Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vu+ Player for Android

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,083 Posts
    I've recently got a Vu+Solo2 and I can use the transcoding option to watch TV away from home on my Android tablet using VU+ Player. Works quite well even on a slow internet (1mb) connection.

However, I have to put my actual home IP in the "local IP-Address" other wise it will not connect.
    I have my usual dynDNS address (no-ip.info) in the Dyn.DNS.Add. location (on the VU+ player -android) but it will not use this.

If I put the local IP of my Solo2 (192.168.0.x) in the "local IP-Address" slot it looks for the box on the network away from home and obviously does not find the Solo2. Putting the DynDNS address in "local IP-Address" slot is not allowed.

How can I force Vu+Player to use the DynDNS address? Having to find the actual dynamic IP and input that is a bit of a nuisance.

EDIT - SOLVED IT MYSELF

If you set the local IP as 0.0.0.0 then the use of the dynDNS is forced.
    Last edited by 007.4; 28-06-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: problem solved

Thanks
    Is the version you are using on your tablet different to one for a Galaxy 3 phone?
    I hadn't tried this at all until I read your post but the receiver profile settings in the phone app seem different to how you have described them.
    Mine have IP-Address for local and Dyn. DNS Add written exactly like that. At first when I entered my dyndns it said "spaces not allowed" but on the second attempt accepted it. The spaces were on the end.
    Anyway it seems to work fine on lan although HD channels stuttering as previously reported. When I disconnected the wi-fi to force the phone to use data, just "G" signal here the slowest of the lot, it accessed the Vu+ solo2, the power controls worked and I got bored waiting for a streaming picture but a screenshot did eventually load.
    So it does appear that my phone would work with both a local and dyndns address entered and would choose which was best?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I'm using version 1.2 VU+Player for Android. I do not know which version you have.
    Yes, "Dyn.DNS.Add." is the label used.

The speed of connection is vitally important. I would have thought your local wi-fi would be much faster than 3G? So for use in the house your LAN local IP must be better?

HD does not work over WLAN for me. (1mb connection at my remote location).

Thanks
    Yes I have the same version, I tested with mobile signal to see if I could access the box remotely using the dyndns as you said you had problems with it trying to use the local ip when you were away.

Thanks
    Help needed, I have been playing around with streaming to phone and PC and have a few questions:
    Can the transcoding resolution be changed? If I stream to a PC using the port 8002 option from the web-if on my LAN I get different results from VLC and windows media player.
    VLC shows a bitrate of 648 kbps which is too high for my useless and not upgradeable upload speed of 448 Kbps. (downside of living in a rural area)
    Windows media player claims "streaming at 40000 Kbps" Does anyone know what the real speed is and if anything can be done to slow it down. I do realise this would make the picture even worse than it is now.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I've looked at this from the opposite angle. I want the transcoded port 8002 bitrate increased. However, all my investigations show that this is fixed. I measured it at ~500kbps in VLC.

There are quite a few people asking for a user selectable bitrate. Hopefully, this will be implemented soon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 007.4 For This Useful Post:

crabber (02-07-2013)

Thanks
    Yes that would be good, you are lucky to have a good upload speed. I have been in touch with BT, asking if I could upgrade or have a more symmetrical connection, I would sacrifice download speed for this, but they say not possible so have to wait for promised FTTC by the end of 2015. I am not holding my breath though.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Yes, I'm already on Fibre (FTTC). d/l 76mbps, u/l 19mbps

My limiting factor is the d/l speed at the remote location (wifi - not 3G).

Hopefully, the more people that request the variable bitrate option (even just "slow, medium and fast" might be good enough) the quicker it may be implemented.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 007.4 For This Useful Post:

crabber (02-07-2013)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Hmmmm... I've just been testing on my LAN using port 8002 (wifi) and now I'm getting bitrate of ~2500kbps.

So perhaps the bitrate IS variable and automatically set depending upon the connection speed.

If this is the case then it does not seem to be fully optimised - perhaps it could be improved with a user selectable bitrate option as well.

Thanks
    There is a thread on vuplus community, VuPlus DvbApp Git, entitled Transcoding setup add bitrate/framerate support----------------------if only I had the brain to understand it.

Edit also in answer to my question about bitrate a coder has confirmed "Should be 500Kb/s" yet if I stream to the phone app in original it is the size of a postage stamp. This looks less than streaming to a web-if to me?
    Last edited by crabber; 03-07-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 007.4 View Post
    I've recently got a Vu+Solo2 and I can use the transcoding option to watch TV away from home on my Android tablet using VU+ Player. Works quite well even on a slow internet (1mb) connection.

However, I have to put my actual home IP in the "local IP-Address" other wise it will not connect.
    I have my usual dynDNS address (no-ip.info) in the Dyn.DNS.Add. location (on the VU+ player -android) but it will not use this.

If I put the local IP of my Solo2 (192.168.0.x) in the "local IP-Address" slot it looks for the box on the network away from home and obviously does not find the Solo2. Putting the DynDNS address in "local IP-Address" slot is not allowed.

How can I force Vu+Player to use the DynDNS address? Having to find the actual dynamic IP and input that is a bit of a nuisance.

EDIT - SOLVED IT MYSELF

If you set the local IP as 0.0.0.0 then the use of the dynDNS is forced.

It is really not a bug. The IP Autodetection system (using only one profile both for LAN and DynDNS) works in 98% of all cases but if you are connected in an outside LAN with same IP-range as the one you are using at home where your receiver is connected, and you try to access the box in remote, you can get this error. In this case you want to enforce the usage of DynDNS and in the Menu on the main-screen, you have an option to do so (Enable Dynamic DNS). This will work for the time the app is open or until you select a new profile (if any).

The upcoming version will permit you to create two different profiles so you can easily resolve this or you can continue as now enforcing Dynamic DNS as explained above.

Hope this helps.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tilleke For This Useful Post:

007.4 (03-07-2013), crabber (03-07-2013), sonic1 (03-07-2013)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    @tilleke
    Yes, the remote LAN had the same IP address range as my home LAN. My work around is working for now
    I'm looking forward to the next version.

@Crabber
    This is the new plugin.py for the transcoding setup. There is no option to choose bitrate but now it certainly seems to be setting it at ~500kbps.

Back-up the original plugin.py in
    /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/TransCodingSetup

delete (or rename) exist plugin.pyo

Replace with this one and restart enigma2 and you can test the new version released today.
    Attached Files Attached Files

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 007.4 For This Useful Post:

crabber (03-07-2013), Ghitajim (08-09-2013)

Thanks
    It seems that the new bitrate and framerate features will not work with the solo2 drivers and it appears that the Duo2 drivers will be updated first.
    Does this mean support has been reduced on an "older" box now to improve sales of the new one?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crabber View Post
    It seems that the new bitrate and framerate features will not work with the solo2 drivers and it appears that the Duo2 drivers will be updated first.
    Does this mean support has been reduced on an "older" box now to improve sales of the new one?
    The Duo2 has dedicated hardware in the box for trans-coding where as the solo2 is software.

Thanks
    Yes I understand that sonic but both boxes are capable of trans-coding on the fly even though they do it in different ways.
    The plugin.py contains these lines: print "This plugin is only supported for solo2/duo2." and is being developed to include bitrate and framerate support I assume for both boxes?
    My concern is that the solo2 for which one of the reasons I bought it was excellent support, may become second best to duo2. (support wise)
    Could you use your contacts and inside knowledge to let us know if the solo2 drivers will be updated for this plugin to work properly please?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crabber View Post
    Yes I understand that sonic but both boxes are capable of trans-coding on the fly even though they do it in different ways.
    The plugin.py contains these lines: print "This plugin is only supported for solo2/duo2." and is being developed to include bitrate and framerate support I assume for both boxes?
    My concern is that the solo2 for which one of the reasons I bought it was excellent support, may become second best to duo2. (support wise)
    Could you use your contacts and inside knowledge to let us know if the solo2 drivers will be updated for this plugin to work properly please?
    I will let you know as soon as I can m8

21. The Following User Says Thank You to sonic1 For This Useful Post:

crabber (04-07-2013)

Thanks
    Many thanks but may be too late as I have just read this posted on vu+ community:
    "remember that bit/frame rate options can be used only in duo2.
    the solo2 hardware is limited in transcoding and doesn't allow these options.
    sorry. "
    anyone want to buy a cheap solo2 ?

Thanks
    I would not rush to get rid of it that quick m8 unless it is an important feature for you, if it is then you will be impressed with the Duo2.

Thanks
    Hi guys can anyone suggest why i can get this to work at home but not outside - WAN?

Thanks
    You haven't said what you are trying it on, a mobile or PC using the web-fi although it shouldn't make any difference. I suppose the first thing to check if you are using the transcoding port 8002 is that this port is open properly through your router.
    I have a Duo2 on pre-order and have been lucky enough to have tried streaming at different bit rates from a development duo2, I wont say who as I don't want him deluged with requests. I can post my not very scientific results later if anyone is interested.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast