Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: new motor setup satellite signal but no picture

Thanks
    5w is your nearest satellite to true south and skew will be zero when pointing at it

send to 5w using usals and use gcpe1 on transponder 12543H 27500 to setup your system

once you get the test card and test tone and get signal and quality on that channel you can then see if you have the arc setup correctly

I get signal of 75% green and quality of 98% blue for that channel and transponder on 5w

you wont get a picture until you are pointing at it so the box can lock onto that transponder

I already said signal was irrelevant until you get quality and the correct channel and ident (channel ident for gcpe1 is 1101)

Thanks
    no channels at all everything just says at bottom q - 2%
    i even tried the sat bleeper there and it near blew my ears off
    getting more signal than a local friend but still no picture what the hell is wrong
    brand new lnb dark surely i wouldnt be getting sat signal if not working?

Thanks
    gcpe1 im getting s=64% q = 2% still no pic

Thanks
    my opinion is that when you set this up you didnt follow the standard procedures

you should have input a spiderbox list, and set your usals to about 6.1w and 53.4n (east coast of ireland)

then sent it to 5w and selected gcpe1

now having a sat meter and a tv connected to the box, you should have moved the dish left and right and up and down on the dish elevation until you actually saw and heard gcpe1 on the tv screen

listening to a sat beeper doesnt tell you which satellite you are pointed at, so you could be pointed at any of them as I dont believe you bothered using a tv and the spiderbox to double check this

so if we assume you only used a sat meter or beeper, we have no idea what your reference satellite position is pointed at, and you would have had no idea either unless you used a tv and the spiderbox to decide which of the many satellites up there you were pointed at

sounds like you did a poke and hope rather than scientific study of making sure that what the beeper told you was borne out by the spiderbox

suggest you start again using gcpe1 on 5w , send the motor to where it thinks that is using usals, then set the motor elevation to about 53.5 and lock it, and then move the dish left and right and up and down until you see and hear gcpe1 on the tv screen (the beeper will also indicate a signal too)

once the quality turns blue and you see and hear the channel, you will be a lot closer to tracking the arc from the known reference point

when I set mine up earlier this year I did a similar trick using 5w , then finely adjusted it using 4w

there are a few setup guides in the dish forum here

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/forumdisp...sh-Discussions

this appears to be a dish and motor issue, not a spiderbox issue

Thanks
    i can honestly say the only thing i didnt do there was have the channel list loaded first. I only tried the sat beeper afterwards to see was i able to get better signal and did by few %. My reference satellite was 0.8w and motor elevation is correct. I will try again tomorrow using 5w and gcpe1 and let you know how i get on.
    Thanks a mill for your help so far

Thanks
    thats your mistake then

the sat beeper will emit a signal, and the frequency will go up when it finds a satellite, so you listen for that change in pitch

this wont tell you which one of the dozens up there it has found (unless its an expensive rover or lacuna or similar meter)

so locking on to a satellite without knowing which was found wont help, especially as you hadnt loaded a channel list, input the usals and sent the motor to where it "thinks" 5w should actually be

in your case 5w is only 1 degree out from your 6w location so its your starting point as the motor will be near zero when you are pointing at 5w and no skew on the lnb either ( so if its a bottom entry cable it will point straight down)

so setting the motor to the correct part of the arc using the spiderbox and usals will be half your battle, then leaving it on gcpe1 and moving the dish up and down and the motor mount left and right until you get gcpe1 with the beeper indicating you are on a satellite, and your spiderbox and tv actually locking onto that channel so you see and hear it, that will prove you are on the correct satellite and transponder, with signal and more importantly QUALITY to provide that proof, with a working channel actually on the tv screen

my opinion here is the dish could be pointing anywhere, and the arc could be way out too

so lock the motor on your latitude, connect the beeper and spiderbox, ensure usals is set correctly and the motor pointer is close to zero, hook up the tv so you can see it, and start adjusting the dish until you see and hear gcpe1 come up with its test card and test tone. at that point lock it up and try for 28e and 42e , and 15w and 30w, finely adjusting until you track the arc correctly, from your due south position of 5w (which is why you are choosing 5w and gcpe1 in the first place)

good luck ( been there and got the t shirt several times myself )

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but installing someone else's channel list also installs their latitude, and longitude, which means the motor will not align to the satellite correctly, after installing the channel list always go into the motor set up and check your latitude, and longitude.

Vu+UNO [ViX-3.0-558-Build CCcam MGcamd][with keys][SpiderBox HD & SD]
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickha View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but installing someone else's channel list also installs their latitude, and longitude, which means the motor will not align to the satellite correctly, after installing the channel list always go into the motor set up and check your latitude, and longitude.
    Not correct!

you can load anybody's usals channel list it won't change your usals settings
    if you were to load a channel list that is set to Diseqc command,
    (it will confuse your stored positions in your motor that is if your using Diseqc command)

Thanks
    best thing to do here ( its a beautiful day for the job ) is start from scratch ,,go right back to the wall bracket and recheck everything ..................

Thanks
    Can anyone advise angle my dish should be at?
    I have motor set right

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flickerrr View Post
    Can anyone advise angle my dish should be at?
    I have motor set right
    at no point in this thread have you actually said which dish and motor you have bought

so not without knowing the dish and motor details we cant, although your motor booklet should tell you this

its typically between about 22 degrees and 29 degrees and mine is something like 27 degrees on my motor but it does vary according to the dish being used but the dish elevation and motor elevation will add up to 90 degrees

V.I.P
    Thanks
    the hardest part of setting up a motorised dish is actually knowing what sat your on if any,i dont always use channel lists,what i have done in the past.used my meter and tv,lock on to strongest signal and then done a blind scan,so for example if i think i am on 1w once scan is complete its easy to check if channels scanned actually match with channels on kos.if not then you have a rough guide of where you dish is actually pointing by comparing what you have scanned with say kos,maybe not the easy way but it works for me,bbcworld has always been my reference on 1w due to my location.but you will get there.patience is the key

mister-t

Thanks
    motor is gbsat hh120 dish is 1.2m on a ground mount
    if i put the dish angle to 22-29 it will be pointing very low
    my problem mister-t is getting any channel at all!

Thanks
    to start with keep the dish plumb on 28.2e you can tweak it later
    Last edited by voyager1972; 07-10-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks
    the only 2 constants for your setup is your location, thats longitude and latitude

the latitude is set using the motor elevation and is probably about 53.5n for your location, and your longitude is 6.1w, so both those go into your spiderbox channel section under usals and that will send the dish to 5w when you ask it to for gcpe1

now your problem is deciding, from your do***entation supplied with the dish and motor, what the dish elevation should be, so I suggest you check that do***entation for the info , the dish will be about 90 degrees to the ground when pointing due south, and any obstructions will block the signals from reaching your dish, so you need a clear line of sight from 42 east to 30 west, no buildings or trees in the way, bearing in mind the signals come from space and so at maybe a 45 degree angle (so a wall 10 feet away will block the signals)

I am not familiar with your dish or motor equipment so I would check what the supplied paperwork says is the dish angle or elevation for your latitude , so look around the 53 to 54 latitude section of that paperwork

if you need dish and motor info you should have posted in the dish forum, so maybe you should do so until you get this setup sorted out

once your dish and motor track the arc correctly, thats when the spiderbox questions can be answered

its the ground mount that is plumb, the dish will only be close to plumb on the zero setting (due south)

good luck

edit , the dish ELEVATION angle is probably about 36.5 (as I said earlier, you take away your latitude from 90 degrees)

the dish bracket angle is possibly 27 degrees like mine is

the danger here is just saying the word ANGLE , instead of specifying if its ELEVATION ANGLE or BRACKET ANGLE

there are 3 angles to consider

ELEVATION ANGLE

DECLINATION ANGLE

DISH BRACKET ANGLE

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flickerrr View Post
    motor is gbsat hh120 dish is 1.2m on a ground mount
    if i put the dish angle to 22-29 it will be pointing very low
    my problem mister-t is getting any channel at all!
    ok if you are using usuals and you have set up long and lat correctley,move dish to your refernce sat
    use your meter and tv,now raise or lower dish any signal? if so scan that sat,if not move whole of mount a degree left or right and redo previous raise dish up or down,i know its long winded but once you get a lock and channels are scanned you will have an idea how near or far you are away of your reference sat

mister-t

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    if you use a channellist you have to set your lat/longitud in menu.
    or else its the uploader of channellist lat and long you use...

V.I.P
    Thanks
    just done a search of your motor,looks exactley like mine but name is different,so what is your location,dont just say ireland lol

mister-t

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mister-t View Post
    just done a search of your motor,looks exactley like mine but name is different,so what is your location,dont just say ireland lol

mister-t
    lol its belfast

Thanks
    just done a google search and its a stab h-h120 motor, page 5 of the pdf manual tells you how to calculate your dish elevation, according to your location

belfast on bing maps is about 54.5N and 5.9w

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast