Thread: azbox android os

Thanks

azbox android os

hi guys i know this has nothing to do with E2 but i was wondering would it be possible to port android os to azbox as this operating system has so much possibilities

Thanks
    lol that has to be random question of the decade.

i can just see myself taking pictures with my azbox, and talking into one end.

Thanks
    the operating system has been ported to boxes and has almost any app you could wish for
    just wish someone could port it and add support for digital tv.
    the operating system is linux and also has an internet browser.
    in my oppinion if someone could do this for this box it would be an awsome set top box.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I wonder what you want to port,since there is no DVB support in android.

Thanks
    But it offers support for your 42inch Plasma Touchscreen

Banned
    Thanks
    its not realy as crazy as some of you are makeing out all it needs is the dvb support and there would be an amaving little stb ANDROIOD-TV ppl say i`m a dreamer .... b ut am not the only one lmao

Thanks
    Can we have Iphone O/S as then I wouldn't need to buy an over priced phone. LOL

Not sure how to get the Azbox in my pocket though?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wullieb25 View Post
    hi guys i know this has nothing to do with E2 but i was wondering would it be possible to port android os to azbox as this operating system has so much possibilities
    http://source.android.com/source/download.html

Have at it. Report back when you're done.

Thanks
    ok done! You can download your new fully compatible Android STB OS from here www . awesome os .com

No need to thank me

Thanks
    the difference with android is that its open scource and can be used as a very good set top box where as iphone os is not

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGIFA View Post
    its not realy as crazy as some of you are makeing out all it needs is the dvb support and there would be an amaving little stb ANDROIOD-TV ppl say i`m a dreamer .... b ut am not the only one lmao
    maybe but its a dream that could come true if someone was willingto work on it:respect-055:

Thanks
    information from ref://http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/06/mips_android_stb_ces/
    MIPS squeezes Android into set-top box
    Alert PrintRetweetFacebookCommercially available. Someday

By Austin Modine in San Francisco • Get more from this author

Posted in Hardware, 6th January 2010 06:02 GMT

Free Event - Video in the workplace

MIPS Technologies is hoping Google's Android OS can find fame and fortune outside the mobile world where Google hasn't set its sights on making a device of its own (yet).

The California-based chip designer plans to trot out what it reckons will be the first commercially available set-top boxes based on the Android OS, along with a MIPS-based media center and netbooks at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week.

Although Google designed the Linux-based Android OS as a mobile stack, after the search giant open-sourced the platform back in September 2009, numerous firms have been eager to push Android into ARM-based netbooks, e-readers, and other devices. After porting Android to its MIPS microprocessor architecture earlier in 2009, the company reckons it can make the Google OS catch on as a standard platform for notably non-portable household electronics. And it was only really a matter of time before it found its way to set-top boxes.

At CES, MIPS will demonstrate an Android-based set-top box it claims will be the first of its kind to be commercially available. The box was made in a partnership between DTV system maker Western Mediabridge and system-on-a-chip provider, Sigma Designs.

Of course, we immediately wondered just exactly how commercial and how available the box would be for its claims — yet alas, representatives from both Western Mediabridge and Sigma weren't available to provide pricing and release date information.

Looks nice though...

The companies have grand hopes for the platform.

"We anticipate there will be a lot of Android-based products and applications in the near future which will be connected to each other," said Ernest Bang, CEO of Western Mediabridge in a statement. "Our belief is that the Android set-top box will be positioned as a main device among in-home Android-based multimedia devices. We will continue to add more applications, making a more feature-rich Android set-top box."

MIPS will also demo a prototype of an Android-based IPTV set-top box developed by KDDI R&D Labs, a subsidiary of Japanese telecom carrier KDDI. The box will support IPTV set-top functions like multicasting and video-on-demand, and MIPS claims it will meet the DRM requirements of cable providers.

In addition, MIPS will show off a MIP-based netbook computer using Android, dubbed the YeeLoong8089. (Rolls of the tongue, donnit?) Created by China's Lemote Technology, the company claims the small, cheap computer is loaded with 100 per cent free software. ®

V.I.P
    Thanks
    wullieb25
    First of all,they are building an stb with commercial purposes,what are they going to tell you,that is crap?
    Are you that naive?
    And second,what is your problem with Linux? is also open source and has amazing support for DVB.
    Third,THIS IS NOT WHERE YOU WANT TO ASK ABOUT DVB SUPPORT FOR ANDROID,YOU MUST ASK IN ANDROID FORUMS.

BTW, you can ask this guys

_http://code.google.com/p/archos-gen8-dvb/

They will find the same problems E2 people is having : no access to private information to build drivers.
    Last edited by kebien; 08-03-2011 at 12:30 PM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Android is a version of Linux. Starting with the kernal

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Correct,zeke.
    In that link you can see there is plenty of linux.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ManikM View Post
    lol that has to be random question of the decade.

i can just see myself taking pictures with my azbox, and talking into one end.
    LOL....
    Thats cheered up my morning...

Thanks
    Last edited by wullieb25; 28-05-2011 at 11:37 PM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I thought processor and memory might be the limitation one can't get over - as far as the old boxes are concerned...

Even the new smaller unit allegedly couldn't handle it - correct?

So, it remains for Me and the announced Twin Tuner unit?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    [ingnore blagi mode off]

I thought processor and memory might be the limitation one can't get over - as far as the old boxes are concerned...

Even the new smaller unit allegedly couldn't handle it - correct?

So, it remains for Me and the announced Twin Tuner unit?
    The announcement off Android fw is only for the ME not the miniME or old boxes ( see specs off Me and miniME)

Furthermore there's no new twintuner announced, the Premium Plus will be the twintuner for now and in the future

[ingnore blagi mode on]