Thread: Icecrypt SW upgrade online now working.

V.I.P
    i do not support by pm please do posts on the forums
    Thanks

Icecrypt SW upgrade online now working.

Enter "icecrypt.net/down" into the address line of the firmware upgrade server.
    select the model of your receiver(S4000 or STC6000) and then OK.

Thanks
    ive just got up off the floor.

good work!

i hope theres a nice new f/w that fixes everything waiting on that server.

Thanks
    Well, it hasn't gone to well for me.

Upgrade went well and I'm now stuck on the loader!

How do I recover from this?

Thanks
    to be honest, i do think a facility like this is quite dangerous.

online updates always seem to fook things up, this happened with my WD HDTV media player.

u cant beat manual updates.

have u tried installing the latest LOADER file mate, or the recovery image from AAF recovery tool....?

Thanks
    Not quite sure how to do either of those things.

Any tips?

Thanks

Thanks
    Can either of these two progs be used with a USB-serial cable.

My laptop doesn't have a serial com output.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight R View Post
    Can either of these two progs be used with a USB-serial cable.

My laptop doesn't have a serial com output.
    very few laptops have a com port serial output , and those that do tend to be the older ones like the hp nc6120 or hp nc6320 running windows xp

the usb to serial port adapters may work , depending on your windows os , but I would not trust them for reflashing boxes like this due to timing issues, but its your choice

the correct tools for the job are a desktop or a tower pc , that has a proper fifo serial rs232 com port interface , a suitable cable ( usually a null modem cable ) and running windows xp

I find it hard to believe that anyone told you to use a laptop for this task as most guides will tell you to use a pc

Thanks
    I've not had a desktop PC for years, LOL.

So unless a USB to serial port adapter works it'll have to wait until I next have access to a PC.

Oh well, lucky I have the Spiderbox to watch.

Thanks Icecrypt!

Thanks
    I've not had a desktop PC for years, LOL.

So unless a USB to serial port adapter works it'll have to wait until I next have access to a PC.

Oh well, lucky I have the Spiderbox to watch.

Thanks Icecrypt!
    cheap as chips on a car boot m8 , and your icecrypt has always had the serial port same as many other satellite boxes do , including dreambox , vu+ duo , technomate 1500 etc
    even your spiderbox has a serial com port on it for precisely this task should the usb procedures fail

serial port flashing has been around 20 years and if you are gonna blame anyone blame your laptop manufacturer for removing the com ports due to no demand any more LOL

as I said , you can try a usb to serial adapter , if you are running xp , vista premium or higher , or win7 professional or win7 ultimate

its hardly icecrypt or anyone elses fault that you dont maintain the tools required to deal with your boxes should problems like this occur

many people give away an old working tower or desktop on gumtree and most modern tv,s have a vga input, and as a precaution I have repaired and kept the 2 older HP laptops I listed precisely for flashing routers and sat boxes etc

the standard comment in these cases is that the person trying it has a laptop running win7 basic or win7 premium and then wonders why it doesnt work , even if they do have the usb to serial adapter ( which are very cheap to buy ). you could also try a port replicator or a cardbus serial port adapter , none of which you will own either

its worth bearing in mind that modern laptops tend to be minimalist and not at all useful for some tasks , and usb1 and usb2 are not always your saviour

you could have used a usb stick , it was your choice to make , and flashing any box always carries a risk

Thanks
    Thanks for the info Ech.

However, on the issue of placing blame my view is that if a manufacturer lists a facility to upgrade their products F/W without providing a caveat that if it doesn't work the punter will need to recover their STB with equipment that they might not have, then I think it fair to feel at least a little agrrieved if things don't work out.

Perhaps ColdasIce's original post should be amended to reflect the dangers of using their online upgrade. I for one was unaware that it might brick my box.

Anyway, thankfully I don't rely upon the Icecrypt for viewing so I'm not that fussed.

Thanks
    when you say its stuck on the loader - what do u mean excatly?

whats on the display?

Thanks
    Thanks for the info Ech.

However, on the issue of placing blame my view is that if a manufacturer lists a facility to upgrade their products F/W without providing a caveat that if it doesn't work the punter will need to recover their STB with equipment that they might not have, then I think it fair to feel at least a little agrrieved if things don't work out.

Perhaps ColdasIce's original post should be amended to reflect the dangers of using their online upgrade. I for one was unaware that it might brick my box.

Anyway, thankfully I don't rely upon the Icecrypt for viewing so I'm not that fussed.
    you need to check with icecrypt and your manual to see what it says about upgrading official firmware

I do not think coldasice is the manufacturer , nor do I think the site listed is , nor do I think the downloads we get are from their website either

I think you have assumed far too much there

my point is that even where products do come from a manufacturers site you tend to find there is always a risk in flashing the box , router , phone , tv , dvd recorder , playstation , wii , xbox , media centres and many other sundry items that we seem to take it for granted on , so you see similar problems on dozens of forums where flashing the ITEM has failed and a recovery process required

there are threads in this very forum where COLD has said he has boxes that are bricked , one reply to manik-m for definite

so its a chance you take with official and unofficial firmware , and a risk you have taken every time you flashed the spiderbox , the only difference being we would have this convo in the spiderbox section if you had bricked your spiderbox , or the dreambox section had it been a dreambox , or the tm9100 section had it been a tm9100 , or the psp section had it been a psp , but with similar caveats and conclusions

so yes , maybe coldasice should have warned on the pitfalls of online download + flashing , but he probably thought you knew the risks

it seems another member has similar problems on this forum , so my advice remains the same if he reads this

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    it seems another member has similar problems on this forum , so my advice remains the same if he reads this
    Oh dear, it looks like this forum may end up a lonely place

Thanks
    Well, it hasn't gone to well for me.

Upgrade went well and I'm now stuck on the loader!

How do I recover from this?
    İam in the same boat but my up date was from a memeory stick now stuck onloader L1.23 tried to force down load by putting the memory stick in reboot the receiver whilst push the up channel button got to read 86 % then rebooted to L1.23nothing else

Thanks
    Oh dear, it looks like this forum may end up a lonely place
    ive been lonely on here for a while

File Guy
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaza View Post
    İam in the same boat but my up date was from a memeory stick now stuck onloader L1.23 tried to force down load by putting the memory stick in reboot the receiver whilst push the up channel button got to read 86 % then rebooted to L1.23nothing else
    This will only work if the firmware you are trying to load doesn't have a app layer upgrade. If it does then the upgrade is rejected.
    Serial recovery is the only solution in this case.

Thanks
    Does anyone know if this is still working. I just bought a new STC 6000 to replace the old one that blew up and when I select the upgrade server and press ok to list the downloads it just gives me an http 404 message "HTTP 404 - File not found".I am using the address "icecrypt.net/down", there is no place to enter the box type but it is listed on the panel and from memory (from my old blown up box) it looks the same settings.
    Can anybody check to see if the site is working and it is just me?

V.I.P
    i do not support by pm please do posts on the forums
    Thanks
    down at present as the server is being moved.