Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VU+ SOLO2 Picture Quality

Thanks

VU+ SOLO2 Picture Quality

Hi
    Please I need help about this model.
    I received my Solo2 nine days ago.
    After update with the newest BH image and making the adjusting settings I am not satisfied with picture quality in SD channels. I compare with my old Topfield TF5500PVR and the pictures on Top are more sharp and nice colors. With the Top by Scart and Solo2 by Scart or HDMI.
    The picture quality in my LG-47LM760S by its tuner is also better. Is equal to Top.

Some help about this? Any of you have had same problems?
    I was hoping to have a nice box but now I'm a little disappointed. I must resolve this question in few days for stay with it or get back.

PS: Meanwhile I update to the latest driver and the PQ was enhanced. But still a little difference to other tuners. Does it means future drivers will do this box great?

Thanks
    i must admit i dont watch much SD if any ,but if drivers have enhanced the picture quality theres no reason that future drivers wont enhance it even more its still a relatively new receiver thats already come a long way in a short time in my opinion

Thanks
    Jesus, not you again !!!!

Told you before in the other forum and I'll tell you again here.

No one buys an HD box and most definitely not this particular one simply to use its scart output. I'm sorry to say but if you don't have the knowledge nor the will to learn how to set up this box to its full potential, keep your Topfield which is not even an HD receiver.

If you think it gives you a better picture via scart, simply keep it and send the Vu+ back to the dealer but please stop moaning about it's poor picture quality in all the forums I visit which apparently you're the only one complaining about.

Cheers

Thanks
    Ops, I do not intend to bore you.
    Well I don't have chance of compare in loco this box with other recent boxes. I only can to buy by net. So how I did that face to face with my Topfield (only in SD channels of course) and I became worried about. I'm thinking if this is one best buy.
    My posts in others forums are to get quick objective informations. Because contrary to what you say I read many posts about the bad picture quality of SOLO2. But I didn't understand if that negative quotations are because bad settings or other thing that not the VU+ quality.
    Sorry by my poor english I hope you understand
    Last edited by cpistola; 01-03-2013 at 02:14 AM.

Thanks
    Just take your time and browse the forums you visit and try to learn a few basic notions how to setup the box properly. This very forum is a good way to start with plenty of usefull information.

Cheers

Thanks
    @cpistola,

Sorry to hear about your experience with the Solo2 and its Picture quality via Scart & HDMI on SD channels, Unlike some i shall try and help in a limited way firstly i believe its down to the Broadcom chipset of the Box itself as every Broadcom based receiver i have owned Including Dreambox have all fallen just a little short in PQ not by margins in any way or form but there is a difference, I own a couple of other different chipset based recievers STi & ALi these both give a marginal improvement on both HD and SD but i must stress Marginal as i say and others have reported Broadcom drivers are updated on a regular basis to imptove not only picture quality but most other functions as well.

The only true way you will notice a marginal difference is to try and set your display panel up the best way you can either try one of the downloadable Plasma/LCD setup or borrow a THX certified DVD or Blu ray with the setup calibration system built into it, you 3rd option would be to get a Calman trained Pro out to your house and have Him/her setup your display correctly for each input device costing Circa £250 but well worth it.

Regards

Thanks
    just testing a solo2 running bh 2.01 rev A here and frankly I fail to see what the problem is

it looks absolutely fine to me on SD channels and even better on HD channels over a scart lead
    I dont see any difference between this or my spiderbox 7000 on the exact same feed
    I also have a duo running BH 179 and the picture quality is fine on that box too.
    I dont have a topfield so cannot comment on that box

but I suppose the driver issues (if there are any) will improve over time on any box including the solo2

EDIT

just testing these features further and have noticed its a bad picture if you set the scart to rgb instead of cvbs or s-video- really bad and greenish

set it to cvbs or you could use s-video , and then check scart and hdmi and its miles better

in other words dont set scart to RGB

normally you would use RGB on scart , but for some reason its bad in this image on this box, no idea about vix

Thanks
    I have db 500 hd and v+duo and just got solo2 of sponsor all connected thru hdmi and I think personly both v+ beat my db for picture quality may be tv could do with setting. Not used scart leads for ages only hdmi leads but gold plated just my opinion thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyboy View Post
    I have db 500 hd and v+duo and just got solo2 of sponsor all connected thru hdmi and I think personly both v+ beat my db for picture quality may be tv could do with setting. Not used scart leads for ages only hdmi leads but gold plated just my opinion thanks
    Gold plated just means reduction in Oxidisation compared to standard metal it will not improve picture quality, Probably comes from the sales Blurb people have used since Gold Plated Scart leads

V.I.P
    Thanks
    gold plating is due to being a softer more conductive material , this is to ensure a good connection with limited signal loss .

corrosion and looks are secondary .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    just testing a solo2 running bh 2.01 rev A here and frankly I fail to see what the problem is

it looks absolutely fine to me on SD channels and even better on HD channels over a scart lead
    I dont see any difference between this or my spiderbox 7000 on the exact same feed
    I also have a duo running BH 179 and the picture quality is fine on that box too.
    I dont have a topfield so cannot comment on that box

but I suppose the driver issues (if there are any) will improve over time on any box including the solo2

EDIT

just testing these features further and have noticed its a bad picture if you set the scart to rgb instead of cvbs or s-video- really bad and greenish

set it to cvbs or you could use s-video , and then check scart and hdmi and its miles better

in other words dont set scart to RGB

normally you would use RGB on scart , but for some reason its bad in this image on this box, no idea about vix
    If he can connect the VU+ to his telly via HDMI, what's the point of messing about with a scart connection for comparison sake with his other box ?? This is just pure nonsense to me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kota View Post
    If he can connect the VU+ to his telly via HDMI, what's the point of messing about with a scart connection for comparison sake with his other box ?? This is just pure nonsense to me.
    yes I understand that, but there may be other members who have bought a HD box and dont have a HD tv, in which case if you had bothered to read the latter part of my reply you will see that there seems to be an issue when setting the box to RGB on scart that gives a poor picture with green tint which isnt present in s-video or in cvbs. so as most people would set this to RGB they would then complain about the issue. if using HDMI this problem isnt apparent no matter which of those settings you use

THE POINT here is that you may be using the box with HDMI to a HDMI tv but may have the scart connected to a second tv, or to a video sender, or to a dvd recorder like me over the last few years scarted from my dm800HD to a sony dvd recorder in order to record a movie and dub to a dvdr and you wouldnt want that bad picture to be on your second tv or recordings

and in case you decided to reply and tell me nobody would connect a HD tv to an SD tv , you are wrong

a HD box obtaining a HD channel can decode it so that it can be watched on an SD tv and the picture quality is usually better than any SD channel. c5HD on 28 east is one such channel, as was PLTV on 10 east when we could watch it and there will be more too. some members do this with a tm5402 or spiderbox and distribute rf over the coaxial aerial network so you wouldnt want it on that option either

I do agree that generally speaking you would watch a HD box using hdmi to a HD tv, but its not always the case and sometimes you would try these comparison tests. this member is entitled to do so although I am not sure about the validity of the tests he has done so far as he hasnt mentioned if he has scart set to RGB or to cvbs, his topfield is probably set to RGB on scart which is always superior to cvbs and always has been, so in actual fact there is no way to compare like with like as I pointed out in my edited reply that you quoted without reading the actual context or the fact that a fault does exist

so lose the bad attitude and start to think about these things properly given your long term membership here, try reading the rules about not dissing other members and think very, VERY carefully before you post these negative comments again as I for one wont tolerate this on here

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I'm using my HD box with my SD large Toshiba rear projection TV. I have to use scart - no HDMI.
    As echelon says, picture quality on the HD channels is much better than the SD channels (even with the SD TV).
    For some reason, I've found the image I use has a bearing upon whether RGB or CVBS is best. Indeed some only work with one or the other.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    yes I understand that, but there may be other members who have bought a HD box and dont have a HD tv, in which case if you had bothered to read the latter part of my reply you will see that there seems to be an issue when setting the box to RGB on scart that gives a poor picture with green tint which isnt present in s-video or in cvbs. so as most people would set this to RGB they would then complain about the issue. if using HDMI this problem isnt apparent no matter which of those settings you use

THE POINT here is that you may be using the box with HDMI to a HDMI tv but may have the scart connected to a second tv, or to a video sender, or to a dvd recorder like me over the last few years scarted from my dm800HD to a sony dvd recorder in order to record a movie and dub to a dvdr and you wouldnt want that bad picture to be on your second tv or recordings

and in case you decided to reply and tell me nobody would connect a HD tv to an SD tv , you are wrong

a HD box obtaining a HD channel can decode it so that it can be watched on an SD tv and the picture quality is usually better than any SD channel. c5HD on 28 east is one such channel, as was PLTV on 10 east when we could watch it and there will be more too. some members do this with a tm5402 or spiderbox and distribute rf over the coaxial aerial network so you wouldnt want it on that option either

I do agree that generally speaking you would watch a HD box using hdmi to a HD tv, but its not always the case and sometimes you would try these comparison tests. this member is entitled to do so although I am not sure about the validity of the tests he has done so far as he hasnt mentioned if he has scart set to RGB or to cvbs, his topfield is probably set to RGB on scart which is always superior to cvbs and always has been, so in actual fact there is no way to compare like with like as I pointed out in my edited reply that you quoted without reading the actual context or the fact that a fault does exist

so lose the bad attitude and start to think about these things properly given your long term membership here, try reading the rules about not dissing other members and think very, VERY carefully before you post these negative comments again as I for one wont tolerate this on here
    Ok. I got the message. However, it really annoys me to see his posts all over the forums I'm also a member bashing this fantastic box being it for either poor picture quality, slow channel searching, not capable of tuning specific channels or whatever and that's why I got a bit carried away here.

If I have the patience to look for an old scart lead I'm sure I must have here somewhere lying around, I might give it a go and report my findings.

Cheers

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Hi All,

(Where is cpistola)

I had an RGB problem with the
    Humax HD2000.
    The RGB picture was unstable
    on the Sony LCD, waving dark
    bands rolling from top to bottom.

The fix was to change
    the (Colour System) from Pal
    to Secam.
    On the Sony the Colour system
    is grayed out (Menu-setting- Setup) in
    terrestrial freeview, to enable
    Colour system you have to turn on
    your STB, then the TV will
    detect the Secam signal.
    The (Colour System will then light UP
    giving you access to change from
    Pal to Secam.
    Once changed the RGB was as
    clear as a Bell.

@cpistola, Have you uploaded the latest
    Software update (Simplink) it detects any
    HDMI connected box, or any
    other update, if yes, your Picture settings
    will have by default been reset to (Standard).
    I find (Vivid + User) the best Picture setting.
    Its just (Vivid) until to change any of the
    Vivid settings, the if becomes (Vivid + User).

Goto, Menu..Support..Picture test.. in the
    LG 47ML760 LCD.
    Test the Picture Quality and if your dissatisfied
    with it you will find an LG phone number
    on that page to make a complaint.

PS, thing is, can't find a Colour System on
    my LG 55LM760T.

Cpistola, what does the (S)
    stand for in your LG name (Satellite ?).

BF.

Thanks
    Hi

Out of curiosity I decided to connect the box to my Samsung LE46C750 via scart and to be quite honest the picture is pretty acceptable but obviously miles away from HDMI.

I couldn't see any green tint or any other issues whatsoever and I promise you I don't need a visit to specsavers at all

Cheers

See for yourselves.

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot.jpg
    Last edited by kota; 02-03-2013 at 11:52 PM.

Thanks
    Not doubting your point about the non existent green tint on the picture but those screen shots look very much like screen grabs from the webif, to get a correct shot for the benefit of the OP you would have to take one via a camera and show some of the TV screen/logo in the photo.

Thanks
    Hi, thanks to all. I was a little absent.

Well, finally here is one competent explication about poor (even marginal) PQ of Solo2 and perhaps other VU : How said digicon :
    "...Unlike some i shall try and help in a limited way firstly i believe its down to the Broadcom chipset of the Box itself as every Broadcom based receiver i have owned Including Dreambox have all fallen just a little short in PQ not by margins in any way or form but there is a difference, I own a couple of other different chipset based recievers STi & ALi these both give a marginal improvement on both HD and SD but i must stress Marginal as i say and others have reported Broadcom drivers are updated on a regular basis to imptove not only picture quality but most other functions as well"
    I read also in other place that differences Broadcom versus STi chipsets. Of course Broadcom will have another functionalities

As I said I only have possibility of compare with my Topfield (only SD, Top. is not HD) and the LG TV tuner (SD and HD).
    In fact all my preoccupation is if I'm buying a very good box. And usually I buy such a device for use a long time.
    I must decide to next monday (14 days). Stay or not.
    If I knew that Duo2 come with better PQ,(and arrive next one or two months) I would go to Duo2.

Bbigfoot :
    I live in Portugal and the LG models are **LM***S . It has a Sat tuner, perhaps the S is of Sat. But the sat software is poor.
    Yes I have the settings optimized.

kota:
    You think Solo2 is fasting in scanning channels? Well, perhaps my unit is faulty but in true I verified this negative point in some reviews.
    Beleave I have not nothing against VU . Yes meanwhile I learned tunning specific channels.
    I only asked for help to know about quality or not of this box.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by digicon View Post
    Not doubting your point about the non existent green tint on the picture but those screen shots look very much like screen grabs from the webif, to get a correct shot for the benefit of the OP you would have to take one via a camera and show some of the TV screen/logo in the photo.
    Sure but you've got to take my word for it. I can always take a picture of my screen but I'm not exactly making things up here ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cpistola View Post
    Hi, thanks to all. I was a little absent.

Well, finally here is one competent explication about poor (even marginal) PQ of Solo2 and perhaps other VU : How said digicon :
    "...Unlike some i shall try and help in a limited way firstly i believe its down to the Broadcom chipset of the Box itself as every Broadcom based receiver i have owned Including Dreambox have all fallen just a little short in PQ not by margins in any way or form but there is a difference, I own a couple of other different chipset based recievers STi & ALi these both give a marginal improvement on both HD and SD but i must stress Marginal as i say and others have reported Broadcom drivers are updated on a regular basis to imptove not only picture quality but most other functions as well"
    I read also in other place that differences Broadcom versus STi chipsets. Of course Broadcom will have another functionalities

As I said I only have possibility of compare with my Topfield (only SD, Top. is not HD) and the LG TV tuner (SD and HD).
    In fact all my preoccupation is if I'm buying a very good box. And usually I buy such a device for use a long time.
    I must decide to next monday (14 days). Stay or not.
    If I knew that Duo2 come with better PQ,(and arrive next one or two months) I would go to Duo2.

Bbigfoot :
    I live in Portugal and the LG models are **LM***S . It has a Sat tuner, perhaps the S is of Sat. But the sat software is poor.
    Yes I have the settings optimized.

kota:
    You think Solo2 is fasting in scanning channels? Well, perhaps my unit is faulty but in true I verified this negative point in some reviews.
    Beleave I have not nothing against VU . Yes meanwhile I learned tunning specific channels.
    I only asked for help to know about quality or not of this box.
    Fair enough but if I were you I would forget automatic scanning altogheder. Download cat's eye settings available here and then edit it with the satellites you receive with either Dreamset or Dreambox Edit and send it to the box.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast