Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F100

Thanks

F100

Like others on here my Spider 9000HD has locked up on this. I've read all the posts on this and have downloaded all relevent repair solutions.
    My question is about the null modem cable ... should it be straight or crossover ... I have an old dell lappy with a 15 pin female and a compaq lappy with the same plus a 25 pin female. The spider has a 9 pin male. The compaq runs windows xp and the dell vista.

Sorry if this has been answered before but I did do a search

cheers

Pm

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Photoman View Post
    Like others on here my Spider 9000HD has locked up on this. I've read all the posts on this and have downloaded all relevent repair solutions.
    My question is about the null modem cable ... should it be straight or crossover ... I have an old dell lappy with a 15 pin female and a compaq lappy with the same plus a 25 pin female. The spider has a 9 pin male. The compaq runs windows xp and the dell vista.

Sorry if this has been answered before but I did do a search

cheers

Pm
    a null modem is always a crossover cable , with female both ends

there is no such thing as a 15 pin serial port , what you have got there is a 15 pin VGA port to connect to a pc monitor or tv

also , the 25 pin port on the pc or laptop is a parallel printer port , not a serial port

a straight wired 9 pin cable is purely used as an extension lead and will be male to female , not female to female

you need a 9 pin serial male port on the pc or laptop ( 9 pins showing ) , and a null modem cable to the same port on the back of your spiderbox

my advice to you is look up these ports on wikipedia and ensure you know what they are , and what they are used for , as clearly you dont at this moment in time

good luck

details and images below

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem

null modem cable

An RS-232 cable used to connect two computers in close proximity for file transfer.
    It attaches to the serial ports of both machines and simulates what would occur naturally if modems and the public phone network were used.
    It crosses the sending wire with the receiving wire.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Photoman (25-11-2011)

Thanks
    Cheers, would a male/male gender changer for the lappy work along with the cable

Pm

Sorry forget it
    Last edited by Photoman; 25-11-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,122 Times in 687 Posts
    If neither laptops have a 9 PIN RS232 port then you'll need a USB to Serial adapter.

BL59209.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hda5 For This Useful Post:

echelon (25-11-2011)

Thanks
    Cheers, would a male/male gender changer for the lappy work along with the cable

Sorry forget it
    I would also recommend you read this thread too

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...ry-tool-issues

as although you say you have done a search of the forum , I would say you did not read that thread

no , a gender changer wont work , but the usb 2 serial adapter hda5 posted about MAY work , depending on drivers and os

my advice is use a proper pc , with standard com port , running XP as an os

Thanks
    I did read that thread and all I got from it is get hold of an old pc or lappy with a com port running xp, the usb adapter is crap and you don't have any patience with anybody who doesn't have your technical knowledge. The whole point of a forum like this is to help others less gifted not to belittle. I try to gain as much knowledge from people like yourself as I can, but christ you do make it hard.

Thanks
    I did read that thread and all I got from it is get hold of an old pc or lappy with a com port running xp, the usb adapter is crap and you don't have any patience with anybody who doesn't have your technical knowledge. The whole point of a forum like this is to help others less gifted not to belittle. I try to gain as much knowledge from people like yourself as I can, but christ you do make it hard.
    well I tried to help , but some people just wont take the advice when its been offered , rabby included

my advice comes from years of experience , either take it or dont take it , I dont care either way , but I do know what i am talking about as a qualified comms engineer who has also built or repaired dozens if not hundreds of pc,s and laptops in his time , as well as offering thousands of advice posts on this forum and other forums too , unlike yourself who has made 3 posts here in 7 years and never helped out anybody at all

I do not have to justify myself , but I will not be offering YOU any more advice from now on with an attitude like yours , your opinions of me are not wanted , werent asked for and are completely irrelevant to the question posed in post 1

and next time you decide to slag off somebody who was genuinely trying to help you , it will be the last time you post !

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Aldo (25-11-2011), skomedal (25-11-2011)

Thanks
    Sorry

Thanks
    just to explain this further , I have several laptops and also several pc,s here , running xp , vista and win7 in various flavours

some have com ports , some dont , most laptops dont as rabby found out

I also have about 4 or 5 of these usb to serial adapters , and also a couple of shop bought null modem cables as well as several null modem cables I made myself , I also have various straight wired extension cables and some gender changers as well

I have tested various combinations of the above using a serial mouse , and samsung 9500 viaci sat box , tm1500 sat box , clarketech 1500 sat box , icecrypt 4000s sat box , netgear routers and a tm9100 sat box too thinking about it

generally speaking I have failed to flash any item in windows 7 , very few in vista , and never a problem using xp from what I remember , especially when the XP items have standard com ports

the serial mouse has always worked in all cases and in all windows versions too

I specifically have 2 old laptops running XP with 9 pin male serial com ports that work on all devices , as well as a tower pc running xp , and several HP or COMPAQ desktops that also run XP and have standard built in 9 pin com ports and will flash all the devices with no problems

many coders including people like coldasice who posts files here , will tell you to use proper pc,s running xp and not usb adapters due to driver issues and sometimes timing issues caused in the conversion process

had you connected up and used the ports you talked about you could have damaged both the laptop and also the spiderbox too , possibly irreparably

so I have done all the tests so you dont have to , and to prevent you damaging your equipment through ignorance or inexperience

you have a £200 spiderbox and a laptop worth between £50 and say £500 , and I do not want you breaking these items through a lack of knowledge on your part , so gave you as much info as I could including linking to other relevant topic or topics that I have posted over the years here

which is why I have no time for the silly methods put forward by those trying a "work around" like rabby

do a job correctly , with the correct tools , and it should be fine ( a bad workman always blames his tools )

ask for help from experienced users , and then to ignore it or call that advice into question , beggars belief

my answers to yourself were courteous , informative , provided links or pictures , and were designed to prevent you falling into the same trap as mr rabby-knows-best , he is somebody who posts here a lot , belittles others a lot , likes to take on mods and admins , and never ever helps anyone except himself , ie:- all effin talk , mr I am , with no evidence to back him up , who has been banned from more forums than you or I have had hot dinners

so I will leave my advice here , take it or leave it , that is your choice , but do not try to call into question the advice being given or the credentials of those offering it or you run the risk of never being answered on the forums again , one point about a forum is that those who dont know are fed the correct info by those that do , so you are bound to get somebody more experienced than you answering your questions , and its quite right that those offering it expect that advice to be heeded and followed , sometimes to the very letter and exactitude

ie:- never bite the hand that feeds you

nuff said

rant over

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Sorry
    It does not necessarily have to be an old Tower PC, as long as it has an RS232 Com Port, and it could be running Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate as opposed to Windows XP, as posted in the thread that echelon linked you to, and further more you were totally out of order to make such an outrageous comment about echelon, the person who has done more to assist and guide members of this forum than you could ever dream of, and I just wonder if your opinion was based on the thread that you were linked to:

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...ry-tool-issues

Thanks
    I never came on here to question your input or expertise. Over the seven years that you mention, I have not had many occasions were the advise that you and all the knowledgable posters on here have not answered my questions or issues by me reading the relevent posts and I thank you all for that. I have not got any technical ability to answer posters problems hence not helping other people (blind leading the blind) I realise that you get ****ed with people asking the same questions and I can't blame you at all, but some of us do genuinely appreciate all the work you put in to help. Again, sorry but your reply did come accross as condiscending although I realise now that it wasn't meant that way. Am I forgiven

V.I.P
    Thanks
    no lol

mister-t

Thanks
    in this thread I did not have a go at you , or try to belittle you , or to take the p*** of any ignorance on your part

the details I gave you were highly relevant to your problem , and in that other thread I sought to make you aware of others who had tried and failed and not taken heed of my advice , I gave him the correct answer in my first reply in post 2 , and yet he went on and on goading me about it , what do you expect ? gifts and flowers ?

you had also said you had searched for the info and failed to find it , well I know for a fact that I and others have posted this info hundreds of times on satpimps and satdudez as I have been here over 10 years

that info never changes , but the tools members use do , which is why rabby is failing , I didnt want you to fall into that same trap as its quite clear he had done his utmost to prove me wrong ,and failed miserably , but I did not have a go at you and sought to give you every possible guidance from post number 2 onwards

a sensible person would look at the failures of others and seek not to repeat those failures , and not spend money unwisely on the wrong items , and not "blow up" his equipment in the process either by incorrect connections

as for forgiveness , that remains to be seen , but I hope you and others read this and accept theat a forum also helps those who dont know , by those who do , and as I have been here over 10 years and have a lot of experience at this , I believe I can be allowed to put that info on here in the knowledge its 100% correct , but assuming you are a photographer ( of which I know nothing at all ) , I would expect you to impart your vast experience to me by the same standpoint

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Aldo (25-11-2011), BOOGIBEAR (25-11-2011), mister-t (25-11-2011), skomedal (25-11-2011)

Thanks
    I will be off to a car booty tomorrow to try and get the pc you mention. I will also try a usb to serial adapter.

anyone know the best place to get one Asap

Pm

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Photoman For This Useful Post:

echelon (25-11-2011)

Thanks
    computer fairs , electronic shops , auction sites , all over the place m8

and if it does work , fine , no problem from me , I sincerely hope it does , but my experience with them says it doesnt , and believe me I have tried

Thanks
    Some have had success, probably most havn't. It's a case of doing something while I'm trying to source an older pc/lappy.

Cheers

Pm

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Photoman For This Useful Post:

echelon (25-11-2011)

Thanks
    Some have had success, probably most havn't. It's a case of doing something while I'm trying to source an older pc/lappy.

Cheers

Pm
    agreed , so dont spend too much money on it when an old pc off a car boot for a fiver , or free from gumtree , will do the job

Thanks
    Already orderd from Am**on. Null cable £1.74, USB to RS232 converter £2.98, free delivery.
    If it don't work hey-ho, only the cost of a pint.

Pm

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Photoman For This Useful Post:

echelon (25-11-2011)

Thanks
    fair enough , and I hope it works too , but if not go to plan b and get a proper pc with 9 pin com port running xp , thats all I ask of you ( and all I asked r*bby to do too )

Thanks
    Oh, I'll still get an old pc even if it does work, "Belts & Braces"

Pm

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Photoman For This Useful Post:

echelon (25-11-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast