Thread: just bought a vu solo

Thanks

just bought a vu solo

hi there ,

now before i start i have looked at the rules and i cannot find anything that bans a discussion on vu solo clones, well i bought one recently from china and i have been reading what leegw saying on how to flash an image to the box, anyhow the file i downloaded from elswhere only had two files in it Vuplus/solo/ with the two files, kernel_cfe_auto and root_cfe_auto.jffs2, i put the usb into the box which was switched off at the mains then i switched the box on but it just showed a green light nothing happened etc!, i had to pull the usb out the box for the box to come on and show the openpli blue screen, there nothing in the box i had done a factory reset earlier in the afternoon, what do you think i am doing wrong. thanks

regards

Thanks
    yes you can discuss clones on here but we only give advice for the general usage and not specific to any clones, so the files and advice here are for genuine boxes

however, I suspect a couple of things, maybe you didnt include the correct folder structure on the stick meaning that maybe you just placed the files onto the root of the stick instead of following the correct procedure of using the folder structure with the 2 files in the last folder which will be named something like solo

another valid point is that on a vu it expects to be flashed by using the front usb socket, maybe you used a rear socket ?

and there is the fact that the usb stick needs to be formatted on your pc in fat32 before using it , so did you do so ?

reading the later sticky thread by hda5 at the top of this forum its mentions all of this, but also mentions using 3 files , not 2 files, so it appears that you have a boot file missing

the original tutorial by leegw also states the same 3 files , and folder structure in his original post

How to flash Vu+ Solo with USB Pen Drive

When you download a new USB image file you may find the folder names in the ZIP/RAR archive are incorrectly labeled.

So what you need to do is make a folder on your USB pen drive called vuplus

Then inside the vuplus folder you make another folder called solo

So now you should have a folder in on your PEN drive root like this

vuplus/solo

Copy the following USB Image files from the ZIP/RAR achive to the vuplus/solo folder on your PEN Drive.

boot_cfe_auto.jffs2
    kernel_cfe_auto.bin
    root_cfe_auto.jffs2

Power Off Solo
    Insert USB Pen Drive in the front USB socket.
    Power on Solo
    all box newbies should read sticky threads before posting, as clearly the info has been there for some considerable time

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    yes you can discuss clones on here but we only give advice for the general usage and not specific to any clones, so the files and advice here are for genuine boxes

however, I suspect a couple of things, maybe you didnt include the correct folder structure on the stick meaning that maybe you just placed the files onto the root of the stick instead of following the correct procedure of using the folder structure with the 2 files in the last folder which will be named something like solo

another valid point is that on a vu it expects to be flashed by using the front usb socket, maybe you used a rear socket ?

and there is the fact that the usb stick needs to be formatted on your pc in fat32 before using it , so did you do so ?

reading the later sticky thread by hda5 at the top of this forum its mentions all of this, but also mentions using 3 files , not 2 files, so it appears that you have a boot file missing

the original tutorial by leegw also states the same 3 files , and folder structure in his original post

all box newbies should read sticky threads before posting, as clearly the info has been there for some considerable time

well i put the blackhole image on the box successfully , although the usb was already a fat32 i decided to reformat it again and copy the procedure by leegw, but the one thing which was different in the folder vu plus/vu solo was the files, there was only two of them kernel cfe auto and root cfe auto jffs2 but anyhow the box finished with green light flashing which was a relief,i was a bit edgy about doing it , thanks to lee for the simple and plain manner of describing the procedure, now that i have finished that i will turn the box off for a few days and relax and just mess around with the spider9000 and the technomate5402 and finish doing the solo maybe next week.