Thread: Re-Aligning Dish

Thanks

Re-Aligning Dish

It's been a good few years since I put my dish up so I need some reminding even after reading the guides again.

My Longitude is -7.21 so if I would use 7W NILESAT as my true south if I remember correctly?

I set my position details under USALS of my new Spiderbox and send the motor to 7W NILESAT. I never used USALS so this is a first.

Dish Pointer states the dish elevation is around 27.9 for 7W NILESAT so I set the dish to around that figure. I am using a Triax 110 so I don't no how exact the marking is on that dish.

What is a strong channel to use when moving the dish towards the satellite as I've been moving the dish around for the past hour to no avail? I am not sure what sat I used as true south when it was first setup as I could never get all the sats as the arc was off.

Blue sky is disappearing so any help would be nice.

I am using one of those meters which the loudness of the buzzing noise determines the distance to the satellite so it doesn't take long to get a headache.

EDIT: I notice on Dish Pointer that the LNB Scew is -0.3. Am I supposed to set this as mine is currently set to 0?

Cheers
    Last edited by Scream; 02-09-2012 at 05:44 PM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    0 skew is fine if you have trouble locating 7w 8w will be easier to locate with a small dish but you should get a lock with the 1.1m dish if not too far north

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    at 7w the lnb would be skewed but in your case it only seems slightly skewed

as for 7w , make sure your receiver has the correct usals and tell it to go to 7w

then check an fta channel like fox on 11296 H 27500 which I managed to get east of you with the same dish

and al-fayhaa tv on 11219 H 27500

or try lining up on 5w on gcpe 1 or 2 on 12543 H 27500 and TMC on 11554 V 29950 and france 2 and 3 and 5 on 11591 V 20000

my td110 dish is set to about 27 degrees elevation so similar to yours

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts
    The latest list of the strongest Transponders on each Sat can be found in post#8 here:

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...-List-Required

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aldo For This Useful Post:

echelon (02-09-2012)

Thanks
    I need a new meter. Could get nothing when I should have going by the slx meter I have and then I head into the house and on the tv I have a picture. Quality is poor but I get a picture.

Any suggestions for a reliable meter at a reasonable price?

Cheers for the help also.

Thanks
    The mount takes care of skew as it tilts the dish so leave it set to zero. Unfortunately, if memory serves me correctly, you won't get any transponders from Nilesat with a 110cm dish from where you are. Check here _http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/atlantic.html

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,403 Posts
    Just get a cheap meter, around £5-£6, this will do for initially finding the satellite, and getting a strong enough signal to get a picture.
    a96fg.jpg
    Last edited by Mickha; 03-09-2012 at 09:53 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

echelon (03-09-2012)

Thanks
    I tend not to bother with meters, little point unless you get a rover or laguna or wolsey or horizon ( all cars? LOL ) and in any case its what your sight and sound tell you is right or wrong, not a meter

I have a small white satfinder that makes a noise and the pitch changes when its on a satellite, it doesnt tell you which satellite , just that there is one there
    then I would use an old sat box or preferably my spiderbox to tell me which satellite am on by using a premade channel list on the box, and use channels that are exclusive to one satellite so you know its correct

so lets say I use THE VAULT on 28e, or vintage tv or bbc1, then I know when I am on 28e, and then peak the signal using the box itself, you can press the INFO button twice on a spiderbox and use the sig and quality to peak the box and ignore the shrill noise of the satfinder by using your human brain to tune it out. this was how I setup a new zone 2 sly dish on saturday, using cheap audible satfinder and a spiderbox and a flatscreen portable tv to see it all on

there is far too much emphasis placed on gadgets nowadays, like apps for iphones or ipads or androids, it doesnt teach you the basics of this hobby at all, it may help locate a satellite but you cannot beat testing using a box and a portable tv and letting your eyes and ears tell you what is good or bad

If I were to pick up a suitcase and its heavy, I dont need it actually weighing to know that its heavy, my human abilities tell me its heavy and to remove some items from it and I have an idea when its something like 20kg or less. actually weighing it is an aid to the final outcome of it passing the check in desk weigh in machine only.

ps:- mine is similar to the slx satfinder but mine hasnt got the led indicators on it (its a few years old now)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    My slx has the analogue dial on it but the pitch never really changes. Tested it on my sly dish and it does the same so I could be locked onto a sat but the pitch never changes even the dial. It's not the first dodgy slx I have had so time for a new one. I might go for the led one this time.

So instead of 7w, I should go for 5w as it would be much easier?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    5 west would be far easier and 11553V 29950 TMC. I have to say i have never used a sat metre, always used my trusty humax 2000.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gadstamut For This Useful Post:

echelon (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    using usals it doesnt really matter which you use, although my preference is to start at the top of the arc so 5w or 7w or 8w in your case