Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: recovery tool issues ?

Thanks

recovery tool issues ?

bob

Is this 9900 recovery tool Working m8 ?? Got a [ F 100 ] On my spiderbox 9900HD ?? Says it is connected at [115200 ] Nothing Happens

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RABBY View Post
    bob

Is this 9900 recovery tool Working m8 ?? Got a [ F 100 ] On my spiderbox 9900HD ?? Says it is connected at [115200 ] Nothing Happens
    any problems are always with members pc or laptops or adapters or null modem cables etc

ideally use an XP pc with com port and null modem cable , nothing else

V.I.P
    Thanks
    it does take a while to connect,but when i used it i had to do it a couple of times before it started to work,what i did find was switching spider box off on rear,run recovery tool then switch back on with
    rear switch on spider seemed to kick it in

mister-t

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mister-t View Post
    it does take a while to connect,but when i used it i had to do it a couple of times before it started to work,what i did find was switching spider box off on rear,run recovery tool then switch back on with

mister-t
    That's not an original observation, I'm afraid.
    That is the only procedure for using it. If you don't power off the spiderbox it can't work.

Thanks
    definitely has to be done from a switch on , to kick it into accepting the serial load , as it was on other boxes I have had in the past

EDIT

NB:- I split this thread from the tools thread posted by BOB and made this a separate thread of its own

the original thread has been closed to stop anyone else posting in it and breaking the rules

the details of that original thread have been posted below by aldo

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mister-t View Post

mister-t
    If you read the instructions included with the recovery tool you would have seen this:

Recovery tool HD9900

1. Switch off STB - ( For me that means Remove Power )
    2. Run download.exe on PC
    3. Select COM port and Press connect button
    4. Press "Choose file" and select the attached HD9900_rs232.bin
    5. Switch on STB
    6. you will see the progress status on PC
    7. STB will auto-reboot after finishing the downloading.

set baud rate at 115200 on your com port in device manager

Added my opinion
    Last edited by Aldo; 19-11-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks
    No need to set the baud rate from device manager,all serial loaders are adjusting the baud when they open the port.
    What can happen though is sometimes the grounding of receiver and pc is not good and you may have to reboot the pc to have the serial port working again.

Thanks
    Hi M8

I think that the info ref the baud was made as additional info as there were some people who did ask what the baud rate should be set at, and the question was also raised on this forum not so long ago, the older and more experienced users do not need to be reminded.

Thanks
    I always set the com port baud rate to 115200 from 9600 , and I have always found it makes things faster when flashing boxes

drive a ferrari behind a milk float and you travel at 5mph , not 200mph
    drive on an open derestricted road where the limit is set to 200mph , you drive at any speed you like , from 5mph to 200mph

Thanks
    Well I am Beat ?? Got Another[ Usb to Serial ] Today ?? Running on my lappy [ XP ] Says it is Connected ?? But Nothing Happens!!!!!!!!!!!!! Strange

Thanks
    Well I am Beat ?? Got Another[ Usb to Serial ] Today ?? Running on my lappy [ XP ] Says it is Connected ?? But Nothing Happens!!!!!!!!!!!!! Strange
    Hi M8

Have you followed all of the instructions in post#6. It does sometimes times take more than one attempt to get the recovery tool to work.
    Last edited by Aldo; 21-11-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks
    Aldo

Yes m8 ? Was Trying Yesterday as well ?? Think I Will get a New Null modem cable tomorrow [ Might be That ] It is a old one ? Used it in the [ Dreambox , humax ] Days!!!!Fooking ****ed OFF ?LOL

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Rabby, f100 does not necessarily mean a problem, did you switch off box at back, then undo lnb and make sure it is wired correctly, reoconnect lnb, power on at back then switch on with remote. If you did all that and still got f100 then its a fault.

Its nigh on impossible to use the usb serial, the easiest is a desktop with serial port and win xp. you also need special drivers with the usb to have any chance. can you access a desktop pc? another option is to get a docking station for laptop with a serial port.

some have got usb to work but after numerous attempts.

i can dig out link for drivers if you want to try that route.

gb-

Thanks
    gbmitie
    Hello m8 ? Had the [Usb @ serial] Working in the Old days ? I No they are a Pain in the Arse? LOL

But there is not many computers or Lapps going about these days with Serial ports

P.S Got the Latest Drivers ? Taa

Will try reconnecting to LNB

Thanks
    Just A Question ?? Does Anyone no WHY ?? They Done away with[ RS232 ] Serial Ports on Computers!!!

Beats ME :boxing_smiley:

Thanks
    Just A Question ?? Does Anyone no WHY ?? They Done away with[ RS232 ] Serial Ports on Computers!!!

Beats ME :boxing_smiley:
    errr, to save money , make items cheaper and not have olde worlde ports they dont think are relevant

which has got feck all to do with spiderboxes , or any other boxes

not having the correct tools for the job is no excuse

yerars ago we had spanners that were whitworth , af and bsp , now its all effin metric , get over it

if you want to use tools to do a certain job , use the correct tools that have been around for 20 years

there are literally millions of pc,s and desktops in the uk that will do the task , but YOU have chosen to have a modern lappy , not running xp and not having a serial port

well tough , new isnt always best , and the old tried and tested ways always win out , like you were told about cellphones

so the fact that your lappy isnt up to scratch doesnt make it a spiderbox issue as the same could be said if you had a tm1500 , a samsung 9500 viaci or a dreambox 500 or humax , you chose to have said modern lappy ffs

if you havent got the correct tools , sort the fooker out , a cheap £5 pc off a car boot will do the job ffs

its not a spiderbox issue , pure and simple

as an old skool professional you should know the correct tools are paramount to getting a job done , so quit whinegeing

Thanks
    echelon

Iff you Read my post m8 ? My Lappy still has [ XP ] On it [ For just these problems ] But as you No ?? I Have 2 :respect-055:

Anyway at the work there is a commputer [ Grave yard ] Will have a look there!!!!!!

I AM NOT BEAT YET ?? Believe ME

P.S Been on the Wine you old FOX:respect-054:

V.I.P
    Thanks

Icon3

When you encounter this type of problem I would suggest you use a Desktop or Tower pc running XP, Windows 7, is not the right tool for this job, unless its Win7 Pro or Win7 Ultimate, that has a standard com port . Or fit a Serial I/O Card. The most successful I have found was the Star Tech PCI 16C550, and connect using a null modem cable.
    Then load up the tools and files, and Reflash your box.

The RS232 standard was needed because a simple cable (1 to 1) was to be used between the two
    units and that means the pinouts on the units had to be reversed. The result is a computer
    port and a modem port that could be connected together by a straight-though cable. In
    some cases, the connector gender was also reversed to designate the configuration type.
    As technology advanced, modems are rarely found and many of the signals are no longer
    used but the legacy of the port differences remains to this day.

Echelon, explanation is as good as any LOL

Looks like you're sorted now M8, but this may be of some use to another member.
    Last edited by bob; 21-11-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Thanks
    echelon

Iff you Read my post m8 ? My Lappy still has [ XP ] On it [ For just these problems ] But as you No ?? I Have 2 :respect-055:

Anyway at the work there is a commputer [ Grave yard ] Will have a look there!!!!!!

I AM NOT BEAT YET ?? Believe ME

P.S Been on the Wine you old FOX:respect-054:
    its still a lappy lacking a com port ( fook usb to serial adapters )

unlike 2 of my hp and dell lappys that DO have a serial com port

neither of which has anything remotely to do with spiderboxes , but a lack of the correct tools on the part of the spiderbox owner ( you, not me )

a man of your calibre and standing from the old school where humax rules along with xp , null modem cables and fifo com ports should not be letting a simple 20 year old task be beyond you

I can assure you that I , ech , have the correct tools for the job

Thanks
    Bob

Running[ Win7 Ultimate] On my Tower PC ?? intresting reading some things can be Done with using Newer Equipment [ The most successful I have found was the Star Tech PCI 16C550 ] Look into this !!!!!!!

OR

Using old tools ??Like OLD [ech ]:woohoo-022:

Back in Times

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast