Thread: Samsung LCD TV faulty

Thanks

Samsung LCD TV faulty

I bought a Samsung LE40A656 just under 4 years ago and it was the top of the pile at the time. However during the last couple of weeks it has started taking longer to start and now just won't come on at all (it keeps trying and the red led on the right continually flashes).

Anyway I looked on the internet and there is a known issue with the capacitors on the power board blowing. I was going to take the back off and fix it myself (as I did with my technomate HD6900HD super) but when I was looking for instructions on fixing it I read there was a class lawsuit in the USA. I called the local service centre to discuss the problem and he said it was a recognised problem and Samsung would probably authorise a free fix (even though its out of warranty) if I logged it with their call centre.

I did this and 'low and behold' a job has been raised (I even requested to logging the fault the service centre I called prior, and this was done also). The service centre has just made an appointment with me for tomorrow morning.

When logging the fault with Samsung I didnt tell them it was more than 3 years old, I told them it was just out of warranty.

FYI
    Last edited by joany; 04-12-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: typo

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joany For This Useful Post:

echelon (04-12-2012), holmroad (05-12-2012), sonic1 (04-12-2012), sparky_dog (04-12-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    my lad had a similar problem with his samsung and they fixed it without charge, and he had owned it 2 or 3 years at the time

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Something must be said for Fenwicks, John lewis and M&S for their free 5 year warranty. Although hats off to Samsung if they come out and fix it for free. I wonder if you would get that sort of service from Apple.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 470 Posts

Icon3

There is every chance this is a Power Supply fault, not too big a problem to repair, but that said these PSU’s are complex, with a high failure rate of Electrolytic Capacitors’. May be worth finding a local TV shop, competent to carrying out the repairs needed.
    Last edited by bob; 04-12-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    There is every chance this is a Power Supply fault, not too big a problem to repair, but that said these PSU’s are complex, with a high failure rate of Electrolytic Capacitors’. May be worth finding a local TV shop compatible of carrying out the repairs needed.
    It is a recognised fault with these TV's and this post is for information for anyone else with a failing Samsung out of warranty. If you log it with samsung you might get it fixed free, even if it is out of the warranty period.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joany For This Useful Post:

Aldo (04-12-2012), echelon (04-12-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joany View Post
    It is a recognised fault with these TV's and this post is for information for anyone else with a failing Samsung out of warranty. If you log it with samsung you might get it fixed free, even if it is out of the warranty period.
    very true

under the sale of goods act you get 6 years to get a manufacturing defect repaired F.O.C. , (5 in SCOTLAND)

currys/dixons dealt with samsung in my lads case as they were the retailer

a warranty is something the retailer or manufacturer gives you, but it doesnt absolve them of their rights under the law, the law takes precedence over the warranties and the law is the greater authority in these matters

so clearly it was a known fault and as such comes under the 6 year rules, not any warranty rules

_http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/understanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/your-rights/

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Aldo (04-12-2012), KES (04-12-2012)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Another problem that arises with this problem is if left for too long not only are there bad caps but because of the long period of flashing leds before tv comes on the eeprom chip is corrupted, which then also has to be replaced.
    You could trying shorting pins 5 & 6 to each other to clear the eeprom but this is not for the faint hearted.
    BTW samsung have a list of tv's that have this reported fault, if yours isn't on it they'll not fix it for free, even if its the same fault!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sleepy For This Useful Post:

echelon (05-12-2012)

Thanks
    i think you mite find this site of interest

http://www.bixreclamation.co.uk/

my tv packed up to change every board in the tv with p & p cost me less than £ 50

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ABA For This Useful Post:

joany (05-12-2012), sparky_dog (05-12-2012)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 470 Posts

Icon3

I would only add here, if you have to replace the PSU, “this should not be necessary” but if you decide to take that rough, use extreme care that the panel is replaced with the correct one carrying the same part number, as failure to do so can end in disaster for the TV, and the wallet.
    The repair of these sets normally involves upgrading the Power supply.

Thanks
    Martin Dawes engineer turned up this morning, replaced power board and tv now working fine.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to joany For This Useful Post:

sparky_dog (05-12-2012)