Thread: VU+ or another: Please advise

Thanks

VU+ or another: Please advise

I would like to buy one of the VU+ boxes or another similar box. Maybe duo, uno or ultimo and I would like to know which one of them is the best choice.

I used to have Topfield TF7700HDPVR and I was able to record another channel while I watch one. I use motor on my dish and only have one LNB. Which of the VU+ boxes could perfectly do this?

Does the VU+ boxes clear many channels? Please advise on the right HD box for my needs taking into consideration, my config. Recommendations are welcomed. Thanks

Thanks
    Seeing as the Duo is coming up to nearly 2 years old now but still a great machine as you are well aware technology moves fast and the Uno and Ultimo have faster processor's faster ram better video processor's that allow PIP.

The choice is yours really if you want a twin tuner to record and watch another then the Duo will be fine if you only want a single then the Uno would be the one to go for, also consider other machines like A DM original or clone or maybe an Xtrend/Clarke tech 5000/6000 9000/9200.

If you have deep pockets then the Ultimo would be the dogs danglies just waiting on mine arriving.

Thanks
    In what ways is the ultimo better than the duo?

I have the duo, and was just wondering if it was upgrading.

dog-man

Thanks
    But still DM8000 is the only doing true PIP with HD channels.

Thanks
    I personally would like a box that I can clear channels and sometimes also record. In what way does the duo make recording possible when I have only one LNB on the motor which normally goes straight to the box and the duo has got only 2turners?

can i decode channels with the duo?

East of Ipswich. TM9100 on 1.2m CM Spiderbox on 1.8m CM. HD linux next
    Thanks
    As you only have 1 lnb unless you plan to change it and add a extra cable to the dish you are best staying with 1 tuner.
    Therefore Solo or Uno.
    I have a VU+ Uno and DM800HD-se.
    The VU is just as good as the DM only half the price.
    If you add a H/Drive yes you can record and lots more via the ethernet/internet
    If you do not have a card to barter with you will have only Free to air and very few channels on softcam so not a lot to watch.
    There is payservers they are hit and miss and expect to loose some money or get ripped off, if you are recieving something you are not ment to have there is little protection.
    So get you own card then work with people with different ones
    The Uno and Ultimo are replaceing the solo and duo they have faster processors and more memory so can do a bit more on the hop.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    m8 I don't know why you want to go from Topfield to a linux box. its quite a step.
    I had a toppy 7700 which died a week or so before xmas 2010. I bought a spiderbox 9000HD from sponsor GW and with the assistance of the forum here discovered the world of ethernet and its a great HD box.
    Have a read there before you decide and also look at the Eagles too - unbelievable prices for HD boxes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tr8. View Post
    As you only have 1 lnb unless you plan to change it and add a extra cable to the dish you are best staying with 1 tuner.
    Therefore Solo or Uno.
    I have a VU+ Uno and DM800HD-se.
    The VU is just as good as the DM only half the price.
    If you add a H/Drive yes you can record and lots more via the ethernet/internet
    If you do not have a card to barter with you will have only Free to air and very few channels on softcam so not a lot to watch.
    There is payservers they are hit and miss and expect to loose some money or get ripped off, if you are recieving something you are not ment to have there is little protection.
    So get you own card then work with people with different ones
    The Uno and Ultimo are replaceing the solo and duo they have faster processors and more memory so can do a bit more on the hop.
    I could also run the extra cable but the problem is how does this work with the motor setup? If this gets complicated, maybe I will have to go the Uno way then... I am planning to buy a receiver with HDD - my old Topfield came with 750GB

Yes I can get a card, that is no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wossname View Post
    m8 I don't know why you want to go from Topfield to a linux box. its quite a step.
    I had a toppy 7700 which died a week or so before xmas 2010. I bought a spiderbox 9000HD from sponsor GW and with the assistance of the forum here discovered the world of ethernet and its a great HD box.
    Have a read there before you decide and also look at the Eagles too - unbelievable prices for HD boxes.
    I have been made to understand that a Linux box is superior!

I have already got rid of the Topfield long time ago. I have been without a sat box now for almost a year if not over a year now & I think it is right time now to get one.
    Last edited by bjluv; 08-01-2012 at 06:07 AM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    two cables not compicated straight from the twin output lnb to the receiver no need to touch the motor could not be simpler 1TB can be easily added to the duo or even 2TB if needed
    Last edited by satwyn; 08-01-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks
    I have had a Duo for a couple of years and my setup is.
    Tuner A fixed mini dish pointing at 28e
    Tuner B 1.2m dish 42e to 27.5w
    This gives me the option of watching 28e while recording something else on 28e at the same time or any combination. Run an extra cable and go for a twin tuner receiver.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    you could also intall dvbt tuner

Thanks
    Got a warning cuz I replied tr8. and asked how the payservers tr8. mentioned work so no info about that pls... i just need to look at all the options available to me so that I can have a new satbox. thanx

Quote Originally Posted by satwyn View Post
    two cables not compicated straight from the twin output lnb to the receiver no need to touch the motor could not be simpler 1TB can be easily added to the duo or even 2TB if needed
    Do you mean that the LNB has got 2 output so that i can run separate cables to the receiver? How does recording work with this then?

Quote Originally Posted by traveller View Post
    I have had a Duo for a couple of years and my setup is.
    Tuner A fixed mini dish pointing at 28e
    Tuner B 1.2m dish 42e to 27.5w
    This gives me the option of watching 28e while recording something else on 28e at the same time or any combination. Run an extra cable and go for a twin tuner receiver.

It seems you have 2 separate dish in this setup. Am i right? I can only have 1 dish.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    A single (motorised) dish with a single twin LNB (two cables running into the house, either for two receivers with a single tuner each or a single receiver with two tuners [twin tuner rec]):

It gives one a possibility to record something but watch something else or even have PiP (watch two games at the same time, for instance).

One must setup one's receiver with two channel lists, then.

So, tuner A let's you watch something and tuner B lets you record something else.

This can be done on a sat TV single package or multiple packages, with a local (real) smartcard or virtual ones (Card Sharing) or both combined.

For instance, a simple setup:
    ICECRYPT 0.1db Universal Twin LNB

Our price: £25.49 (€29.57)

Xtrend ET9200 HD Silver Line Edition Linux HDTV Twin Tuner Satellite Receiver Supports Dutch HbbTV "Uitzending Gemist"

Our price: £359.00 (€416.44)

Then, one must learn a bit - how to programme/flash a receiver, how to setup one's lists for two different tuners, how to get one's smartcard running, how to record and so on...

Plenty of "howto's" around...

Good luck!
    Last edited by Blagi; 09-01-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bjluv View Post
    Got a warning cuz I replied tr8. and asked how the payservers tr8. mentioned work so no info about that pls... i just need to look at all the options available to me so that I can have a new satbox. thanx

Do you mean that the LNB has got 2 output so that i can run separate cables to the receiver? How does recording work with this then?

It seems you have 2 separate dish in this setup. Am i right? I can only have 1 dish.
    Yes m8, But like i said with two tuners it just gives you extra flexibility. Run an extra cable and then add a twin lnb to your single dish.

Thanks
    Or another dish, but fixed on one satellite.

dog-man