Thread: One Motorised Dish with Dual LNB for 2 Receivers in Different Rooms

Verified Registered User
    Thanks

One Motorised Dish with Dual LNB for 2 Receivers in Different Rooms

Is it true that only one receiver can control the motor movement with the above setup?

I would like to know if there is any option so that I could control the movement from both boxes. Not simultaneously of course!

Thanks

Thanks
    If you have single LNB and put a cable from the loopthrough to the receiver upstairs you can't use both at the same time this is the only option that works 100%

Thanks
    not 100% you both have to watch the same polarity transponder. i.e if the one downdownstairs is 10666H you cant watch 10788V

i think im right anwyay

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I think the title said dual lnb with one dish. I am not sure about controlling the dish from both boxes but if no conflict in power/control is involved the lnb cable carries the power to the motor so it should be possible with correct settings but someone else will be able to correct/add to this . Certainly you can watch any channels on the same satellite on each receiver with a twin/dual lnb - I do with my setup. H or V does not make a difference - only if, as earlier posts say, you have a single lnb. Cheers - Brain

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    if using the loopthrough idea, place the main box in standby when wishing to use the second box, using a single lnb feed

or you can use an A-B switch and control the motor from one box or the other box, but only one box works at a time

with a twin lnb system, one box controls the motor and lnb, whereas the other box is connected directly to the lnb and has no motor control. this means you have to control the main box. to do this you need a remote control system like the marmitek pyramids that allow you to take the remote control to another room and control the first box by remote. the trouble then is you canot see what you are doing, unless the first box has an rf output like the spiderbox 9000 has, in which case you run a coax in from the rf out to the second room and tune the second tv into that rf output which allows you to control the box and see what you are doing. this method is normally used to send the main box output to a secondary location but also helps do the task required

Thanks
    If using a Spiderbox make sure eco is turned off

7. The Following User Says Thank You to satpaul For This Useful Post:

echelon (19-10-2012)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Just a thought - is there not a manual 4-way crossover switch somwewhere (two inpu/two output - with crossover switching of the inputs to outputs). Such a device would allow you to manually control which receiver controlled (ie was routed via) the motor.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Thanks for all!

Guess I would opt to one LNB through loop through from one box to the other. I think this is the best option for me.

I do not consider using both receivers at the same time. To use them both at the same time on different polarities on the same satellite I understand you need a dual LNB. However, then you have the problem to control the motor from the second receiver.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satpaul View Post
    If you have single LNB and put a cable from the loopthrough to the receiver upstairs you can't use both at the same time this is the only option that works 100%
    ive read this a few times, i think theres a typo somewhere as it doesnt make sense.

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    it does, what he means is what he says. you cant use both receivers at the same time, so when downstairs, turn on receiver, when upstairs turn off downstairs and turn on upstairs. and both work 100% every time.

Thanks
    read it again slowly

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    if you read what satpaul wrote, in the context of the thread which relates to moving the dish, he is correct in what he wrote

on the other hand, if you read it in the context of not being able to use both receivers TO WATCH A DIFFERENT POLARITY CHANNEL at the same time then what manikm said is correct, BUT that has no relevance to controlling the motor which is what the whole thread context is about

essentially both statements are correct, BUT in different contexts

original post

Quote Originally Posted by norge View Post
    Is it true that only one receiver can control the motor movement with the above setup?

I would like to know if there is any option so that I could control the movement from both boxes. Not simultaneously of course!

Thanks
    at no time did he ask if both receivers can be used at the same time, or what restrictions would be placed on the second receiver when in loopthrough with both boxes switched on

obviously one box could watch bbc1HD and the other watch bbcHD on 10847V 23000 at the same time

hope that explains it

thread closed