Thread: dm500s

Thanks

dm500s

need some help my dad bless him picked up a dm500v8 from car boot lol. i can remember when i had 1 there was a ersae image knocking about so it cleared your box before flashing it. is it still knocking about.also can i flash it with dreamup with rs232 cable still got cable. but not done 1 for ages now. ive got dreamup from there site but im useing windows 7 64 bit so do i still install the bridge thing for the ports. just forgot how to do it and need some advice please i remember its enigma 1 am i right. like i said not done 1 for years any help please thanks.

Thanks
    use dreamup with rs 232 connection,,,,,you can get a rs232 to usb lead as modern pc,s and laptops dont have these connections,,,,,,,,,,,,use dreamup to erase flash,,,backup image,,,and flash new image. these boxes are enigma 1.......a great little box for playing about with,,,a pity they were not high def.....dreamup is very straight forward to use just hook it up and pick the com port in dream up and flash an image ,,,i liked the nabilosat darkstar 2 image ,and very simple to set up....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by voyager1972 View Post
    use dreamup with rs 232 connection,,,,,you can get a rs232 to usb lead as modern pc,s and laptops dont have these connections,,,,,,,,,,,,use dreamup to erase flash,,,backup image,,,and flash new image. these boxes are enigma 1.......a great little box for playing about with,,,a pity they were not high def.....dreamup is very straight forward to use just hook it up and pick the com port in dream up and flash an image ,,,i liked the nabilosat darkstar 2 image ,and very simple to set up....
    thanks for reply but i thought pcs did have these rs232 connections i can remember doing my just with rs232 lead as long as both ends where the same unless something as changed. or is it because im using windows 7 i have rs plug in the back thanks.

Thanks
    Laptops donīt have it byt desttops usually support a rs connection. If You have it then just use it. Nice box, I have 2 of them !

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    some pc,s and most laptops DO NOT contain rs232c com ports (neither 9 pin or 25 pin)

most older pc,s do contain the required 9 pin com ports and I have a couple of desktops and a tower that does, all running the best os for it (xp)

some laptops also have 9 pin com ports and I have a hp and a dell that do, both running xp

its always better to use xp and a dedicated machine with these 9 pin com ports, which is why I kepp these older machines, apart from xp being more compatible with some programs or games

progress isnt always what it is cracked up to be, and most copies of win 7 dont have the built in dos necessary for some functions as ms stripped it out apart from professional and ultimate

so as you can see, its a minefield and the type of windows used, and the machine running it, will determine success or failure

I would advise anybody needing to do flashing of boxes and routers to have an old xp machine lying about, in my case the HP/COMPAQ laptop running xp does it for me, despite it being about 6 or 7 years old, the dell laptop is even older, and that is one reason why they have com ports, ie:- before manufacturers started to phase it out

so dont believe all the hype, there are definitely many pc,s and laptops containing 9 pin com ports, which I can attest to looking around my house and can provide pictures if it is necessary for the doubting thomas`s out there ?

in the OP`s case I would check he has the required 9 pin com port on the pc (same port as he will see on the back of the dm500s), disconnect the internal hdd in his pc and stick in an old smallish hdd like a 20 gig or 40 gig, format it and install xp and ensure the com port is seen and working in the system device manager, and the ethernet too , then connect a null modem cable direct to the dm500s and also ethernet cable to the dreambox via the router from a spare port, then try to reflash it using xp and the null modem cable

once the task is completed, leave the 20 gig hdd inside the pc but disconnect the cable and reconnect his current hdd containing win7

alternatively have them both connected and set the bios boot order with priority to the win7 hdd or to the xp hdd as required, so you can chose which one to boot using the bios to set that priority boot order. this allows dual boot to occur

its even possible to add 3 hdd and have one with xp , one with vista and one with win7, the possibilities are endless. but I suspect the OP hasnt got win7 pro or win7 ult and so would rule out that os for this task, as he is more likely to have win7 starter or basic or home premium which is what most win7 owners have

get the correct tools and any job is possible, but to try and build a stud wall using a pebble as a hammer because you no longer own a proper hammer is foolish

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

GrumpyDave (04-10-2012), kennyboy (04-10-2012), supergab (11-10-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    some pc,s and most laptops DO NOT contain rs232c com ports (neither 9 pin or 25 pin)

most older pc,s do contain the required 9 pin com ports and I have a couple of desktops and a tower that does, all running the best os for it (xp)

some laptops also have 9 pin com ports and I have a hp and a dell that do, both running xp

its always better to use xp and a dedicated machine with these 9 pin com ports, which is why I kepp these older machines, apart from xp being more compatible with some programs or games

progress isnt always what it is cracked up to be, and most copies of win 7 dont have the built in dos necessary for some functions as ms stripped it out apart from professional and ultimate

so as you can see, its a minefield and the type of windows used, and the machine running it, will determine success or failure

I would advise anybody needing to do flashing of boxes and routers to have an old xp machine lying about, in my case the HP/COMPAQ laptop running xp does it for me, despite it being about 6 or 7 years old, the dell laptop is even older, and that is one reason why they have com ports, ie:- before manufacturers started to phase it out

so dont believe all the hype, there are definitely many pc,s and laptops containing 9 pin com ports, which I can attest to looking around my house and can provide pictures if it is necessary for the doubting thomas`s out there ?

in the OP`s case I would check he has the required 9 pin com port on the pc (same port as he will see on the back of the dm500s), disconnect the internal hdd in his pc and stick in an old smallish hdd like a 20 gig or 40 gig, format it and install xp and ensure the com port is seen and working in the system device manager, and the ethernet too , then connect a null modem cable direct to the dm500s and also ethernet cable to the dreambox via the router from a spare port, then try to reflash it using xp and the null modem cable

once the task is completed, leave the 20 gig hdd inside the pc but disconnect the cable and reconnect his current hdd containing win7

alternatively have them both connected and set the bios boot order with priority to the win7 hdd or to the xp hdd as required, so you can chose which one to boot using the bios to set that priority boot order. this allows dual boot to occur

its even possible to add 3 hdd and have one with xp , one with vista and one with win7, the possibilities are endless. but I suspect the OP hasnt got win7 pro or win7 ult and so would rule out that os for this task, as he is more likely to have win7 starter or basic or home premium which is what most win7 owners have

get the correct tools and any job is possible, but to try and build a stud wall using a pebble as a hammer because you no longer own a proper hammer is foolish
    thanks ech looks like ive got to drag my old pb tower from the loft thats got it always used it to do my old dm on it and your right it does have rs232 as the same as the db going back to older post dont want to put things in the bin thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    exactly m8

think back to the tools you used 6 or more years ago when you used a dm500s or a tm1500; when win7 wasnt even in anybodys think tank and vista was due out in 2007 so not even that option either

an old tower and xp would have been what you used back then , and its no different now

if you had a classic car with AF or WHITWORTH nuts and bolts there is little point looking in your new toolbox at all the METRIC spanners and sockets that wont fit, and although an adjustable spammer or mole grips may suffice its hardly ideal. but obtaining and using the correct tools that were used at the time would definitely get things done, as is the case for this dm500s

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

kennyboy (04-10-2012), supergab (11-10-2012)

Thanks
    I agree with Echelons post 100%.
    I had similar problems when it came to reflashing a 500s, no RS 232 port on my Laptop.
    I rushed out and purchased a RS 232 to usb lead. Just did not work for me!!!!
    I initially flashed my box with the help of a neighbour using his old tower system and a null modem cable.
    I have since purchased a PCMCIA to RS-232 serial DB9 cardbus adapter card for under a tenner from the well known ******* site and installed it to my laptop.
    Flashing the 500s is now a simple task. Currently running Neutrino Commando 14.6 on my receiver, superb image has everything for 28.2e.
    One last thing my operating system is windows XP.
    Last edited by GrumpyDave; 04-10-2012 at 10:08 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyDave For This Useful Post:

echelon (04-10-2012), kennyboy (04-10-2012)

Thanks
    thanks for replys ive just been playing about with the db and its got gp release 3.6.0. kernel 2.6.9 ive tryed to telnet into box with root and dream but it looks like password as been changed so ive got to go in loft and get tower out with xp on it. its got the latest dreamup on it so with the rs 232 cable and ethernet lead it should do the job am i right in saying thanks.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kennyboy For This Useful Post:

echelon (04-10-2012)

Thanks
    thanks for replys can any1 recommend a image for this box should i go for a maxvar or nfi image got xp all set but not sure what to put on box thanks.

im looking for something i can put extera url for cams thanks.
    Last edited by kennyboy; 04-10-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyboy View Post
    thanks for replys can any1 recommend a image for this box should i go for a maxvar or nfi image got xp all set but not sure what to put on box thanks.

im looking for something i can put extera url for cams thanks.
    Do not try to flash an nfi image on your box .They are only for DM 500hd-DM 600-DM 800 and DM 8000 models.
    You need to find an img image for your DM 500S.
    Pli images would be a safe bet. Maxvar images will give you up to 1mb extra var space.
    At the end of the day it is really down to the individual as to what image you flash on to you receiver.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyDave For This Useful Post:

kennyboy (04-10-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDave View Post
    Do not try to flash an nfi image on your box .They are only for DM 500hd-DM 600-DM 800 and DM 8000 models.
    You need to find an img image for your DM 500S.
    Pli images would be a safe bet. Maxvar images will give you up to 1mb extra var space.
    At the end of the day it is really down to the individual as to what image you flash on to you receiver.

thanks i was looking at that nemesis 4.4 with cccam in it. like i say lost touch with these boxes since i had hd thanks