Thread: AZBox HD - Booting problem when loading OpenRSI 2.1 (from 3.0)- solved

In the beeches
    Thanks

AZBox HD - Booting problem when loading OpenRSI 2.1 (from 3.0)- solved

I tried to load OpenRSI 2.1 onto an AZBox HD that previously had OpenRSI 3.0 loaded, and got the stuck in booting problem. With the help of information previously posted here I fixed the problem. I thought it would be useful to post this summary of what happened.

Background: Tried various enigma2 images in past but only recently tried OpenRSI3.0 for the first time. I used AZUp 2.2.7 – it loads kernel 3.4.4, then OpenRSI 3.0 – all went ok. But there were serious problems – it often would not start from stand by. So I decided to try OpenRSI 2.1.

Comment: I have read that OpenRSI 3.0 is ok for the later AZBox versions like HD+, Elite, Ultra, etc – but that it does not work well with the original AZBox Premium HD. A possible solution for the HD is to use the plain skin, but that is too limiting for me. If anyone has success with OpenRSI 3.0 on an original AZBox HD please post details.

Loading OpenRSI 2.1 over OpenRSI 3.0 (this caused the booting problem): I used AZUp 2.1.6 to load kernel 2.6. The log said “Copying kernel” & “Done, Rebooting...“. At this point the VFD was showing booting. AZUp 2.1.6 would not let me load OpenRSI 2.1. After a power off/on all I got was booting showing on the VFD, pressing the vol+ key did not work.

Fixing Booting Problem: This post - https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...uck-in-booting – has all the information & files needed. Thanks must go to all the previous posters and contributions. You need a USB TTL UART bridge – just search online. I paid £3.19 – it was delivered in two days from a UK supplier. If you can wait for delivery, you can get an identical version from HK/China for £1.59 incl P&P. The version I got had a very short four lead cable connector with individual connectors that fit the YAMON interface in the AZBox. But you also need a USB extension cable from your PC. Or you could make up your own UART Bridge to AZBox connector from old 4 pin computer cables.

TIP: The info says the connections are TXD>RXD & RXD>TXD. That did not work with my UART bridge - TXD>TXD & RXD>RXD worked for me.

TIP: It will help to set up log file recording in PuTTY to see what is happening afterwards – something I did not do.

The instructions are complicated but do explain every step in great detail. First I got nothing on the PuTTY screen – reversing the TXD & RXD connections solved that. At the point that you get the AZBox login prompt the instructions say the password is “azbox”. That did not work for me – I had to put in the password I had set up myself. I can’t see any way round this if you set up a password in that past and have forgotten it. The instructions are confusing when talking about the various IPs you need – initial AZBox IP, PC IP and final AZBox IP – it’s worth going through the pages carefully in advance, understanding when to use each IP.

The final problem I had is that after entering “./update /MMP/backup_kernel” nothing happened. Apparently this was due to kernel differences from the Kernel that the original instructions were written for. I had to enter the command setxenv y.start "xrpc 0xac080090; load zbf 0xb3000000; go" after the ./update command. Then it worked after a power off/on.

The next step is to load any version of the original firmware which you put onto a USB stick with the name patch.bin. That takes about 10 minutes. If nothing happens try again. Put the USB stick with patch.bin in the USB slot before doing the power off/on. I then had a working AZBox HD with original firmware

I then loaded an old e2 image following the old instructions for loading an e2 image over original firmware. Next I loaded OpenRSI 2.1 using AZUp 2.1.6 after putting the box in recovery mode (power up with vol+ pressed).

Conclusions with OpenRSI 2.1: it solved all the major problems I got with OpenRSI 3.0. No problem with restarts from standby, can get Scart & AF output, can record and play recordings. Media Player does not work, but recordings can be played from the AUX key menu. Still get silly faults on recordings, but it’s a usable box and better than any other e2 image I’ve tried.

I would welcome any comments on this post. Anyone with a box stuck in booting and wants to try to the USB UART solution should give it a try. I will help if I can.

Also, how do you convert from OpenRSI 3.0 without getting the booting problem – any ideas?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Burnham For This Useful Post:

Dig Deep (17-05-2013)

Thanks
    20130815_023511xx.jpg

Thanks must go to you also ... Burnham, for the professional report and great information that you provide.
    I have the same problem after I update my AZBox form official firmware to OpenRSI 3.0.

I haven’t USB TTL UART Bridge in my city so I have to order it via internet. Till it arrives, I have cable RS232 for some kind of receiver (I don’t know its name) see attached pic. I ‘m not sure it will work or not.
    Do you have an idea how I can utilize it for my AZbox?

In the beeches
    Thanks
    I think you need to wait for the UART bridge to arrive. There is a lot of information regarding how the UART bridge is used to fix the problem with the AZBox booting problem.

I have no idea if your simple RS232 cable would work or not.

Thanks
    Ive repaired mine twice using the guide on this forum I remember having to use pumpkin ftp software for part of it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnham View Post
    I think you need to wait for the UART bridge to arrive. There is a lot of information regarding how the UART bridge is used to fix the problem with the AZBox booting problem.

I have no idea if your simple RS232 cable would work or not.
    The AZBOX motherboard pinout is a COM port but is NOT at the same internationally specified voltage levels as a standard PC COM port which are normally given as RS232C levels. The AZBOX has the same RXD (Receive DATA),TXD (Transmit DATA) and GND (Ground) pins labels as a RS232C COM port but instead the voltage levels on the motherboard pins are at Transistor To Transistor Levels (TTL) levels. They are NOT the same. The USB or normal COM Port cables between the PC and the AZBOX therefore has to convert the transmit and receive data levels from RS232C levels (in the case of the standard PC COM port cables) to TTL levels and, usually, you can use a commonly available MAX232 IC chip mounted in the cable connector casing to do that conversion for both TXD and RXD voltage levels. RS232C or USB voltage levels to TTL. PLEASE NOTE:- THE PINS ON THE CONNECTOR TO THE AZBOX CABLE MUST BE REVERSED AND THE CABLE RXD PIN ON THE CABLE MUST CONNECT TO THE AZBOX MOTHERBOARD TXD PIN. SIMILARLY, THE AZBOX MOTHERBOARD RXD PIN MUST CONNECT TO THE CABLE'S TXD WIRE OR CONNECTOR PIN. Some, but not all, commercial COM Port or USB cables will already come with that cable crossover already done for you but if the AZBOX and your cable ain't talkin' to each other is because the TXD Transmit data pin is trying to be heard by transmitting to the AZBOX's TXD data pin and also vice versa for the RXD pins. Both are yelling data at each other but on the wrong pins and are not hearing or receiving each other's data...THE GROUND CONNECTION IS CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO THE GROUND (GND) ON THE CABLE AND THE MOTHERBOARD AND NO CHANGE IS NECESSARY ON THAT WIRE OR PIN. Just undo the cable pins on the AZBOX END of the cable and swap 'em over if they ain't listening to each other. You'll need a low wattage soldering iron, quality resin core solder, and a small pair of electronics pliers as tools to do that. About 10 minutes work.

Hope it helps.... Kia Ora from New Zealand (a New Zealand Maori hello greeting)
    Robert, ZL2ROB.

In the beeches
    Thanks
    Thanks for the post. Always good to have more technical expertise in the forum.

Might be an idea to post an introduction in the intro section so we can see your involvement in satellite world. You know the kind of stuff, what equipment you have and how you use it. I know a lot of our European chitchat will be irrelevant to you, but our hardware must be similar.