Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you initialize a USB HDD in HDMU E2?

Thanks

How do you initialize a USB HDD in HDMU E2?

Hi folks, I've been running the latest HDMU E2 image on my S3600 for a while now and all is well although I still have one problem that I hope someone can help me with. I have a 500GB Toshiba USB HDD (unpowered) plugged into my box. Previously it was working perfectly well on the original Icecrypt firmware so we could timeshift & record etc. When I first went to E2 I formatted it to FAT32 and it worked a treat. That image then seemed to become unstable so I then loaded the newest version. For whatever reason now the box does not recognise that there is even a hard drive there. I have made a movie file in the HDD directory but that made no difference. Can anybody point me in the right direction please? I have no knowlege of telnet or linux I'm afraid.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    no idea on an icecrypt but in an E2 image on a dreambox or on a vu you have to mount the drive using one of the menus (varies according to image) and you may have to format it to EXT as well

so if we assume your E2 image follows the same path then the drive needs mounting and formatting on the icecrypt itself using ext2 or possibly ext3 which are linux formats as opposed to fat32 and ntfs which are windows formats

on the linux boxes its either in the menu system , or under the blue button under blue extra settings

3. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

buck401 (01-04-2013)

Thanks
    Hi Echelon, I would have thought that would be the correct course of action also. Unfortunately that particular function on the HDMU image doesn't work according to the Octagon forum. I have requested that they include something to change this in the next update. Trouble is at the moment we cant us the hard drive at all. Shame really as this is the best working image that boots straight from USB.

Thanks
    in that case can you not format the drive on your pc using the free tool easeUS partitioning tool and use ext3 ?

then try it in the icecrypt

Thanks
    Can the files then be recognised on & used by Windows? Will search forfor easeUS.Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Armpit1UK View Post
    Can the files then be recognised on & used by Windows? Will search forfor easeUS.Thanks.
    windows cannot access an ext3 formatted drive , so no

what you would be better off doing is exactly the same as on a linux box and ftp them from the ice to your pc or laptop

8. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Armpit1UK (02-04-2013)

Thanks
    If you fancy a different way try this:

Use putty to make a telnet connection to your box with {user - root / password - HDMU}

now type:

mkfs.ext3 -L RECORD /dev/sda1
    cd /autofs/sda1
    mkdir movie

Then reboot the box.

Have fun...

Thanks
    I've formatted the hdd to ext3 and it still won't initialize! I've also tried the telnet way and it tells me that "dev/sda1 is apparently in use by the system;will not make a filesystem here!" Is it because I'm running E2 from a USB stick in the front USB slot? Do I need to change something?

Thanks
    Don't use the initialize function in HDMU - Doesn't work.

In telnet type:
    fdisk -l

This will let you identify your drives and mount point names (sda1 sba1 etc etc ).

Then use your HDD's mount point name (as found above), instead of sda1 in my previous post.

Then reboot the box, press play, at the bottom left of the screen it should display the size of your HDD correctly. Thats it.

If you have issues (shouldn't), use the record paths menu to set up as needed.

Thanks
    Tried all the above and it's still not quite right but the box is recognising sdb1 now. Still won't time shift or record even though I've altered the recording paths. Will try again another day.

Thanks
    HDMU have a HDD Manager plugin.

Install like this:

Extract file then FTP over the folder called hddmanager to:

user/lib/enigma2/python/plugins/extensions

Then reboot,

This tool is for the SH4 box's and will allow HDMU to auto mount HDD's and handles SWAP files well as well, I don't need to use it on my S4000 but might be of help.

I use Filezilla as a FTP client, just double check its going to the right place (don't want a bricked box).

Hope it helps

PS. Let me know is it works on other box's and I'll stick it in the plugin's section for E2.
    Attached Files Attached Files

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatboy7 For This Useful Post:

Armpit1UK (07-04-2013), echelon (07-04-2013), FFTA (29-07-2013)

Thanks
    I'll give that a go,& report back. Cheers for your help.

Thanks
    It seems to have solved that problem but then has created another! It has completely wiped all my catseye setting.

Thanks
    I am having to do a full scan again as the settings are not being picked up when I ftp'd them in via Dreambox Edit

Thanks
    Did you restart enigma after FTPing catseye?

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs.

Thanks
    Hiya mate, yes I restarted and it has lost everything. I think that I'm going to have to start over again from scratch.

Thanks
    Try pressing blue, think it defaults to radio, then yellow, then find your 28.2 providers, this should give you your bouquet list, pick a channel and from there your catseye's listings should be back.

E2 has done this to me before, it gets locked into a pre stored service list or radio service list and you have to go and find yours again within the image.

Hey, one step closer.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to fatboy7 For This Useful Post:

Armpit1UK (07-04-2013)

Thanks
    Newsflash. I reflashed the image from the start, installed the hd manager first and then catseye settings and all seems to be fine. Panic over.
    So the HD Manager should be in the plugins for other to use. Might have to leave the box alone for a bit now as the other half is ready to castrate me!

Thanks
    Can anyone help? Now certain sats are greyed out and it's telling me to check my tuner configs. I was watching those channels earlier! What have I done & what can I do to correct it? Going to try re-loading the catseye settings again.

Thanks
    Fixed the greyed out channel issue. I reloaded the catseye settings on Dreambox Edit but made sure that the auto reload settings enigma 2 box was ticked. Then rebooted from the remote and the sats are back!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast