Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Panny plasma on the way out . What now ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RABBY View Post
    xanadu

Try watching on a LED TV [ Backlight TV ] Blows PLASMA:cheers2:

AS ALWAYS I HAVE THE BEST
    LED TV is just LCD with LED backlight.

Thanks
    xanadu

LED TV is just LCD with LED backlight

But i have the latest m8 [ 3D Super , Intenet Super ]Got the best on the Market [ [3d ] With [ Passive Glasses ] :respect-050:

Just SUPER[ Catch up m8 ] YOU ARE BEHIND TIMES:respect-059:

Thanks
    I don't need 3D TV RABBY....

Already living in the real world...and you don't need special glasses, apart from some that use those available at any optician.

Thanks
    xanadu
    I don't need 3D TV RABBY....

Already living in the real world...and you don't need special glasses, apart from some that use those available at any optician.

Belive me m8 [ JUST SOMTHING ELSE ] You were one that wanted the best [ I HAVE THE BEST ]

Thanks
    i have a good tv RABBY

ive had this for about 5 or 6 years, still very good picture quallity

Goodmans 27 Inch L.C.D TV

Does the job for me

:respect-054:

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Not what any independent reviews says, Rabby...

Any plasma can have "internet", for crying out loud...

And 3D is also not the end of the world - glassless would be interesting but...

Start Trek tech is still some distance away... In the meantime, plasma wins every time!!!

Banned
    Thanks
    ATT MARCO IS YOURS HD?
    I stand to be corrected but i dont think it has hdmi sockets...
    goodmans were dam good sets,,,,
    but i have to admit the lg 47" i have is so good
    and the picture quality is outstanding,, especially the sound
    i have 5.1 attached to it ,, and even when not swtiched on the tellie sound is good,,, LCD wins for me 100%

Thanks
    No H.D No sockets No Freview,Keith
    Sound Quality and picture seems good
    i have got it connected up to my Hifi.

Thanks
    Plasma is still king. there is still nothing the beats the pioneer 9g kuro's yet. for a put TV/monitor.

LCD's, even the best LCD's still lose detail on motion on camera pans especially during football matches, This is pretty obvious when you have a plasma and LCD in your field of view showing the same program.

with LCD's particularly the cheaper ones, still have a poor range of viewing angles when the picture colour is right and it doesn't look cloudy.

Thanks

Icon10 LCD Quality

Well rightly or wrongly, I have always been under the impression trhat no matter WHAT price TV you have, that LCD's have very sharp pictures but you lose out when viewing from out the sides - i.e. you mostly need to be smack in front of them for the best results, but plasmas have none of this and are also top quality for sharpness too - e.g. my Panasonic TX54 (non 3D) is magnificent, so once again it's all a matter of opinion - but MINE is to go for plasma even though I agree LCDs are excellent too!
    I only wish I'd bought my Panasonic 3 months later once the 3D versions were appearing! Glasses are currently a pain with 3D though I do agree - don't fancy having to wear them so will wait a bit yet! :respect-055:

Thanks
    I think I'm still with Holmroad, I think the angle of view is one of the most critical differences with plasma still showing a clear advantage over almost all lcds, even the led ones. I've got a 42" Pannie G20, now discontinued but bought at J*** L**** at under £600 with Freeview HD, Freesat HD and I-player, with a 5-year warranty. Decent TV with a good picture and no nonsense

Banned
    Thanks
    hiya Holmroad.. i have had my lcd 15 months now,,, LG
    sorry to repeat myself but the quality of the picture is outstanding even at the side!!!! but i preffere to look towards the tellie especially when any xxx is on ( haaaa)
    but you know something , may be its me!!!! BUT i really hate glass screens!!!! hence i didnt buy a plasma.

Thanks
    Just orderd 51" samsung d6900 for £950,comes with 2 sets of glasses(blu-tooth) and 3d blu ray player,tv comes with wifi built in has 3d
    Orderd from richer sounds

Thanks
    plasma is NO LONGER THE KING if you have read correct LED IS NOW AT THE TOP AND NOT JUST FOR 3D,just check out best tv site going av forums.

but samsung is at the top on 4th generation others on 2nd , but prob 2nd still way above plasma.

check out samsund d8000 , best looking and told best picture hd and 3d.

people always think what they have best and not always right blinkered in thier veiws on other tvs .

no i dont have led or 3d at the moment just looking at the reviews and thats what ive seen and read samsung at the top.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
    Plasma is still king. there is still nothing the beats the pioneer 9g kuro's yet. for a put TV/monitor.

LCD's, even the best LCD's still lose detail on motion on camera pans especially during football matches, This is pretty obvious when you have a plasma and LCD in your field of view showing the same program.

with LCD's particularly the cheaper ones, still have a poor range of viewing angles when the picture colour is right and it doesn't look cloudy.
    pioneer was prob the best plasma ever built , but looks like you compairing to poor lcd , ie 9(with LCD's particularly the cheaper ones)
    i would not even compair a lcd to a led , well a good one go look in the shops for yourselves , some say its only a bulb difference , im not to sure, possibly when they first came out.
    Last edited by cosworth4x4; 03-08-2011 at 11:30 PM.

V.I.P
    Thanks

Icon3

LED v. PLASMA:

CONTRAST/ BLACK LEVELS

Contrast ratio is a measure of the blackest black to the whitest white. Black levels are grouped with contrast because without deep dark black levels contrast ratio levels will be weak. With the new LED backlighting there have been tremendous improvements in black levels and contrast. Plasma achieved very high contrast levels a good while ago.
    While manufacturer specifications are overblown, unrealistic and not important to consider when considering contrast, we have been impressed by our own testing of some of the new LED TVs. The highest contrast we have measured on a post calibration ANSI checkerboard test was a plasma measuring 850:1. Plasma displays achieve such impressive black levels by using internal algorithms to block the power to particular pixels in order to render a pixel "dark" or black. While this can limit a plasma television’s gray scaling, it does produce exceptionally black blacks – depending on the manufactured plasma display element (i.e. glass).
    LCD (liquid crystal diode) displays, by contrast, utilize electric charges to twist and untwist liquid crystals, which causes them to block light and, hence, emit blacks. LED backlighting gives LCD manufacturers far greater flexibility with tools like local dimming that help to emit deep black levels.
    ADVANTAGE: PLASMA, but contrast and black levels are getting much better with LED TVs. We have measured some LED TVs that have beaten those of some plasma TVs.
    Sounds like BAD PLASMA being put against best LED, more like...

COLOUR:

COLOR ACCURACY

In plasma displays, each pixel contains red, green, and blue elements, which work in conjunction to create billions of colors. Insofar as each pixel contains all the elements needed to produce every color in the ********, color information was more accurately reproduced with plasma technology than it was with other display technologies. The chromaticity coordinates were more accurate on most plasma displays however lately LED TVs have closed this gap through manipulation of the new backlighting system. Colors can certainly be more vibrant on an LED TV while more subdued on plasma. Both are calibrating well to D6500K – the standard color temperature used in the film industry. When it comes to color, it is now coming down more to preference and room conditions than technological factors.
    ADVANTAGE: Even
    VIEWING ANGLE:

VIEWING ANGLE

This is one of the biggest areas of improvement for LED TVs aside from Black levels. Previously with LCD TVs contrast was drastically reduced when viewing the TV from 30 degrees or more off center. Lately, with some of the better LED TVs we've tested contrast does not begin to degrade significantly until 75 degree off center angle is reached. Plasma TV technology has always been perfect in this area due to each individual pixel being lit.
    ADVANTAGE: PLASMA but LED TVs are getting much better
    DEPTH PERCEPTION

This is an interesting comparison due to the new 120Hz and 240Hz refresh rate technologies in LED TVs. These faster frame rate conversions were originally presented to reduce motion lag in LCD TVs. But they also do strange things to background information, especially from film based material. Overall, I think LED backlighting has helped LCD TVs a lot in this area. The backlight can be manipulated much easier than can the pixels of a plama.
    ADVANTAGE: LED TV, but close
    BRIGHTNESS

This is an easy win for LED TVs with super bright light emitting diode backlighting. Some new plasmas have made a dramatic comback in this area though and are giving LED TVs a run for their money in brightness.
    ADVANTAGE: LED TV
    2) FUNCTIONAL CONSIDERATIONS

COMPUTER USE AND GAMING

Response rate makes a lot of difference in gaming and computer use. LED TVs response time increases to via 120Hz and 240Hz refresh rates are dramatic improvements in this area. However, plasma has no problem at all in response time and therefore is still superior.
    I have always favored LCD technology with computer resolution display. The technology seems to display computer images better.
    ADVANTAGE: EVEN
    FAST-MOVING VIDEO PLAYBACK

Due to the 120/240 refresh rates of many new LED TVs, there is much improvement in reducing motion related blur. Plasma displays have always been excellent in this are.
    But something interesting has happened. When viewing sports programming with 120/240Hz refresh rate options turned on, LED TVs display images in a more "in the picture" way. There is more background information coming forward. Foreground images really pop off the screen.
    LONGEVITY

Both LED TV and Plasma TV manufacturers tout 100,000 avg hours of use.
    SCREEN BURN IN

New plasma technologies have been developed over the past few years by top quality manufacturers to combat burn in. They work. In all of our recent tests with plasma we have not developed any image retention in the screen when leaving an image static for an hour or less.
    LED TV has no image retention concerns due to the LCD screen technology "twisting crystals".
    ADVANTAGE: I would not be concerned with either from a quality manufacturer.
    3) OTHER CONSIDERATIONS

PRODUCTION SIZE & COST

Both LED TV and Plasma televisions are readily available in larger sizes though plasma still leads the size battle by a great margin. Production plants for plasma panels were established years ago and lead the way in cost per panel. LED TV manufacturing use LCD panels with the new LED backlighting.
    ADVANTAGE: PLASMA for now
    POWER CONSUMPTION/ENERGY USAGE

As the planet becomes more green conscious, so the marketers of TVs. Though there are new energy saving technologies present on both LED and plasma TVs, most will not be used by the consumer due to the simple fact that they reduce the brightness of the picture. An economical way to extend the life of your TV and save energy is to follow our post calibration picture settings. Also see our article about calibrating your TV.
    ADVANTAGE: EVEN, it depends on the type of backlighting used in LED TVs.
    4) PRICE/VALUE

LED TVs are becoming dynamic in picture presentation. We have always liked plasma technology picture presentation. Now that Pioneer is out of the plasma production game, we realize more attention will be paid to LED TV technologies (especially by Samsung and LG). But for now there is no comparison. Plasma is much more economical on a cost per size and quality basis.
    ADVANTAGE: PLASMA
    It looks like PLASMA, still...

And it's from
    Code:
    http://led-tvbuyingguide.com/led-vs-plasma.html
    Last edited by Blagi; 04-08-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Thanks
    shame they didnt state the models and makes they are testing , also the date as samsungs 4th genaration has only come out this year , i also like the way the pictures are so dark you could not even try to guess the makes and models.

show me a latest plasma v/s a samsung 4th generation , they you may change my mind , go look at them youreself and speak to poeple in the shops (and i dont mean comet currys etc),perhaps then you will change youre mind.

Thanks
    cosworth4x4

plasma is NO LONGER THE KING if you have read correct LED IS NOW AT THE TOP AND NOT JUST FOR 3D,just check out best tv site going av forums.

Saying no more m8 ?? I have had the LOT ?? Think i have one of the Best on the Market ??

Thanks
    Chuffed with my plasma samsung but my hd projector is alot better for movies 100" screen
    Just been updated to 3d but i need the addon box wich i will get soon hhhuummm 100" 3d

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cosworth4x4 View Post
    shame they didnt state the models and makes they are testing , also the date as samsungs 4th genaration has only come out this year , i also like the way the pictures are so dark you could not even try to guess the makes and models.

show me a latest plasma v/s a samsung 4th generation , they you may change my mind , go look at them youreself and speak to poeple in the shops (and i dont mean comet currys etc),perhaps then you will change youre mind.
    I don't need to. I have what I want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast