I have recently purchased a AZbox Premium HD which is my first experience of Linux based received. It came with an Enigma2 image loaded and the Spaze skin as well as other tools (CorssEPG, Coot TV Guide etc).

I have managed to break the box. It was working fine until I had to unplug it to fit my new TV (my son broke the screen of my old one ). When I restarted it I found the programme guide (saved to external HDD) was not working. I ran the download again, reloaded the programmes and then went to reboot the box.

During the reboot it recognised that I had a new TV and went through a wizard to set up the TV setting (from what I remember I selected HDMI > 1080p > 60htz). Then the screen went blank. I rebooted the box and it said ‘VFD ready’ and then goes onto ‘Starting bootup’ but does not go any further. Tried to hook it up to the old TV, HDD etc just to kick it back to life but it seems to have died on me (I think form what I have read on forums).

I need to find a way of recovering the system (similar to Windows – sorry for having to use the W word). I liked the box with the e2 and Spaze and recovering it back to that mode would be ideal but it looks like I may have to get it back to the original AZ firmeware to get the box back up and running.

I have read up on quite a few posts (seems to be a common issue when doing an image update / load) about using Jazup or loading from a USB stick with a ‘patch.bin’ file. Also read about jtag but not very keen on opening up the box (unless it just a case of connecting adaptor and it jolts it back to life).

What I am struggling to understand which is the best option for my situation as most issue are as a result of image update / load. The Jazup seems to require IP address but the box does not go far enough in the bootup to show any signs of the IP address. The USB stick with a ‘patch.bin’ file options looks good (I should be able to use my HDD once formatted), but I do not understand what the box will be recovered to. Will it go back to the E2 image or the original FW (not a total disaster if it gets the AZ FW as I have not had a change to see what that is like).

There is lots of info online but its knowing which is the best approach or option for me that I can use quickly and easily (relatively speaking). What im looking for is someone to say ‘your box is dead or not’, ‘use the batch.bin file (link to file) to get ip address’ then use ‘Jazup (or something else) to reload / recover your box back to E2 or original FW??? If that is what needs to be done.

Thanks you in advance for your help.