Thread: Which box

Thanks

Which box

Hi all
    I got myself a dm500s clone to get started with and this has been fine for learning with and getting started. Now i am up and running I would like some information about receivers so that I can record a programme and watch another. Is this just as easy as the receiver having a hard drive and does it need multiple tuners or am I way off
    The help I've had so far on here has been fantastic that's why I'm back again

Cheers in advance

Thanks
    you need a twin tuner box and preferably with provision for an internal sata hdd, so similar to sly plus

a vu duo or vu solo2 are just 2 of these types of boxes, bearing in mind the solo2 is newer and can only accept a 2.5 inch internal sata hdd

Thanks
    Thanks again echelon - will take a look at the vu duo I think

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ntommo View Post
    Thanks again echelon - will take a look at the vu duo I think
    Good box,i have a DUO myself..

East of Ipswich. TM9100 on 1.2m CM Spiderbox on 1.8m CM. HD linux next
    Thanks
    Do not forget you will need a twin LNB. and another cable out to the dish.
    You will only be able to record on same sat as well.
    If you can put in a solid state HD I have found them much better and are getting a lot cheaper now, as well as a lot quicker and no spin up time.

Thanks
    Didn't realise about the twin LNB and another cable - just thought I could do it with the setup I have now i.e. Sly dish with cables taken from sly box into back of my DM500s

Thanks
    Didn't realise about the twin LNB and another cable - just thought I could do it with the setup I have now i.e. Sly dish with cables taken from sly box into back of my DM500s
    you can use one feed, and this limits the second tuner due to the loop through

generally speaking , it means you cannot watch one channel whilst recording another, unless they are both on the same transponder

so yes you can use a twin tuner box in single tuner mode, or with limited functionality on the 2nd tuner,

but the ideal scenario is a quad lnb , and a twin feed shotgun cable to the twin tuner box, which is exactly the same scenario as sly use on their sly plus HD box, so its exactly the same setup and is the usual reason why somebody would buy a twin tuner receiver

Thanks
    Hi,

You can also have a look at Xtrend, I have an X-Trend ET-9000 and I am really happy with it. They follow Linux kernel evolution closer than VU+ does.

Pr2

Thanks
    Cheers will have a look

Banned
    Thanks
    You can get a DM800HD SE clone for about £130 with 3 tuners but to be pefectly honest it's OK if you are happy with 2 year old patched images that are pretty hit and miss. Sad to say the DM's (real & clone) have had their day. Indeed it has gotten to the stage where the clones are now better suported and in some cases better built than the originals.

An older Duo can be had for a similar price and the advantages are well published on this forum and elsewhere. Korea is taking over the world!

If price is no option then I know where my money would be going. Duo 2 (for me) when it is finally released or if you can't wait then as already recommended here, the VU+ UNO with dual tuner option or the VU+ Solo2 which also comes with dual tuners. IMHO either is well worth the extra £100 or so but I'd be going for the Solo2 because it's the latest release and it has the fastest processor in any STB on any known planet in the whole Universe!
    Last edited by donki; 28-05-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks
    Do any of these boxes have the pause/fast forward/rewind facilities on them

Banned
    Thanks
    All of them have the means to do this in some form or other yes.

Thanks
    well my spiderbox is broken so its a spiderbox 6000 a solo 2 hd box or the new duo2 hd box when it comes out what do u guy recomend then

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pr2 View Post
    Hi,

You can also have a look at Xtrend, I have an X-Trend ET-9000 and I am really happy with it. They follow Linux kernel evolution closer than VU+ does.

Pr2
    i can vouch for that! i have the 9200 (silverline edition - they fixed the 30000 SR issue on tuner B) its only today that ive realised that blind scan actually works, but only on tuner A)
    ive been blind searching all day and really happy with it
    ive had it two years!!! lol

Thanks
    the xtrend has really fast ff and rewind, i was dubious too about this function - but it really does work when u buy a quality box (i.e not a Icecrypt!)