Thread: Network problem / Nameserver not found

Thanks

Network problem / Nameserver not found

Hi

I wonder if anyone can offer any advice please? I'm seemingly unable to get a connection out of my AZBox to the big wide world of the internet. I connect via another PC (that's on my home network) using dedicated IP addresses, and in the LAN tests, I get, as you would expect, green ticks to say that I'm connected, that I have an IP address, that DHCP is disabled, but what I don't get is a nameserver confirmation.

I've tried using 192.168.2.1 (the PC), 194.168.4.100 & 194.168.8.100 (Virgin's nameservers) and also 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.8.4 (Google's nameservers) but the network test just stalls at the last hurdle. The PC has internet connectivity, I just don't understand why the AZBox isn't getting through.

As another test, I tried to see what would happen when using YouTube on AZBox, but didn't get any playlists downloaded.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Hello everyone.

@uk_martin

I don't have an AZbox but the communications setup shouldn't be that different to other boxes, so for the Gateway section have you set it to your routers IP address and not your PC's address as that is the only thing I know that might stop communication to the Internet. You can use a different Nameserver address other than the one that the router reports as it won't make any difference (my box uses a different one from the router).

Regards to all,

Peckish

Thanks
    My PC and the AZ Box network to each other using a CAT5 cable and fixed IP's (192.168.2.1 & 192.168.2.2) as they are in the same cabinet in the living room.

The PC is then part of the Home Wifi Network using DHCP (192.168.0.?) The router is upstairs.

This configuration worked with my old Dreambox. Can't understand why it shouldn't work any more.

Thanks

Martin

Thanks
    Just checked, I've got 4 IP's for nameservers listed in my AZBox, and one of them is 192.168.0.1 - my Virginmedia router.

V.I.P
    Thanks

Receiver IP addressing

Hello everyone.

@uk_martin

You didn't mention which operating system was running on your PC but if it is Windows 7 then try the following.

1. In the Network Connection section right click on your Wireless connection and select 'properties'. In the properties section click on the 'sharing' tab and share the wireless Internet connection with the local area connection. This will turn on Internet connection sharing and assign an IP address of 192.168.137.1 to your LAN port. You now have to select 'Allow other users to connect through this computers Internet connection'.

2. In the network properties section of your LAN card DON'T give it a fixed IP. Instead leave it set at 'Obtain IP address automatically and obtain DNS automatically'.

3. In the network properties of your AZbox use the following settings:

DHCP - No
    IP address - 192.168.137.2
    Netmask - 255.255.255.0
    Use Gateway - Yes
    Gateway - 192.168.137.1

Change Nameserver to 192.168.137.1

I'm don't know what's actually in the menu setup for an AZbox but I don't suppose it's too different from other receivers so just adjust the above settings to suit.

Regards to all,

Peckish

Thanks
    I've got Windoze Vista for my sins, but your tip about the check box in the sharing tab helped me to find where the problem was at. Gawd knows why it ever unchecked itself, but re-checking that box and rebooting, sorted the matter out admirably!

Thanks for your help.

Martin