of the SDcard

copy and paste the apk hack file to either the root of the android device OR to the root of the SDcard

then run the apk file using a file manager or file explorer

Thanks
    update

just put it on the root of an sdcard fitted to another HTC desire C android phone running ICS, also put it onto my lads samsung galaxy S3 MINI android phone onto his sdcard too

both work no problem

so works from sdcard on two HTC desires and a samsung S3 mini , and on my nexus 7 tablet too

that is using GPS, and not GSM or any other acronym

Thanks
    Thanks again ech, will try tomorrow as you suggest above - much appreciated AGAIN!!:respect-055:

Thanks
    As an aside and pointed towards MandRed. I struggled with the DL from IE but firefox done it no problems

Thanks
    this evening I followed the holmroad method of installing this using the micro sdcard method on my eldest lads samsung galaxy S3

removed the micro sdcard, placed in sdcard adapter and plugged into the laptop

used file explorer to copy and paste the tomtom folder and apk crack file to the root of the micro sdcard

replaced it in the S3. enabled allow third party apps in settings, used file explorer from apps to find and run the apk file

job done , worked first time , no problems at all

so yes it works fine using sdcard on an S3

V.I.P
    Thanks
    BIG THANKS ta

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    this evening I followed the holmroad method of installing this using the micro sdcard method on my eldest lads samsung galaxy S3

removed the micro sdcard, placed in sdcard adapter and plugged into the laptop

used file explorer to copy and paste the tomtom folder and apk crack file to the root of the micro sdcard

replaced it in the S3. enabled allow third party apps in settings, used file explorer from apps to find and run the apk file

job done , worked first time , no problems at all

so yes it works fine using sdcard on an S3
    This is EXACTLY what I did in the first place - well before all the posts etc on this topic echelon - the only 'slight' difference was that I dragged and dropped the Copy Folder on to the SD card in its adapter!
    So dont know if this is THAT different to 'copy & paste' mate - but in any case I've now done it that way too, having having first uninstalled/deleted all other evidence of this software off both phone AND SD card - and it STILL wont open without stating 'unable to connect, retry - or retry later' etc!
    So I'm just wondering if its worth resetting my S3 back to Factory default, just in case something on it has got corrupted (like ME lol!!)?
    I even tried copy/paste into root of phone itself too - instead of drag & drop - with identical results!
    I also re-downloaded 'Copy Folder' RAR via FreeDownloader again - it was green - seems fine!
    So honestly ech, I really feel that I have done everything right, but OBVIOUSLY 'something' is going on here - so maybe its the software in MY phone which is somehow rejecting/preventing my attempts?
    My partner also has the identical S3 - so I may try it on hers tonight when I get in from blood tests at DRI - see how THAT goes!

Thanks again though for all YOUR assistance - I know I seem to pee you off, but I really DO respect your opinions etc!

Thanks
    what pppsss me off is you dont carefully read all info (skim reading) , you ignore or gloss over things that matter if you dont understand them, you do not follow instructions to the letter, you use methods of working or bad habits (like drag and drop which can leave shortcuts to files instead of copying the files) instead of using the exact and correct methods (like copy and paste which actually copies what you have selected to the destination) , you may have copied over the "copy contents to android" folder instead of the contents themselves (tomtom folder and apk) or just copied some files leaving shortcuts to other files to your not-connected pc

then you decide its something else completely (like your local cellphone network)

so with the xp saga, the freerapid saga , the trojan remover saga , the two current technomate sagas with 10e and mutv using biss, the no dect phone saga when you clearly DO own dectphones , your lack of googling these acronyms to actually find out the correct info, your consistent badgering of russell about the maps on your tomtom start even though he has told you that his maps are not compatible and never will be so its pointless you keep asking about them , followed by him trying to help you with tomtom for android (which he now probably wishes he had not done as he feels like its sand kicked into his face for helping) - and now this current S3 saga , this is what annoys people and is like a red rag to a bull to myself m8 (never mind others like russ who only tried to do you a favour)

ie:- you have the SADIM touch with everything that you do (its the opposite of the midas touch)

the common factor with all these things is that its always you, only you, just you !!

once you get past all the guff and smoke and mirrors and finally accept that you need to take these things more seriously and then to do proper research and use the best tools for the job I really hope that we can move forward

I do realise you mean well but you are extremely exasperating to the point where all those who have tried to help you give up, myself included - which I did tell you some time ago after the XP saga

therefore, yes try it on another S3 because on your behalf I have now tried it on two nexus 7`s , an S3 like yours , an S3 MINI , and two HTC Desire C phones - all faultless on SIX devices

you also complained that your tomtom start 25 has issues in your area and incorrectly blamed the cellphone system when clearly it uses the satellite GPS system, every tomtom I have seen allows you to check signal strengths and the number of GPS satellites it can "see" as well, somewhere in the settings

so in my mind if several devices fail in your vicinity then maybe there is a problem in your vicinity , but I doubt its the GSM network

I really DO hope you find out what is causing all these issues and report back that they are all working properly, but to me at the moment all you need to do is look in the mirror and blame the person you see there

I just dont think you are cut out for all this tech m8 - sorry (a total lack of due diligence)

its like Karl Pilkington correctly noted - "we had the stone age, the iron age, and now the peeing about age" LOL

good luck (and I hope the health issues are better than your tech issues)

ps:- I actually told you to check your S3 for any android updates and implement them where necessary , so maybe it would be better to factory reset and start again, but I also think you should try this to an sdcard in another S3 (but NOT to the internal ram of the S3 on your wifes phone because you are doing no harm whilst using the sdcard in this case, even on her phone)

I would also try copilot on your S3 as that should work too - if it doesnt then there is a problem on your phone, especially if it or both work on your wifes phone

Thanks
    WOW tell like it is

V.I.P
    Thanks
    @holmroad

I was having the same error message as you "unable to connect to Tomtom" when I installed the ipk on my Iconia android device.
    I had put the Tomtom folder and the ipk file in the "Android" folder on my device.

However, I then un-installed the non-working installation and moved the tomtom folder and IPK to the root of the internal device. After re-installing the IPK it all worked fine.

I'm sure you are not putting the installation files in the correct place. On my device it had to be the root directory.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I've been playing with this and discovered there are 60mb of unwanted "voices" files. I've simply tried deleting them but then the app will not start so I had to re-install them.

Anyone know how to make space by getting rid of them? "Serena" alone does it for me

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 007.4 View Post
    I've been playing with this and discovered there are 60mb of unwanted "voices" files. I've simply tried deleting them but then the app will not start so I had to re-install them.

Anyone know how to make space by getting rid of them? "Serena" alone does it for me
    Yes mate, she's great eh?? lol!!
    Will have a close look at what both you and ech suggest and report back - thanks again for your help!
    Regards

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 007.4 View Post
    @holmroad

I was having the same error message as you "unable to connect to Tomtom" when I installed the ipk on my Iconia android device.
    I had put the Tomtom folder and the ipk file in the "Android" folder on my device.

However, I then un-installed the non-working installation and moved the tomtom folder and IPK to the root of the internal device. After re-installing the IPK it all worked fine.

I'm sure you are not putting the installation files in the correct place. On my device it had to be the root directory.
    Thanks for that mate, but I copied & pasted into the 'Phone' remote device in 'My Computer' as well as the 'Phone sd Card'- and it certainly didn't go into the 'Android' folder - which was shown separately in both the 'phone' and the 'Extsdcard' phone 'root' location, so the 'Copy Direct' folder shows as a separate entity in both the phone AND the sd card roots - well as far as I can see anyway!!

V.I.P
    Thanks
    You should not have the "copy direct" folder at all. Just the "tomtom" folder and the .apk file in the root folder of your device. If you have them still in the "copy direct" folder, they are in the wrong place.

Thanks
    been telling him that all along !! LOL

looks like I may have to go to hospital tomorrow too

to get the bad bruises on my head seen to

then I have to fix the wall when I come back where the "depressions" are :banghead:

Thanks
    Sorry nearly forgot to report back that I got BOTH S3's going ok with latest UK/Europe version as discussed in this thread - all as advised from phone 'root' - so thanks once again, despite being a pain to a certain gentleman, despite ALL, I have ALWAYS got there in the end in ALL the issues I've requested assistance in the past for from people on Pimps I truly like to think of as my friends, we aren't ALL geniuses, some of us are mere mortals after all - but either way thanks again to ALL who've helped me get there - I will now close the thread!
    Kind regards, holmroad :respect-055:

Thanks
    so human error then, not the GSM network - my exasperation knows no bounds !!!

I rest my case that I explained earlier

glad its all sorted out but a looooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngg ggg saga nevertheless and completely and totally unnecessary :beatdeadhorse5:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12