Thread: My Review of the Avenger 321 Standard LNB

Thanks

My Review of the Avenger 321 Standard LNB

As I promise here is one of my resent test, done this past 3 of January,
    The LNB tested is the Avenger 321, I choose this LNB because it has being classified HD Ready, I have tested old LNBs with new HD receivers and work OK, no missing TP's freq during a Blind Scan at all, but this new era of High Def some manufacturers are starting to mark their LNBs with this HD Ready logo, so I started with this one, first here is what I have, SkyBox S12 HD Mini PVR, OpenBox S10 HD Mini PVR, 9 dishes in the 4.5' feet and 2 5.5' feet all of them solid none are mesh nor fiberglass, in my area the Sats available to me are from 15west to 135west, everything 121 west and above are a bit difficult to aim but it can be done.
    First test was with a dish wish is already fixed at 30west Hispasat, I removed the LNB FortecStar Quad Universal 0.3dB Noise I had with the Avenger 321, did the proper settings at the receiver's menu and exit the menu to see 1 of my favorites channels from this Sat channel Monte Carlo, first thing I notice was the quality signal meter, it improved from 73-76% that it fluctuates to 79-81%, then the image, image was very sharp color definition was improved also.
    Second test was aiming a dish or Sat hunting as I like to call it using the Avenger on a 4.5' feet I have for test, using the Accutrac 22 Plus Sat Finder and the OpenBox S10 with Portable TV I started to Hunt Sat at 78west Known as Simon Bolivar, I enter this Sat's TP manually and started to hunt, Honestly in the Hunting I didn't see any difference at all found the Sat did the last adjustment to gain the best quality signal possible and did a Blind Scan, everyone that has owned an OpenBox knows this receiver's has a good tuner and good Blind Scan, but it is no secret they tend to skip 1 or 2 TPs during the Scan, but on this test is where I got surprised the OpenBox did the Blind Scan and didn't skip a single TP, some members don't think the same but I have chatted with a few old timers from this Hobby and they all said, "it doesn't matter how good a Blind Scan of a receiver can be it will be affected by the LNB's quality" It seems this LNB is well made, it was the first time my OpenBox did not skip a single TP.
    I recommend this LNB, it really performs as I was expecting and the price is cheap, here are the LNB's specs
    Input Freq: 11.70-12.75GHz
    Output Freq: 950-2000
    L.O. Freq: 10.75 GHz
    Noise fig: 0.1dB
    HD Ready

avenger 321.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 4,314 Times in 2,047 Posts
    aint hd and 3d ready lnb's just advertising bull**** ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cosworth4x4 For This Useful Post:

donki (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cosworth4x4 View Post
    That is what I have heard, I haven't seen an old LNB that doesn't work with new receivers, the only thing I can see improved is the image and color def with a newer LNB, I am sure manufacturers just add this stuff to sell their stuff faster.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboPirate View Post
    That is what I have heard, I haven't seen an old LNB that doesn't work with new receivers, the only thing I can see improved is the image and color def with a newer LNB, I am sure manufacturers just add this stuff to sell their stuff faster.
    I don't know anything about lnb's but surely image quality or colour definition cannot be affected by the lnb. The colour and resolution will be coded within the signal won't it?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to joany For This Useful Post:

donki (11-01-2013)

Banned
    Thanks
    Not changed my LNB for 5 or 6 years and get full HD & 3D & lovely colours without any problems what-so-ever even on an OpenShyteBox

Thanks
    And the other thing that could be happening is, since all my LNB are old installing a new one helped the signal quality strength, I remember an old thread where a member was explaining why the Noise figure of a LNB can affect image and color def, anyway I am no expert on electronics I just like to test stuff and see what is different with the previous equipment compared to the new equipment, just a test, 3D is something I can't test at all for now. I didn't have any image or color problems with my other LNBs, wish are all installed back where they were, I just said I saw an improvement on the color def and a sharper image.
    Today on the mail I received a FTA receiver AZBox Bravissimo Twin, is the second one because the first one died after a few hours of test, not sure if it was power spikes but today I received the replacement.
    Last edited by TurboPirate; 11-01-2013 at 02:11 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TurboPirate For This Useful Post:

cosworth4x4 (11-01-2013), manic01 (11-01-2013), philips (14-01-2013)

Thanks
    Guys I think I found out why the image improved when I tested this LNB, found more specs on the box where the LNB is packed, here is the info
    Ku LNBF
    Compact, lightweight, weatherproof with a 40mm throat diameter
    Excellent Noise Ratio 0.1dB
    Standard 10750 LO Frequency
    40 dB Image Rejection
    Great for all of your international channels & Ku linear sat feeds

Thanks
    0.1 noise level is just marketing move....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cosworth4x4 View Post
    Totally agree.