Thread: Setting up my new VU+

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Setting up my new VU+

I have just got my new VU+ Solo2 and I am new in the VU+ arena. I used to have a spiderbox but I do understand this is a different animal. Through what I have read so far, I must've doing something really stupid as it does sound the setup should be much simpler. Anyway, I have followed the steps as indicated in early thread for the loading of a new image. Here the steps I took

I format a USB to FAT32
    Download the latest Vix image version
    Unzip the files and create vuplus/solo2 directory
    Put the unzipped Vix file in the USB within the vuplus/solo2
    Power off the VU+ receiver
    Put the USB at the front
    Power on the VU+

Waiting for a little while but doesn't seem the receiver picks up the new image from the USB

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Just a guess although did help my mate set his up
    dont use sub dir
    Just create vuplus dir put image in that
    power off
    put usb in front
    power on
    hope this helps
    G

Thanks
    looking at the vix 3.0.557 zip file it seems to have a folder called vuplus, and a sub folder called solo2 which contains the 6 files

standard practice on my duo is to unzip or unpack the vuplus folder to the usb stick which preserves the correct path to the files

so you have all 6 files inside vuplus/solo2/ (6 files in the solo2 folder)

on my duo I use the front mounted usb socket , insert the stick and power on

I have vuplus/duo/ and 5 files inside the duo folder, so similar process

the duo reads the stick and starts the downloading process to flash the box

I cannot see the solo2 being any different

just make sure that you have unpacked the vuplus folder to the stick (dont create any folders yourself)

ps:- I use a 2 gig stick, dont use anything above 32 gig and maybe try a different stick of between 1 gig and 8 gig (formatted to fat32)

yesterday I used its menu to online update to image 558 so you can try this too after it has loaded

Thanks
    I have just tried the suggestions from Echelon but I am afraid without any sccess.

I used another stick which I formated to FAT32 and unzipped into the stick which created the vuplus/solo2 directory with its 6 files. I do not have an internal HDD and put te USN stick at the front of the VU+ box. I have noticed when after powering off the reciver and two file systems 'do***ent' and 'usr' were created in the USB by the VU+ box.

Is there anything else I can check within the file system of the VU receiver? and how ?

Currently this is the information I am getting from setup menu
    version: Nov 28 2012-vuplus_expiremental_factorytest
    image: Experimental 2012-11-28

Many thanks

Thanks
    Start with a freshly formatted USB, next uzip the contents of the image directly to your USB, next eject the USB and with the power off put it in the front of your solo2. { remove any other USB devices from the box }

Power the box on and press the blue power button on the front left hand side when it tells you to via the display on the box.

Now let it do its thing.

Thanks
    Many thanks it is working now!!!

The key word was to press the blue power on from the box itself rather than from the remote as i was doing it before.

Many thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FOX View Post
    Many thanks it is working now!!!

The key word was to press the blue power on from the box itself rather than from the remote as i was doing it before.

Many thanks
    sounds to me like you were doing this with the power switched ON at the wallplate and having the box in STANDBY

when I said power off, on my duo it has a rear mains switch to power and depower it as the psu is internal, same as on your old spiderbox, so I used this switch to power it completely off, inserted my usb stick, and used that same rear switch to power it on

the solo2 uses an external psu I believe, so I think you seem to think the button on the remote control powers it off, a lot of people make this mistake of believing that the front "power" button, or the remote "power" button powers and depowers an electrical item, it does not in 99% of cases

my tv does not do this, my sly box does not do this, my dreambox does not do this, my spiderbox does not do this, my laptop does not do this

when we use the term power off and power on, we are talking about the actual power to a unit, and when in doubt you use the switch on the mains wallplate outlet socket to do this

my laptop has a "power" button above the keyboard and on its remote control unit, but it still charges up as its in standby. I remove the actual power from its external psu by powering it off at the mains wallplate, specifically on a 3 way switched surge protector plugged into that wallplate outlet socket

placing a dreambox or vu or similar boxes in this mode is placing them into standby, and may mean that the tuner is depowered and maybe the front display too, but certain aspects still work like emus, and crucially you miss the first stage bootloader when waking them up from standby, meaning you also miss it looking for update files from a stick too

hopefully there will be people who read this pedantic explanation of the term "power off or power on" who now realise that crucial difference

thankfully the instructions sonic1 provided have enabled you to get past this initial stage, I hope my explanations explain it too

regards

Thanks
    No echelon, I Powered it off/on from the switch at the back. when I powered it off and put the stick on and then powered it on again (from the switch at the back), it tells you on the on the front display for few seconds to powered it on and this is where i was doing it from the remote rather than from the blue power on on the panel.

Thank you for your detailed explanation