Thread: When are the premier league tv rights next up for tender?

Thanks

When are the premier league tv rights next up for tender?

Abu Dhabi's viewing rights expire at the end of next season, does anybody know when the next contracts are announced?

Thanks
    Bidding is about to start I believe.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Been a lot of stuff on this. The PTB seem to think Abu will get it again but Al Jaz have been buying up all the football they can. I started a post about how much an Al J card would go up if they got the prem. What we need in the UK is a non European to buy it and broadcast all matches with English com and not be bothered if the FA/controllers kick up a fuss, and have it on 13,19 or 1w. So we can all get it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gadstamut View Post
    Been a lot of stuff on this. The PTB seem to think Abu will get it again but Al Jaz have been buying up all the football they can. I started a post about how much an Al J card would go up if they got the prem. What we need in the UK is a non European to buy it and broadcast all matches with English com and not be bothered if the FA/controllers kick up a fuss, and have it on 13,19 or 1w. So we can all get it.
    That sounds pretty much what everybody would be happy with. Unfortunately if JSC got the rights and they started showing all saturday 3pms at 13east then I think Sly would certainly be up in arms about it. I hope JSC get it cos they do a good job with the Championship and Champions League stuff, despite the dodgy picture sometimes.

Thanks
    Everybody thought the Karen Murphy case was going to open the gates to easier access footy. In fact it has produced the opposite effect.

You can buy what ever card you want but:

The EPL will not be leaving the door open on any provider card that can be easily viewed/received at 3pm in the UK by any pub. The situation will be much the same as it now. The EPL have wised up.

Thanks
    @bononovox

If JSC were to get the rights for the EPL, then surely Sly would have no say in what is able to be shown or at what time or by whom, because they would have been outbid by JSC for the EPL, then it maybe up to the FA as to what games could be shown and at what times, but as they are manipulated by Sly, that should not be a problem, just my opinion, for what it is worth.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    Everybody thought the Karen Murphy case was going to open the gates to easier access footy. In fact it has produced the opposite effect.
    It did make things worse for the individual home user, no doubt about that. I have noticed that a lot of providers have dropped their English commentary during the past season and that has to be pressure from sly all caused by this pub case.

@Aldo
    Can't see JSC getting it to be honest. Would be great in my opinion as they do a good job with what they have now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bonovox View Post
    It did make things worse for the individual home user, no doubt about that. I have noticed that a lot of providers have dropped their English commentary during the past season and that has to be pressure from sly all caused by this pub case.

@Aldo
    Can't see JSC getting it to be honest. Would be great in my opinion as they do a good job with what they have now.
    I think that we may have to look at the broader picture, the Murdoch's reputation is in tatters, do the FA want people with so many question marks against their credibilty, not only here in the UK but also in the USA, running the best football league in the world at the present time, and would they ( The Mudoch's ) be able to outbid the money laden Arabic States for the EPL Rights ( I think not ) and if they were to lose those rights, how many viewers would Sly lose ( Not only Clubs & Pubs ) but home viewers also, so many questions and not enough answer's yet, but it will be interesting to see how things pan out for the benefit of the home users.

Thanks
    Sly is defo the reason why the EPL is popular world wide & the FA are greatful/loyal for this. Unless JSC come in with a truely massive bid I can't see them winning the UK's viewing rights. The coverage of English games is without doubt the best in the world, imagine how much better the Spanish league would be if they had all the extra cameras in the ground to zoom in on the action like sly do.

As for the middle east, for me I hope it stays with Abu Dhabi. The product really is top notch at an outstanding price. Unless JSC will go down the same lines with every game in HD + the extra English language channels such as Nat Geo & Fox movies as well.

Thanks
    Highest bidder wins, end of.

Thanks
    Everyone keeps forgetting:

The EPL do not want 3 pms shown in the UK - period. Otherwise - Sky would have had those UK rights already - so the EPL are not going to grant them to someone else to show here from abroad.

If Sky or someone else did have UK 3 pm rights - we wouldn't be having this thread - none of it would matter....

Thanks
    As The EPL is run by Sly, it was they that introduced the 3pm Blackout in the UK:

3pm Blackout

No games kicking off at 3 pm on a Saturday, the traditional British kick-off time, may be broadcast live on television in Britain, with the exceptions of the FA Cup Final and the Scottish Cup Final. This is to ensure attendances at lower league games taking place at the same time as Premier League fixtures that might otherwise be broadcast on television. To avoid this blackout, the last day of the Premier League, when all ten games must kick off simultaneously, is always played on a Sunday.

Live radio broadcasts are permitted, both nationally and locally; these may be simulcast on the internet, depending on the broadcaster. Viewers outside the UK can still watch these games live on foreign broadcasters, thus creating somewhat of a grey market within the UK with viewers able to subscribe to or watch streams of foreign channels.

The Premier League and Sky maintain that, while grey market viewing of games is not illegal on the part of the viewer, it is illegal for anyone (such as a public house) to make such services openly available. This has in the past lead to heavy fines for public houses in the United Kingdom which have shown 3:00 games in their establishments. More recently, the legality of such fines has been disputed, and a number of Crown Court cases have been reported in which publicans successfully challenged the Premier League's position.[13]

In recent years, Sky Sports has shown 3 pm games on tape delay on their Football First show, either in full or as extended highlights.

Further info here:

Last edited by Aldo; 13-04-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks
    Code:
    http://www.uefa.com/uefa/events/tv/news/newsid=19817.html
    All uefa blackouts listed in link.

Article 48 of the UEFA Statutes deals with the audiovisual and radio transmission regulations of national associations.

Updated information
    As part of the service for national associations and their broadcasters, the UEFA legal affairs unit provides an updated list of the blocked broadcasting hours.

IX. Media: Audiovisual and radio transmissions

Article 48: Exclusive rights
    1. UEFA and the member associations shall have the exclusive rights to broadcast and use, as well as to authorise the broadcast or use by picture, sound or other data carriers of any kind (including data carriers that have yet to be developed), matches which come within their jurisdiction, either live or recorded, in whole or as excerpts.

Regulations
    2. The UEFA Executive Committee shall issue regulations governing the implementation of these rights.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    As The EPL is run by Sly, it was they that introduced the 3pm Blackout in the UK:

3pm Blackout :
    That is not correct. There has _never_ been live 3pm league football in the UK - it is not a new thing.

Live UK 3pm football has been broadcast abroad in some form since the late 60's.