Thread: Dreambox or VU+ ?

Thanks

Dreambox or VU+ ?

I would of saved up enough money on Monday to buy one of these boxes but which one is the best to get?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,192 Times in 1,181 Posts
    Ive never owned a DMM box but have had the Vu duo for approx 18 months or so

Can only speak as i find & can say its been a great box & well worth the money ive paid for it

Support has been excellent with all major image makers creating one for this box

Ive had no issues (hope i dont speak to soon) current image ive got on box has been on for months as it works fine

Current image is by Blackhole Team -have tried the rest & are all decent

Have heard some folk say the sd image isnt great but havent noticed as tend to watch mainly HD versions

There is a newer version of duo but cant remember what its called-photos of it look good

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Can honestley say im pleased with the Vu+ Solo, took a little bit to set up, got there in the end using Blackhole latest image and Catseye channel list whom i must thank for the support he gives!
    Last edited by charlie; 29-09-2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamlife View Post
    I would of saved up enough money on Monday to buy one of these boxes but which one is the best to get?
    Dreambox or Copy ?

The real thing for me ! even if i like VU+

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Have a DM8000 and V+Duo, if funds arent a problem the DM8K all day long.
    Far better but a lot more £

V.I.P
    Thanks
    If you are just after lots of TV Spiderbox style then I understand the Protek is rather good. I am aware that many of the enthusiasts here like the VU and for the money I am sure it is good, but having grown up with a DB 7000 I can honestly say that if you have the money DB8000 every time. A full media centre with DVD writer/player and 1.5 tb HDD all running without flaw. Still learning lots too!! PS i just love changing images and systems and it is very good natured. LOL. Brain

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by passete View Post
    Dreambox or Copy ?

The real thing for me ! even if i like VU+
    Copy.....?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Copy of What ? they are two boxes and Different HW .......Enigma Image not own by DMM....By snaky way they PUT THE only "Enigma" name IN TRADE MARKET two different thinks just for clarification...If they own Enigma name do not mean they OWN the Work of many teams who do Enimga 1-2 images ...

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Copy of DM - chinese I expect. i dont think DMM claimed that enigma was theirs either. P was just expressing a preference, and I did give Spider a mention for you!! LOL. Cheers - brain

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DARKMAN View Post
    Copy.....?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Copy of What ? they are two boxes and Different HW .......Enigma Image not own by DMM....By snaky way they PUT THE only "Enigma" name IN TRADE MARKET two different thinks just for clarification...If they own Enigma name do not mean they OWN the Work of many teams who do Enimga 1-2 images ...
    yeah, your boxes are far better
    Where was VU+ 3 Years ago ? ...
    yeah i know, copying the existing MIPS Processor architecture ... from the DM ones ?
    No, i'm just bul****ing ...

PS: No hard feelings m8

Thanks
    Stay away from DM clones or copies and the related SIM card problems, and go for a Vu+ Duo. It's the best value for money around when it comes to linux boxes.
    You'll have to read a bit and have friends with cards to get the best out of it, but the learning process is great fun anyway.
    I have always regarded the VTi images as the best for all round performance as the Black Hole images leave a bit to be desired in regards to multimedia functions.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I bought the Duo a while back. IIRC prices have dropped since the newer Vu models came out. The Vu DUO does everything I want. Relatively easy to set up.

Thanks
    Dreambox
    The Dreambox is a series of Linux-powered DVB satellite, terrestrial and cable digital television receivers (set-top box), produced by German multimedia vendor Dream Multimedia. The Linux-based production software originally used by Dreambox was originally developed for DBox2, by the Tuxbox project. The Dbox2 was a proprietary design distributed by KirchMedia for their pay TV services. The bankruptcy of KirchMedia flooded the market with unsold boxes available for Linux enthusiasts. The Dreambox shares the basic design of the DBox2, including the Ethernet port and the PowerPC processor.
    Its firmware is officially user-upgradable, since it is a Linux-based computer, as opposed to third-party "patching" of alternate receivers. All units support Dream's own DreamCrypt conditional access (CA) system, with software-emulated CA Modules (CAMs) available for many alternate CA systems. The built-in Ethernet interface allows networked computers to access the recordings on the internal hard disks on some Dreambox models. It also enables the receiver to store digital copies of DVB MPEG transport streams on Network file systems or broadcast the streams as IPTV to VideoLAN and XBMC Media Center clients. Unlike many PC based PVR systems that use free-to-air type of DVB receiver cards, the built-in conditional access allows receiving and storing encrypted content.
    In 2007, Dream Multimedia also introduced a non-Linux based Dreambox receiver, the DM100, their sole to date, running on unspecified hardware, but still featuring an Ethernet port and a USB port. The speed of the USB port is not specified, the manufacturer only says it is of B type, the one found on peripherals connected to PCs. There have been a number of different models of Dreambox available.
    • DM 7000 (discontinued)
    • DM 5600, DM 5620 (discontinued)
    • DM 500 (discontinued), DM 500+, DM500HD
    • DM 7020
    • DM 7025, DM 7025+
    • DM 600 PVR
    • DM 800HD / DM 800HD SE PVR
    • DM 8000 HD PVR

Vu+
    The Vu+ is a series of Linux-powered DVB satellite, terrestrial digital television receivers (set-top box), produced by German multimedia vendor Satco Europe GmbH. Its firmware is officially user-upgradable, since it is a Linux-based computer, as opposed to third-party "patching" of alternate receivers. Firmware is based on Enigma2, which was originally designed for Dreambox by Dream Multimedia. All units support Conax conditional access (CA) system, with software-emulated CA Modules (CAMs) available for many alternate CA systems. The built-in Ethernet interface allows networked computers to access the recordings on the internal hard disks and stream live picture from the tuners. It also enables the receiver to store digital copies of DVB MPEG transport streams on networked filesystems or broadcast the streams as IPTV to VideoLAN and XBMC Media Center clients. Unlike many PC based PVR systems that use free-to-air type of DVB receiver cards, the built-in conditional access allows receiving and storing encrypted content.
    In the beginning of September in 2011 Dream Multimedia issued a temporary injunction against the Satco Europe GmbH company for using their "Enigma 2" name in an advertising flyer to promote the Linux operating system installed on the Vu+ set-top-boxes, as "Enigma2" is a registered trademark name of Dream Multimedia GmbH.
    In the middle of September in 2011 at Vu+ Day in Amsterdam it was announced that the next-generation Vu+ DVB satellite receivers to be released publicly in the end of 2012 will be using XBMC Media Center software for its GUI, a development project that they call XBMC4STB (XBMC for Set-Top-Boxes).

Source : wikipedia

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Which telly have you got?

Do you want multimedia as well?!?

Do you need to upscale, when watching movies/videos from NAS etc.?I

Is 1080p a necessity, in other words? For example, 1080i is crap, if you ask me, when you wanna use the whole screen...

So, if that is a yes - ET9x00, because they do have 1080p...

AZbox HD is better in that regard but don't buy that!

Thanks
    After 4 DMM boxes VU boxes came like a breath of fresh air.
    With each DM box there was some hardware fault, so I needed to fix it. Not to mention that they were extremely overpriced.

Now I have Vu duo and Vu uno, not a single problem. Also they are inexpensive.

Thanks
    DM800 Pro here,but i would buy the SE next without hesitation..I thank spiderbox for the stepping stone/learning curve.But lets be honest,every one likes to play with their box/image and you cant do that with a close source box..Dreambox for me all day....Clones are just fine in my opinion..Great debate..