Thread: Starview SV800 HD

Thanks

Starview SV800 HD

Guys I have just got a new Starview SV800 HD receiver ( its was a bargain ) and can not find any info about it anywhere on the internet.

It comes with a LAN port so I hope I can use this.

If anyone knows where I can look please let me know, it would seem that this box is aimed at the Middle East.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    I have heard of the company , mainly through vm , but not heard of that particular model

Thanks
    Ok looks like in UK its just known as Starview 800 HD.

Just had a look at the back of the box and there is no LAN port, yet on the box it says ethernet. There is a usb slot and also a rs232 port.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keano View Post
    Ok looks like in UK its just known as Starview 800 HD.

Just had a look at the back of the box and there is no LAN port, yet on the box it says ethernet. There is a usb slot and also a rs232 port.
    the newest boxes had a bespoke ethernet dongle for the lan ( rs232c to rj45 ) , unless its hidden beneath a sticker like on other boxes ?

Thanks
    I am stupid in the box there was a device that connects rj45 to the vga, different I suppose but it works. I can ping the receiver but not connect with telnet or ftp.
    If I press 0 on remote I get my receivers IP and at the bottom I get Nserver disconnected. Had a quick google of Nserver and this tells me its something to do with c*bleb*xuk.com

So it looks like like its a closed software box, so unless there is a hidden menu that I can't find or someone writes a update for it that includes newcamd/CCcam server list then there is not a lot I can do with it.

Its a shame because its a nice looking box and its small too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keano View Post
    I am stupid in the box there was a device that connects rj45 to the vga, different I suppose but it works. I can ping the receiver but not connect with telnet or ftp.
    If I press 0 on remote I get my receivers IP and at the bottom I get Nserver disconnected. Had a quick google of Nserver and this tells me its something to do with c*bleb*xuk.com

So it looks like like its a closed software box, so unless there is a hidden menu that I can't find or someone writes a update for it that includes newcamd/CCcam server list then there is not a lot I can do with it.

Its a shame because its a nice looking box and its small too.
    well I did say they used bespoke dongles LOL

sounds like its a cable box given that n server , and is more like the old cable service we dont talk about here

perhaps it has a sat tuner , I cannot tell you , but as you say it seems useless if you cannot patch it or use it , and I havent seen any firmware patches for it ( although I have heard it mentioned before )

Thanks
    Starview SV-800HD Review

The first thing that strikes your eyes when you see the front panel of SV-800 HD is it's very nice LCD display. The display shows the onscreen channel number of the channel we are tuned to. Of course, in standby mode it shows the present time. Behind the front flap you'll find one Common Interface (CI) slot for Conditional Access Modules (CAM). A CAM in combination with a smartcard can be used to to access scrambled programmes. Above the Common Interface slot you'll find a slot for a smartcard. Please insert the smartcard with the chip first facing downwards. The rear panel is equipeed with IF input and output, HDMI interface for HD ready TV sets, RS-232 interface for upgrading receiver software (also via USB) and YPbPr output for those who cannot use HDMI.

Starview did not forget about the power switch, a useful control when software hangs up or we get lost in a strange submenu and are not sure what to do. The remote control unit is well shaped and has a good feel when you press the buttons. Since this is an HDTV receiver it is by default prepared for a 16:9 HD TV set. There is the usual options for for video output and you should have no problem finding the settings you are most happy with.

The installation itself is a smooth process and the first step is to select languages. We have the possibility to set the languages of the OSD, preffered audio, subtitles and teletext including a second preferred choice. For example you can set your native language as the first choice and English as the second one. The second one will only automatically be selected if the first set language is not available.

After languages we move to antenna settings. It is really nice to see all DiSEqC versions available from 1.0 to 1.3 (USALS). Updated C and Ku-band satellites from all over the world are pre programmed and there is the option to add more. The receiver has the capacity to store 5000 TV and Radio channels. There are two different options to scan satellite programmes if the paramaters of the channels are known, please select search mode manual and enter the parameters otherwise please use the search mode Auto where all pre programmed frequencies will be scanned. Starview SV-800 HD took 10 minutes to scan Hotbird (13 East) and appeared to find all channels without any problems. This includes DVB-S, DVB-S2 in 8PSK, MPEG-4 and MPEG-2. SV-800 HD handles S*** from 1 Ms/sec and it's tuner is quite sensitive and everything we expected to to receive in the test location with an 85cm motorised dish was in fact achieved. You can select either FTA or All channels.

Channel edit functions (delete, rename, move, lock and place in favourites) are quite easy to navigate and familiar. Navigating on the second level of EPG by pressing the EPG twice provides complete EPG information for the selected channel. It is possible to scroll between the channels in chronological order for a particular day with cursor up and cursor down keys. By pressing OK key on a corresponding channel the screen will show detailed information for the programme in focus.

Teletext can be activated by pressing the TTX key howerver the most important thing for the owner of an HDTV reciever is the video quality the box provides and this is where I have nothing but praise for the Starview. Not only HDTV channels are displayed perfectly but also the traditional channels can be output as 576p, 720p, or 1080i.

Timers can be used to programme the receiver to wake up and and stop at a certain time and tune to a specific channel. Timers are normally used to record a TV programme through an external USB drice or HDD and the SV-800 is no different.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised at the picture quality and functionality of the box. It comes with an ethernet dongle for connection to you RS232 port (although it works I have yet to find any other function for it Ahem..) maybe for later use. The box is around the size of a DM500 so if your looking for an inexpensive easy to use and setup FTA HD box this is one to look at.

this is the latest file I can find on it ( with no info ) dated may 2011

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    Starview SV-800HD Review

The first thing that strikes your eyes when you see the front panel of SV-800 HD is it's very nice LCD display. The display shows the onscreen channel number of the channel we are tuned to. Of course, in standby mode it shows the present time. Behind the front flap you'll find one Common Interface (CI) slot for Conditional Access Modules (CAM). A CAM in combination with a smartcard can be used to to access scrambled programmes. Above the Common Interface slot you'll find a slot for a smartcard. Please insert the smartcard with the chip first facing downwards. The rear panel is equipeed with IF input and output, HDMI interface for HD ready TV sets, RS-232 interface for upgrading receiver software (also via USB) and YPbPr output for those who cannot use HDMI.

Starview did not forget about the power switch, a useful control when software hangs up or we get lost in a strange submenu and are not sure what to do. The remote control unit is well shaped and has a good feel when you press the buttons. Since this is an HDTV receiver it is by default prepared for a 16:9 HD TV set. There is the usual options for for video output and you should have no problem finding the settings you are most happy with.

The installation itself is a smooth process and the first step is to select languages. We have the possibility to set the languages of the OSD, preffered audio, subtitles and teletext including a second preferred choice. For example you can set your native language as the first choice and English as the second one. The second one will only automatically be selected if the first set language is not available.

After languages we move to antenna settings. It is really nice to see all DiSEqC versions available from 1.0 to 1.3 (USALS). Updated C and Ku-band satellites from all over the world are pre programmed and there is the option to add more. The receiver has the capacity to store 5000 TV and Radio channels. There are two different options to scan satellite programmes if the paramaters of the channels are known, please select search mode manual and enter the parameters otherwise please use the search mode Auto where all pre programmed frequencies will be scanned. Starview SV-800 HD took 10 minutes to scan Hotbird (13 East) and appeared to find all channels without any problems. This includes DVB-S, DVB-S2 in 8PSK, MPEG-4 and MPEG-2. SV-800 HD handles S*** from 1 Ms/sec and it's tuner is quite sensitive and everything we expected to to receive in the test location with an 85cm motorised dish was in fact achieved. You can select either FTA or All channels.

Channel edit functions (delete, rename, move, lock and place in favourites) are quite easy to navigate and familiar. Navigating on the second level of EPG by pressing the EPG twice provides complete EPG information for the selected channel. It is possible to scroll between the channels in chronological order for a particular day with cursor up and cursor down keys. By pressing OK key on a corresponding channel the screen will show detailed information for the programme in focus.

Teletext can be activated by pressing the TTX key howerver the most important thing for the owner of an HDTV reciever is the video quality the box provides and this is where I have nothing but praise for the Starview. Not only HDTV channels are displayed perfectly but also the traditional channels can be output as 576p, 720p, or 1080i.

Timers can be used to programme the receiver to wake up and and stop at a certain time and tune to a specific channel. Timers are normally used to record a TV programme through an external USB drice or HDD and the SV-800 is no different.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised at the picture quality and functionality of the box. It comes with an ethernet dongle for connection to you RS232 port (although it works I have yet to find any other function for it Ahem..) maybe for later use. The box is around the size of a DM500 so if your looking for an inexpensive easy to use and setup FTA HD box this is one to look at.

this is the latest file I can find on it ( with no info ) dated may 2011
    Does it Support Blind Scan ?
    Is there any Clone of this Model ?
    After the above posted software it has no more update or it has ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliraza63 View Post
    Does it Support Blind Scan ?
    Is there any Clone of this Model ?
    After the above posted software it has no more update or it has ?
    no idea , but I suspect the support stopped 2 years ago

we discourage members from using or buying clones on this forum

the spiderbox 6000 HD would be a better and newer option

or if a linux box is required then choose a VU instead

thread closed

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Aliraza63 (29-08-2013), johndubai2015 (30-12-2016)